What's new

Bad Experiences with Other Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
I haven't had any bad experiences with other enthusiasts, because the biggest one that I go with is usually me. I kind of feel bad for people in the group sometimes due to my spouting.

bmac

Giga Poster
I had the misfortune of going to Kings Dominion on the same day as the Virginia is for Coaster Lovers event, and got a nice, kind mouthful about how great of a user I am by some enthusiasts waiting in line for Flight of Fear. I didn't know how disliked I was by CoasterCrew even though I've never met any of those people before, but my handle got tossed around a bit. I guess being a casual member of a 'rival' site is enough to get blacklisted or something? I don't know how the internet works with this stuff.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wow. I didn't know that either - how weird. Which rival site then? You're absolutely fine on here, couldn't see why anyone would see you as a poor contributor.

bmac

Giga Poster
furie said:
Wow. I didn't know that either - how weird. Which rival site then? You're absolutely fine on here, couldn't see why anyone would see you as a poor contributor.

Parkfans Network. Literally the only things the two sites have in common are that they cover the two parks in Virginia, that's it.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I find it quite entertaining some of the battles that have gone on. I personally dont have an allegiance anywhere (post here most frequently as it is the most user friendly layout).

As others have stated, it is basic human psychology 101. Genetically people like being apart of a pack or a group, and when they are accepted into a group they elevate its status, and discount others.

People join TPR, ACE, Roller Coaster Club of _________ to feel like they belong to something. Its the same thing with frats in College.

I, on the other hand, or my like a Sheldon from Big Bang. I fail to see the fun in paying for friends and the need to socialize in large packs of adults at parks that are designed to entertain children. Its bad enough I run from coaster to coaster on my own.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
I find it quite entertaining some of the battles that have gone on. I personally dont have an allegiance anywhere (post here most frequently as it is the most user friendly layout).

As others have stated, it is basic human psychology 101. Genetically people like being apart of a pack or a group, and when they are accepted into a group they elevate its status, and discount others.

People join TPR, ACE, Roller Coaster Club of _________ to feel like they belong to something. Its the same thing with frats in College.

I, on the other hand, or my like a Sheldon from Big Bang. I fail to see the fun in paying for friends and the need to socialize in large packs of adults at parks that are designed to entertain children. Its bad enough I run from coaster to coaster on my own.

Sanest poster on the internet award goes to^
That's what makes me giggles about enthusiats in general, but especially parks/coasters. It's supposed to be fun! This isn't even music or movies where you can at least get the elitism...it's roller coasters for christs sake! No need for rivalries and arrogance.
I just like monitoring both sites so I never miss ANY info and see who's offering what trips. Maximizing my coaster wealth! The serenity of CF is also a nice change of pace sometimes :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
JJLehto said:
The serenity of CF is also a nice change of pace sometimes :lol:

OMG. You wouldn't have said that in a few years ago. The ten page enormous arguments, bannings left right and centre. The site was a a boiling mass of angst , anger and petty back stabbing.

I miss those days ;)

Screaming Coasters said:
... Coaster enthusiasts who are socially inept when it comes to conversations, other than roller coasters.

Ahhhhh... The original of the goon :)

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
furie said:
JJLehto said:
The serenity of CF is also a nice change of pace sometimes :lol:

OMG. You wouldn't have said that in a few years ago. The ten page enormous arguments, bannings left right and centre. The site was a a boiling mass of angst , anger and petty back stabbing.

I miss those days ;)

haha like most other forums... I guess you guys weeded all that crap out. Nothing is as bad as progarchives, that place made me legit angry and maybe took a year off my life :lol:

Anyway sorry to derail, I just don't really see enthusiasts often, I go to parks with my normal GP friends.
What I have seen here and IRL most seem like down to earth fine people. The bad enthusiasts hopefully just keep to themselves.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oddly, they all left - citing each other as their reasons for leaving :lol: We didn't really do anything at all.

It's actually a shame, because contention and strong opinion are invaluable in my opinion for good discussion. I'm not talking about personal insults, but if somebody honestly, genuinely thinks something is awful, they should be allowed to say so and back up their arguments. Likewise somebody who thinks the complete opposite should also get the floor and a chance to put forward their opinions.

We're often incredibly blind and ignorant, living in our own little worlds. We need people to disagree with us to expand our horizons. It's always a difficult balance though and a lot of people see things too personally. It's unfortunate, but at the end of the day, we do this for fun. If you find yourself always arguing and getting stressed on a site, then you're no longer doing it for fun.

Personally, I find the debate and argument fun, so I'll argue the toss until the cows come home :lol:

It's amazing how different people can be in real life though compared to online. I know that posting online gives you a "barrier", but some people who you'd think would be awful people, are really nice. Talking to them you see things from a different perspective as in real life, being social is a much more complex, two way thing. You can see when somebody is enjoying the debate, not just arguing. Or if somebody is thinking about what you've said. It's very different to the black and white world of text on a screen.

I've rarely found anyone a real chore to deal with in real life - I think it's a real leveller forcing people to actually deal with you face to face and most people are exceptionally reasonable and pleasant company. Obviously there are exceptions ;)

Kebab

Giga Poster
I haven't had a bad experience, but I've had an awkward one. :lol:

At The Smiler live this year I was talking with Ian and someone I've never seen before, I shook his hand and asked him his name. He said 'Dan Farrell'.

And here was me pausing for a few seconds and saying 'I swear I know your name from somewhere...'

Little did I know he was the CoasterForce God! :eek:

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Dan was genuinely a lovely guy, with an epic beard. It was surreal hearing him talk about coasters as he literally knew, well, nothing about anything Alton-related post-2005 or so.

I have brushed up with a few other enthusiast groups and individuals over the years. Probably the weirdest and most notable experience I had was with RCCGB after the fail of Saw Media Day. I was in attendance with Ride Guide (as CF spited people supposed to be in school ;) ) and posted a report on CF and as I - at this point - had no clue who Andy Hine was, I assumed the guy who stood up and told us Saw had failed was a Thorpe manager or somebody, so described him as such on my trip report.

In the car park as we left, this guy in a car approached us and invited us to the RCCGB ERT event on Saw. I didn't realise it was the same guy as, quite frankly, I was annoyed at how the day had gone and he was in a tiny car much lower down than me.

When I went to the ERT event, Andy Hine came up to me with print outs from the CF forum and tried claiming some "little kid called ciallkennett" called him a "ponce in a jacket".

I never called him that at all in any of my posts, but at that moment I realised why somebody might have done.

(I also inadvertently met Radaxian that ERT day too. She had amazing hair, but we never spoke)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
ciallkennett said:
When I went to the ERT event, Andy Hine came up to me with print outs from the CF forum and tried claiming some "little kid called ciallkennett" called him a "ponce in a jacket".
Andy still bings that up with me when I see him. I think it knocked his confidence a little. For the record, Andy is not a "ponce in a jacket", but he does, err, wear a jacket.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Tbh, it sounds like the kind of thing I'd say.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
ciallkennett said:
(I also inadvertently met Radaxian that ERT day too. She had amazing hair, but we never spoke)

You're not the only one who never spoke to me that day! I was there with RCCGB, and apart from Andy Hine who was friendly, I just got called a "weird goth" for having pink hair then ignored whenever I tried to make conversation with people from RCCGB. It put me off enthusiast groups for a while, I was making so much effort that day and not really getting anything back. But in hinesight, the RCCGB group was huge that day, I bet there were nice people in it but I just didn't get the chance to meet them.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
To be fair, looking at who else was there that day, RCCGB definitely was the best on offer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.