What's new

AVATAR Land for Animal Kingdom WDW

Ollie

CF Legend
We have great news to share today. At a press conference happening right now at Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs just announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks. And it’ll all begin at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

ava234098SMALL.gif

James and his producing partner Jon Landau and their team at Lightstorm Entertainment will serve as creative consultants on the project and will work side-by-side with our Walt Disney Imagineers as we dream up experiences that will take our guests deep into worlds of AVATAR like never before. There are also two sequels to the record setting first film in the works, which will offer more fascinating stories, characters and locations to explore in the AVATAR universe. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

The design phase on the Disney’s Animal Kingdom project has just begun so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

Got questions about the announcement? If so, Tom Staggs will be answering them in a special Q&A blog post later today. Just submit your name, city where you’re from and your question to questionsfortom@disney.com and then check the Disney Parks Blog later to see some of the answers.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ney-parks/

nadroJ

CF Legend
NO! No no no no no no no.

No.

I hope this falls through. Original ideas Disney how many times must we go through this! Urgh <//3 Please get back on track with Beastly Kingdom and bring us something awesome rather than just another crappy movie tie-in. Gross.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I would imagine something like this would be quite cool, but at Disney? At the Animal Kingdom? I haven't even been there, yet its clear something like this just would not fit in, at all.

Ben

CF Legend
nadroJ said:
NO! No no no no no no no.

No.

I hope this falls through. Original ideas Disney how many times must we go through this! Urgh <//3 Please get back on track with Beastly Kingdom and bring us something awesome rather than just another crappy movie tie-in. Gross.

This.

No-one wants you Avatar Land. Your film sucked, and your land would suck.

This would be the worst thing ever.

davidm

Strata Poster
Disney clearly jealous of the business Potter-land is doing down the road.

Really awful idea though... I'm sure that the technology will be good (Cameron is a geek after all) but what this has to do with Disney and Animals I don't really know.

Ugggg - horrible horrible horrible.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Sounds like a good idea to me.
They could have that sparkly magical tree thingy and stuff. :D

I just wish this sort of attention would be payed to Paris!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Well this is Disney reacting quickly and foolishly to Harry Potter. This is going to be a right waste of effort.

In the Studios they might have got away with it, but Animal Kingdom? This just sounds like an horrendous joke.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Main reason why I don't like this is it's a non-disney idea in a disney park. In a Disney park it should be just Disney, not Mostly Disney with a few tie-ins. None of Avatar has anything to do with aything in a Disney park.

marc

CF Legend
NO NO NO NO NO what the **** are they doing!

This film never had anything to do with Disney. How can you theme a land with animals none of them are real.

This the worst news in a very long time, worse than the Marvel thing.

Mind you they could just call it Pocahuntis as its the same bloody thing lol.

Erol send it to Paris to the Studio Park, it would fit there perfect as it will go with nothing just like everything else in that park :)

I do not think this has anything to do with Harry Potter btw, the Animal Kingdom does not do very well and they are just trying to get more people there. This type of land has no place in a Disney Park but if anywhere it should go to Hollywood Studios.

I am actually shocked by this, people really want Tron stuff etc and they go and do this! There is so much better stuff they could build in that park rather than what will be a land full of theming and maybe a show or a 4D film I mean what else can they do. Oh a dark ride, the park does not need this.

Yes you can probably tell I am not happy lol. Just checked the date its not 1st of April.

spicy

Giga Poster
Like a few people have said, in the studios park I could see this being quite a cool idea, but Animal Kingdom? Wha..? :|

Only happy if its replacing the abomination that Chester's & Hester's Dino-Rama land is.

Just hope that its done to such a high standard that it fits in well.

davidm

Strata Poster
Thekingin64 said:
Main reason why I don't like this is it's a non-disney idea in a disney park. In a Disney park it should be just Disney, not Mostly Disney with a few tie-ins.

Star Tours?
Muppets (well before Disney bought them)?
Indiana Jones Adventure/Stunt Show/Coaster?

Disney have form with this sort of thing.

Ben

CF Legend
^Aerosmith aren't exactly Disney property either!

It's not the fact it's a non-Disney property that bothers me at all... And I think the theme and ideas of Avatar do fit in quite well at AK...

It's more the fact Avatar was an awful, preachy, dull film that makes me not want this land <//3 But then I guess AK is pretty dull and preachy too, so it fits...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^ and ^^ Ok, maybe my facts aren't correct but you see my point don't you?

I just really can't see this working in a Disney park. In any other park done well, then it could suit but not Disney.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Its a great idea...but not for Disney it doesn't have any of the Disney magic too it :(
the beastly kingdom would be at least 100x better in the camp minnie mickey space
the only thing we can hope for is that some amazing thrill find comes out of this...i'm thinking a flight simulator on one of those bird things

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ew...

I would probably prefer much Pixar attractions than this... Not really impressed to be quite honest, especially as Avatar is such a **** film, regardless of how pretty the visuals are...

For a park that (for the most part) has some rather realistic areas and ideas behind the zoo portions, I have no idea... I second all the Potterland comments... Big name will get the people to come... Just why does it have to be Avatar? Least the other none-Disney IPs work in their respective parks and areas, as they could lose it and still work... But this?

Bleh...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ben said:
^Aerosmith aren't exactly Disney property either!

It's not the fact it's a non-Disney property that bothers me at all... And I think the theme and ideas of Avatar do fit in quite well at AK...

It's more the fact Avatar was an awful, preachy, dull film that makes me not want this land <//3 But then I guess AK is pretty dull and preachy too, so it fits...

Conservation Station! XD

Like I say in every Disney topic where they boast 'new' ideas which are actually just using pre-existing ideas, characters and storylines. I LOVE the original Disney stuff, their best work comes when they create a completely new concept for a ride, land, characters etc. I hate seeing things like this when it has been proved time and time again that Disney are more than capable of excelling at that kind of thing.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Loads of people saying the film is pants. It doesn't have a groundbreaking story..

But visually it's stunning! And that's why I believe this land has real potential. You're not going to be bothered about the film's story when you're in a theme park, you are, however, going to be bothered about how well you're immersed in an experience, and hopefully if they pull it off, it'll be a good one.