What's new

Best period to visit a theme park?

iac17

Mega Poster
So this summer i'm going for a coaster trip in the US
i'll visit Cedar Point, Kings Island, Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, Dollywood and Carowinds
This made me wander: What's the best period(during the summer brake: i'm going to be free from the 8th of june until the 10th of september) to make this trip without having to face long queues?
i would love to hear your opinion and suggestion
Also what's your favorite time of the year to visit a theme park?
(mine is the first weeks of april)

Sandman

Giga Poster
Early autumn. There's always a bit of warmth still in the air from the summer months, but you also get that magical autumnal glow, golden leaves scattered everywhere... and mostly quiet parks! The transition period from summer to Halloween season is a fab time to take advantage of.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Early autumn. There's always a bit of warmth still in the air from the summer months, but you also get that magical autumnal glow, golden leaves scattered everywhere... and mostly quiet parks! The transition period from summer to Halloween season is a fab time to take advantage of.
It's not that easy in the US though, after the 3rd or 4th of Sep(Labour Day IIRC) they all go into Weekend Mode, no midweek parks for the Americans. They are still pretty busy on the weekends, especially when they start Halloween events.
Europe, definitely, but not over the pond. April is quiet, but again you have weekend issues. I've been told Early June is the best time, hence my trip this year being early June ;)

iac17

Mega Poster
During the summer, always go on a wednsday or tuesday. That's what I've heard.
i know but i can spend 2 weeks in the us and i have to visit all the parks in those week
but i'll try to go on usually busier parks during Wednesday and tuesday and save parks like holiday world for the weekends

Sandman

Giga Poster
It's not that easy in the US though, after the 3rd or 4th of Sep(Labour Day IIRC) they all go into Weekend Mode, no midweek parks for the Americans. They are still pretty busy on the weekends, especially when they start Halloween events.
Europe, definitely, but not over the pond. April is quiet, but again you have weekend issues. I've been told Early June is the best time, hence my trip this year being early June ;)

Mine wasn't advice as such, just a response to "what's your favorite time of the year to visit a theme park?" question :p I suppose different parks in the US will also have some slight differences in when their quieter periods are.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Even though there are very few of them, try to go during a weekday when local schools are still in. If you're free from Late August thru Early September, definitely try going to parks then. The later, the better.

But if you're stuck with going during the summer, try aiming for Early June. Just try to avoid anything in July and most of August. It's absolutely brutal then.

iac17

Mega Poster
Even though there are very few of them, try to go during a weekday when local schools are still in. If you're free from Late August thru Early September, definitely try going to parks then. The later, the better.

But if you're stuck with going during the summer, try aiming for Early June. Just try to avoid anything in July and most of August. It's absolutely brutal then.
i think we'll go the first weeks of june i saving the end of august for a trip in germany, poland and the nederland (i hope to find hyperion open)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Mine wasn't advice as such, just a response to "what's your favorite time of the year to visit a theme park?" question :p I suppose different parks in the US will also have some slight differences in when their quieter periods are.
Ah fair enough, I didn't read the question in the opening post, more the Post Subject itself.
In that case I agree with you. I love visiting in early autumn when the kids are in school and you get the different shades of leaves as October closes in.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Totally agree with autumn, especially in Europe. Not necessarily for Halloween, just when the air's getting colder and the trees are in colour and there's no one around. <3

Howie

Donkey in a hat
For a US trip, defo early June. As soon as the parks are open 7 days a week, smash them before the kids breaks up from school a few weeks later.

In response to the 'favourite time of year' question, it's gotta be Spring time for me. Late March/early April when the parks open (but avoiding the Easter holiday). Crowds are low, lovely Springtime weather and parks always feel more exciting when you've had a few months off.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
i know but i can spend 2 weeks in the us and i have to visit all the parks in those week
but i'll try to go on usually busier parks during Wednesday and tuesday and save parks like holiday world for the weekends
Exactly. I’m planning a similar trip right now, and I’m thinking KI and CP M, Tu, W, Th, but KK and HW I’m doing the weekend before because I figure that even if they’re crowded I can still get in all five coasters for each park.

iac17

Mega Poster
Exactly. I’m planning a similar trip right now, and I’m thinking KI and CP M, Tu, W, Th, but KK and HW I’m doing the weekend before because I figure that even if they’re crowded I can still get in all five coasters for each park.
yeah, i dont expect both HW and KK to be extremely busy especially during the first week of june, maybe we are not going to be able to marathon Storm chaser and The Voyage however we are certely going to be able to take the credits