What's new

AVATAR Land for Animal Kingdom WDW

Ben

CF Legend
Are you seriously comparing Star Wars (six movies and immensely popular for more than three decades) and MCU (popular for decades, and the MCU was already proving to be a hit) to Avatar, which was one movie in 2009 which has been nearly entirely forgotten?

Those aren't the same sort of risk - if either the new Star Wars or MCU had failed there'd have still been enough of a back catalogue and good will to fall back on to make it work - if the new Avatar films fail, there's nothing to fall back on.

It's incredibly risky, and compared to what Universal are doing or even Star Wars Land, it sticks out as being a very odd choice. I honestly don't see how you can argue it's a smart investment?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I feel it was a knee jerk reaction to the success of Harry Potter without thinking carefully why Harry Potter did wonders for Universal. It was also made with the assumption that the huge box office numbers would translate into an iconic, well known, well loved franchise (possibly with large cult following) and so far that hasn't happened. I know there will be subsequent films that will keep the brand in the public eye temporarily but if it hasn't taken off after the first one, what's going to change?

The brand is fairly well known, but mostly for the stupid blue people but I don'think the word Na'vi would mean anything the GP. If someone said "Pandora" they'll think you're talking about a ****ing bracelet. The world from Avatar is very unique but incredibly difficult to recreate in a theme park setting. They've done a good job, but if people see a picture of what they've built I doubt anyone will go "oh look that's from Avatar". So it's not totally unknown, but does anyone care? Toy Story Land is a hole and unsuitable against Disney's other line ups, but at least the characters are so loved - great for meet & greets and merchandise. Who cares about the blue people? I can only name two Avatar words: Na'vi and Pandora, (not even any character names) and that's probably more than most people.

It does have it's positives. Making Animal Kingdom into a full day park - It should be godly at night! After several bouts of Toy Story land and Marvel, Disney are building something very unique and suitable for a theme park!! It should wow guests but unless it suddenly takes off that's it's only selling point and I hope it's enough.

Even a Lion King land on a smaller scale would be more effective with iconic places like Pride rock and the elephant graveyard + characters and songs that people love and care about still after 20+ years.

All-in-all I think this will be great and a breathe of fresh air but the success of this place will be down the how it looks and not the IP, which kind of renders the point of having the IP utterly useless.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think we can all agree that they are taking a big risk, no matter if they have misjudged the appeal of the movies or not.

And to think its success will hinge on something relatively external to the execution by the park designers. The movie universe is "there", but it does not have a following just yet. Its sequels will largely determine whether this is will be a flop or not. Both Harry Potter and Star Wars (and even Frozen, on a smaller scale) had succeeded as franchises before the theme park lands came. All the theme park areas had to do was to deliver on the appeal of the franchise. Avatar has the visuals, which probably can be copied brilliantly, but does it have the atmosphere? Or will the theme park have to create an atmosphere that hasn't been established (or executed well) in the movie, creating a bit of a de-sync between the park version and the IP it is based on?

I'll be following this closely, at least. It's an experiment we haven't seen the likes of before (or does the new King Kong attraction at IoA count?). No matter if it goes well or poorly, it'll be a story to tell newbie goons around the campfires in a few years.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I don't think it's comparable to King Kong really. Whether or not the new film is a hit or not, King Kong is massively iconic. Even if you've never seen any of the many films, you'll still be familiar with the character.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^ I don't think it's comparable to King Kong really. Whether or not the new film is a hit or not, King Kong is massively iconic. Even if you've never seen any of the many films, you'll still be familiar with the character.

Fair point.

The reason I put King Kong there, was because every film in the series seems to set up a new universe of creatures on Kong's island. Unless I'm grossly mistaken, the new King Kong attraction is based on the upcoming film rather than the previous one(s).

Then again, for revenue purposes, brand recognition has to count before people decide to visit the park, not while on the attraction. So the familiarity of King Kong as a character would pull people in, and it wouldn't really matter much if they are confused by the themeing on the ride - they've paid their tickets and committed to a day at the park already by that point. Avatar is almost in the opposite situation, come to think of it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd so happily never see Joe Rohde's ears ever again. </3

I think the area looks wonderful though. So cool.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
So is this is why it took so long to build
2600x-1-1200x786.jpg

2600x-1-1-1200x900.jpg

2000x-1-900x1200.jpg

1600x-1-900x1200.jpg

Ben

CF Legend
**** me sideways.

The rock work reminds me a tiny bit of Adventure Isle, not that that's an issue.

It's so pretty I just so wish the IP was better.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Well, there's always a chance that it will be, what with the next movies and all...

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I told y'all all along this would be an amazing fit for Animal Kingdom. It looks incredible.

I'm really intrigued about the Banshee ride, and how they'll make it convincing. We know that the Creature will breathe and move about underneath you, but does this mean that they've built an entire banshee for each set of riders? Wings and all? Or is it gunna be a "here jump on this half a creature and pretend" type affair?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Holy...

That is just stunning. Wow... I really don't know what else to say, it's so gorgeous!

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That first picture is enough to bring a tear to one's eye.