What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Just wondering if the ride will be featuring Single Rider/use of Speedy Pass? I haven't seen or heard of anything yet.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Not heard anything of a single rider queue, and as the park currently has zero, I won't be building my hopes up.
I recall shouts from the ride staff on the big one in early days asking single riders to push forward to fill single seats, I think that is as good as we are going to get.
Single shot queuejumpers are more than likely to happen as well, separate from speedypass bolt ons.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It'd be cool to stand on the exit bridge between the two launches and watch the coaster going round above you.

Oh, and the east side of Big Dipper's lift hill (next to Icon) is being painted grey.

Last edited:

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Thought they had said all the woodies weren't going to be painted anymore?

I was going to post that. Did we see it from the Ples themselves? I've only seen it reported second-hand.
ETA - I suppose that the Roller Coaster has to keep its stupid name and colour until its corporate whoring runs out.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I wrote this as a reply on a different forum about the Financial Health of The Pleasure Beach and thought I might as well share it here. (Is there a general Blackpool Pleasure Beach Thread? I couldn't find it, sorry)

I've dived into their Annual Filings to Companies House to see what their financials have looked like since 1987.

In short: Blackpool do have financial issues, a high debt level and seem to rely on new investments to produce profit. They've improved a lot over the years though, it also shows just how much Valhalla and Pleasureland Southport affected the company.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
I wrote this as a reply on a different forum about the Financial Health of The Pleasure Beach and thought I might as well share it here. (Is there a general Blackpool Pleasure Beach Thread? I couldn't find it, sorry)

I've dived into their Annual Filings to Companies House to see what their financials have looked like since 1987.

In short: Blackpool do have financial issues, a high debt level and seem to rely on new investments to produce profit. They've improved a lot over the years though, it also shows just how much Valhalla and Pleasureland Southport affected the company.

Pleasure Beach fell on hard times in 2004 and got hit hard during the recession but they're still here and still doing the best they can with the resources they've got.

Icon looks amazing from 200ft up;

Peet

Giga Poster
Interesting stuff, although I would suggest it needs its own topic - mods?

Of course profit can mean a lot of different things - does it account for investments and devaluation of assets, or is it simply income minus operating costs?
I hope and expect to see a big boost this year with Icon, and the new hotel a little further down the line. It's great that they are still making major investments, unlike many other UK parks (Oakwood, LWV, M&Ds etc).

Last edited:

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Interesting stuff, although I would siggest it needs its own topic - mods?

Of course profit can mean a lot of different things - does it account for investments and devaluation of assets, or is it simply income minus operating costs?
I hope and expect to see a big boost this year with Icon, and the new hotel a little further down the line. It's great that they are still making major investments, unlike many other UK parks (Oakwood, LWV, M&Ds etc).

They actually break it down in the filing, in short it's turnover - 'cost of sales' (operations) - 'administrative expenses' (wages, advertising etc) - loan interest/repayments. I would guess that some of ICONs construction would be included in 'cost of sales' or 'administrative expenses' but it doesn't break it down that far.

It's actually very well worth reading the filing. They are honest about the park and it shows some of the behind the scenes stuff that goes into running a park.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01876267/filing-history (select 'Accounts' and then pick a year)

@Scott88 I'm not dissing Pleasure Beach in the slightest, in fact the opposite! It seems (financially) very well run despite the debts. You can tell from 2004 the recovery it's made thanks mainly to Amanda and her team. I'd like to see some improvements to the park and especially advertising but that's a separate issue.

I'm happy to spin this out to a new topic, the accounts/filings have a wealth of information in them.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Db3IpnjXcAEAB65.jpg

Db3IpniXUAAkZG1.jpg

Db3IpngXUAAehgF.jpg

Db3IpnlX4AEUzq1.jpg

^Those red bollards have the names on them of people who were involved in Icon (you can see Roland Mack's name on the second one to the far right).

The ride is coming on nicely, and there's less than 4 weeks to go until the big day!

Matt N

CF Legend
Looks really good now it's all starting to come together! I'm riding this in the summer, and I can't wait! My first ever Mack launch coaster, and my first ever Mack thrill coaster, for that matter! If it's really good, then it could potentially topple Mako as my number 1 coaster! We'll have to wait and see!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^That is a far stretch. Shambhala is my number 1 and I didn't think Blue Fire was anywhere near as good, however I definitely think Icon will be better than BF.

Matt N

CF Legend
^That is a far stretch. Shambhala is my number 1 and I didn't think Blue Fire was anywhere near as good, however I definitely think Icon will be better than BF.
As soon as I said about it toppling Mako, I remembered that stunning airtime and the great forces and speed and instantly regretted my statement. Not forgetting the smoothness.