What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Sandman

Giga Poster
Have to agree with Lofty's point there; the second half looks better than areas of Helix in my opinion. The pacing looks great, almost Taron-esque. Also, even if this was just a "really good" coaster, by UK standard, it will technically be world class ;)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
There is no way that this will be bad. Even if it is very rattly, airtimeless or boring (I hope it'll have none of these), it'll still be better than the blue coaster next to it.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Nemesis isn't tall, it isn't that fast and it only has 4 inversions yet Walter Bolliger still considers it the best B&M invert.
As do I :)
I just think the lack of one defining wow factor has reduced my excitement for this a bit. It's mainly the speed - Taron's two launches are phenomenal and knowing that this will be quite a bit slower and also lack the amazing theming, I don't see it living up to those high standards.
Again, as I said, I'm sure this will be a great ride but right now I'm not massively excited about it. I hope it does live up to expectations and proves that a coaster can be top class without having some kind of record, as I think that's important for the UK industry in future.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I still think the first half will be a bit of a snoozefest, the 2nd half will be better, but I still think it looks tame compared to Helix.
Plus we all know that Mack's launches are, lets face it, poor. Compared to Intamin's anyway.
That said, it will still be the best coaster at Blackpool, and should be one of the best creds in the country.

Obviously I'd love to be proved wrong but there is a direct comparison to both Helix and Taron on this install and it's hard to get really excited about something which looks sub par based on concept art/povs.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I really don't understand the notion that this looks sub par. The first half looks good and the second half looks fantastic, just as good as Helix or Taron look without personally having ridden either.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I really don't understand the notion that this looks sub par. The first half looks good and the second half looks fantastic, just as good as Helix or Taron look without personally having ridden either.
I disagree, the first half seems to lack airtime and directional changes, this combined with the slow launch speed could be a real low point of the ride. I'm fully expecting the 2nd half to be a lot lot better though. I just don't think the whole package will be as good as Helix or any of it be as mental as Taron.
I've ridden both at numerous points throughout the day, both are very good early on but become top 10 worthy at night. I can't even see a night ride on Icon breaking my top 10 currently.
Again, I want to be wrong, but that first half could either suck, or be just decent.

balrog

Mega Poster
You made me rewatch the animated POV, I actually don't think it looks any less intense than Taron. The slow launch speed might change than, I reckon, but I wouldn't bet on any side as of now.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
You made me rewatch the animated POV, I actually don't think it looks any less intense than Taron. The slow launch speed might change than, I reckon, but I wouldn't bet on any side as of now.
Yep, It's the slower launch speed that's making me think this. The POV was before they announced the reduction in speed I think. If it runs at the speed of the POV it's got a chance but why give a lower speed if it's a red herring?!
I do love the look of that 2nd half though.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Mack launches compared to Intamin launches. It's never going to be as intense. (Plus, zero theming).

Helix is a fairer comparison, albeit minus the fabulous hillside location.
Unless they pull something incredible out of the bag, it's fair to expect this to be less intense/fast/etc. than either Taron or Helix. That's not to say it's going to be a bad ride.
The one gimmick Icon has, that Helix doesn't, is the number of near misses. Those are going to make or break this coaster by giving it an added 'sensation of speed'.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I don't know anything about any 'reduction in speed' but the current RCDB stats speak for themselves:
Helix: 62.1 mph
Taron: 72.7 mph
Icon: 49.7 mph

I know, speed isn't everything. And we should always wait for the final result. But...

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Helix: 62.1 mph
Taron: 72.7 mph
Icon: 49.7 mph

Anyone know the speed of Tarons first launch? Think it would be interesting to compare that with Icons speed. Also although Helix has a relatively high top speed I'd imagine this comes during one of the lower parts of the layout, and therefore could potentially have a substantially lower average speed.

A much more worrying comparison is to Star Trek at MoviePark which has a top speed of 55.9 mph which seems slow in POV's and Offride shots but when ridden doesn't feel particularly slow.

Just praying the park arent stingey with the electricity bills and end up launching as slowly as possible.

Whilst i think it does look incredible i can see peoples worries about the speed but renderings are awful at conveying a true sense of that, i do think the POV looks really good, add to that the interaction with the area and other creds and I cant see this coaster not being at least my UK number 1.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
So Helix is just over 10mph faster than Icon. I usually find that to an extent once you hit about 45mph speed doesn't matter too much and it's more about the ride elements and how they've been designed.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that a 50mph ride can feel faster than an 80mph ride with good track profiling.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
And what do you mean, speed reduction?

Where have Pleasure Beach announced a reduction in speed? It's something that was fabricated on another forum and for whatever reason has gained traction as though it is an actual fact!

I believe when it was first announced the speed was in the 50 something mph range, then when officially announced by Blackpool the number went down. But I can't be arsed to trail through 60 odd pages to find it. Maybe someone else can be bothered, or remembers. Blackpool probably never gave the first number out, and may have been internet rumour, God knows, I just remember discussing it at the time.

It is the slowest of the 3 big ones though, and while speed isn't everything at all. I bet the first half of this is nowhere near it's top speed.

balrog

Mega Poster
Mack launches compared to Intamin launches. It's never going to be as intense. (Plus, zero theming).
Thanks for the "you are wrong because (insert totally unrelated stuff)". We were comparing layouts, especially the first half of it (the part between the two launches). We all know that neither the launches nor the theming are ever going to be comparable with Taron's.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Anyone know the speed of Tarons first launch? Think it would be interesting to compare that with Icons speed. Also although Helix has a relatively high top speed I'd imagine this comes during one of the lower parts of the layout, and therefore could potentially have a substantially lower average speed.

A much more worrying comparison is to Star Trek at MoviePark which has a top speed of 55.9 mph which seems slow in POV's and Offride shots but when ridden doesn't feel particularly slow.

Just praying the park arent stingey with the electricity bills and end up launching as slowly as possible.

Whilst i think it does look incredible i can see peoples worries about the speed but renderings are awful at conveying a true sense of that, i do think the POV looks really good, add to that the interaction with the area and other creds and I cant see this coaster not being at least my UK number 1.

As a matter of fact, the first launch of Helix reaches a top speed of 80kmh, the speed of Icon. And it goes quite fast there, so it should be alright.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I believe when it was first announced the speed was in the 50 something mph range, then when officially announced by Blackpool the number went down. But I can't be arsed to trail through 60 odd pages to find it. Maybe someone else can be bothered, or remembers. Blackpool probably never gave the first number out, and may have been internet rumour, God knows, I just remember discussing it at the time.

It is the slowest of the 3 big ones though, and while speed isn't everything at all. I bet the first half of this is nowhere near it's top speed.
Icon's speed has been unchanged since the initial announcement in September 2016.