What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

sandgrown

Mega Poster
We don't need really excessive theming at the Pleasure Beach. I don't see why the park has to fit into a pretty narrow enthusiast paradigm. The Pleasure Beach didn't even use the words "theme park" in its advertising until Mandy took over. Because it isn't one really. I want an old-fashioned fairground with oversized rides all on top of each other. It's the chaos, the contrast of the old and new, even clean and dirty, that makes BPB different from the rest. I don't like Nickelodeon Land, nor the advent of stupid sponsorship on individual rides. The only important thing is that the rides are fundamentally good, and that's where we've fallen behind.

Signed,
Sandgrown.
Chairman
Pleasure Beach Luddites.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We don't need really excessive theming at the Pleasure Beach. I don't see why the park has to fit into a pretty narrow enthusiast paradigm. The Pleasure Beach didn't even use the words "theme park" in its advertising until Mandy took over. Because it isn't one really. I want an old-fashioned fairground with oversized rides all on top of each other. It's the chaos, the contrast of the old and new, even clean and dirty, that makes BPB different from the rest. I don't like Nickelodeon Land, nor the advent of stupid sponsorship on individual rides. The only important thing is that the rides are fundamentally good, and that's where we've fallen behind.
Totally agree. Which is why I think it's a bit of a shame to see this (honestly, half arsed) theming on Icon. Just shove it in there and get on with it I say!

sandgrown

Mega Poster
At least Icon HAS theming.

Bollocks. Rip it out and replace it with a kiosk and turnstile manned by a bloke called Reg, who permanently has a tab hanging out of the left side of his mouth. Ban wristbands. It's either 2 "A" ride tickets or 2 quid cash, which Reg can illicitly pocket, and spend on Carling in the Funshine Club once his shift finishes.
That's REAL theming.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I haven't ridden Helix, Blue Fire, or any other Mack launch coaster, but based on what others have said, I don't imagine Icon being any close to Helix. I understand why others rate Helix incredibly high, and it has a much more impressive layout than Icon. I think Icon will be a very fun ride, probably the best in the park, but the layout and speed doesn't look Top 10 material to me.

Matt N

CF Legend
I still reckon Icon has a chance of beating Mako as my top coaster if it's incredibly good. If it's going to be my number 1, I think it needs to have decent airtime of some sort. Or to be intense with some nice corners, while still being really smooth. Do you guys reckon Icon looks to have lots of good airtime?