What's new

Battlestar Galactica - Duelling Coaster for Singapore

costar

Mega Poster
Is there a reason why we are still writing in "News and Rumours" when construction of this ride is well underway along with 3 or 4 other coasters at Universal Singapore?

I noticed somebody tried to start a construction topic but it got locked - is that just because nobody really lives nearby and so it doesn't warrant a thread? Not that I mind, I'm just asking.

I'll guess we'll just have put updates here for now. This is a picture a bit like the one Loefet posted in the locked thread. The other track will be red - bit of a shame really as blue and red hardly suit the Battlestar theme.

db_2009_0529_USS051.jpg

From the looks of the model (which apparently appeared in First Drop magazine) this ride is gonna be pretty special. Loving the interlocked cobra roll and high-level helix over water as well as the vertical loop threaded by BOTH lift hills. Let's hope they get the timing right...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ah! it was locked because this topic is better... I didn't realise it wasn't in Construction though :lol:

Sorted :)

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
costar said:
From the looks of the model (which apparently appeared in First Drop magazine) this ride is gonna be pretty special. Loving the interlocked cobra roll and high-level helix over water as well as the vertical loop threaded by BOTH lift hills. Let's hope they get the timing right...

Anyone have a picture of this model?

A

Anonymous

^ I'm not sure if there are any pictures on the web, and I don't want to post any pictures due to copyright violations...

Gazza

Giga Poster
Is it possible to do something like a rough sketch showing what it will be like, rather than posting the images?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Holy ****ing ****!

That looks stunning. I'm actually very pleased with this. If they can get the trains in sync. perfectly then it's going to look fantastic. I hope the interactions are good onride too, the inverted side and the normal side should allow that to happen. I felt some of the interactions on DD were a bit lost because you couldn't really see the other train. Let's just hope this isn't the same!

Is kinda a shame though, I didn't really want to go to Dubai.

spicy

Giga Poster
I think it just looks like a mess of track and supports though, DD at IoA looks stunning and clear cut.

This Vekoma track just doesn't look no where near as good, its way over supported.

Could be a good coaster though, its hard to make out the layouts from those pictures.

Ben

CF Legend
Hixee said:

OK, how do you feel about Singapore though?

I agree about it looking like a bit of a mess, there doesn't seem to be any moments one can just point at and go "that's a duel"

And the sit-down looks to be dull as hell, is it meant to be the "family half"?

I reserve judgement though.

I've never looked at this topic, but dayumm, this looks like it could be pretty interesting! I have to agree with Ben though, the sit down side doesn't look as good as the inverted side (which looks awesome).

Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I was predicting the sit down one would be the family one...

As for the duels...

It appears that the sit down will go past the top of the invert loop, so you'll be able to look sideways and see a trainload of people go past upside-down.

Edit: OK, so I had another look at the first drop. What looks like will happen is that the invert drops down, meanwhile the sitdown drops more steeply and cuts under the feet of the invert at high speed, it then curves around and up, and flys by the invert as it traverses the mid part of the cobra, and then whips around a helix and races the invert out of the element....Thats 3 interactions in the first element alone.

Anyhow, I can't wait for this...not only because it looks like a cool ride, but because I really want to see how vekoma pull off completely new trains and restraints together in the one ride.

The one thing that is interesting though...It's the first full circuit invert with a straight first drop.

Dave

CF Legend
Never say something is over-supported....its supported like that for a reason, not to be visually pleasing for an enthusiast.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ben said:
Hixee said:

OK, how do you feel about Singapore though?

I agree about it looking like a bit of a mess, there doesn't seem to be any moments one can just point at and go "that's a duel"

And the sit-down looks to be dull as hell, is it meant to be the "family half"?

I reserve judgement though.
Singapore would be great. Dubai sucks. It's lucky they're not building a huge duelling coaster there! :oops:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That layout is extremely hard to follow. Those picture angles don't help either. I can't really tell what happens after the cobra roll. I'll just wait until it's complete...

Gazza

Giga Poster
Worth mentioning, but at the end of the vid are a couple of pics that can be put together to show the layout properly:

So the invert goes Drop, Cobra, 360 Helix, Corkscrew, 270 Turn, Drop, Loop in pit around lift hill, turnaround, inline twist (or Zero G, depends how it ends up in real life), helix, brakes.

The sit down seems to just be a heap of turns, with a hill beside the loop.

A

Anonymous

db_2009_0831_Battlestar01.jpg

Pic from Screamscape.

Is it just me or are those white things on the lift LIM/LSM units?

I can't really see anything that points towards the use of a chain on the pictures that have been posted...

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Yeh it looks like it because if you look at he track on the Inverted coaster there's no trace of a chain lift!

Gazza

Giga Poster
I swore I saw it mentioned elsewhere that it was going to be launched anyway.

Regardless, the ride looks like it will be awesome, but I really do hope Vekoma have shaken the monkey of roughness off their back for this one. I do still find it curious they didn't go for a grey colour scheme, given it themed to robots and space.