What's new

Are we ever going to see a family RMC?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry for making my second discussion thread of the day, but I just had another RMC-related thought. Could a family RMC potentially be something we see in the future?

Now, when I say family RMC, I don't mean like a little oval-shaped kiddie coaster or figure 8 spinner like some other manufacturers are coming out with. I mean a ride that has a slightly wider appeal than RMC's present offerings do and can accommodate a younger audience. Something in that nice step-up spot; a pink-knuckle ride, so to speak.

As for my opinion on this topic, I could certainly see family RMCs being a potential product in the future. Admittedly, I don't see them doing smaller family coasters (like your Zamperla Speedy Coasters and Vekoma Rollerskaters) any time soon. But I could definitely see RMC sell some more family-orientated products; I could see them building something along the lines of the family woodies that Gravity Group offers, but with the IBox track. RMC and Gravity Group have quite similar design ideas, so I could see it. I could even see IBox conversions of junior wooden coasters in the future.

But what do you guys think of my idea?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Hi guys. Sorry for making my second discussion thread of the day, but I just had another RMC-related thought. Could a family RMC potentially be something we see in the future?

Now, when I say family RMC, I don't mean like a little oval-shaped kiddie coaster or figure 8 spinner like some other manufacturers are coming out with. I mean a ride that has a slightly wider appeal than RMC's present offerings do and can accommodate a younger audience. Something in that nice step-up spot; a pink-knuckle ride, so to speak.

As for my opinion on this topic, I could certainly see family RMCs being a potential product in the future. Admittedly, I don't see them doing smaller family coasters (like your Zamperla Speedy Coasters and Vekoma Rollerskaters) any time soon. But I could definitely see RMC sell some more family-orientated products; I could see them building something along the lines of the family woodies that Gravity Group offers, but with the IBox track. RMC and Gravity Group have quite similar design ideas, so I could see it. I could even see IBox conversions of junior wooden coasters in the future.

But what do you guys think of my idea?
You could point to Gravity Group making great family coasters as an analogy, so why not RMC? However, RMC’s track innovation is what it allows in wild twists and especially inversions, and those just aren’t elements ever seen on a junior or family coaster. Inversions terrify most kids who haven’t done many coasters.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's actually the Raptors that I could see this being the most profitable for them. The tiny track, minimal support work, small trains, all lend themselves to a family coaster.

That said, I'd say that family coasters are possibly a pretty saturated market - if RMC can't do their crazy layouts, why would you bother when a Zierer would cost much less? That said, those Chinese parks bought the kiddie B&Ms, and I'd have used the same argument there, so... who knows?!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As @Hixee said, the market appears to be pretty saturated. RMC has got a nice segment of the coaster market - refurbishing outdated woodies - all to themselves, and they've quickly become the go-to company for making white-knuckle wooden coasters in general. They have also gone into steel coasters, time will tell how that turns out. Why spend money and company resources trying to get into the much more contested family coaster market? Granted, there are a lot more contracts to compete for with family coasters, but it doesn't appear to be worth it in RMC's case. They do well enough with the market they serve.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I reckon it'll probably happen one day. Much like the kiddie B&M's in China, there are still plenty of parks out there that believe in buying quality hardware, even for 'family' coasters. The Raptors in particular seem well suited to be being 'downgraded' in terms of intensity. That new Hagrid thing at Universal - imagine something like that but with Raptor track. Suh-weet!
Or a nice, long, flowing terrain coaster with no inversions. Think Lisebergbanan as an RMC Raptor. That word still pass as family, right?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I reckon it'll probably happen one day. Much like the kiddie B&M's in China, there are still plenty of parks out there that believe in buying quality hardware, even for 'family' coasters. The Raptors in particular seem well suited to be being 'downgraded' in terms of intensity. That new Hagrid thing at Universal - imagine something like that but with Raptor track. Suh-weet!

vum5p9.jpg

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Back onto the topic. I really doubt RMC would do a family coaster, as it would most likely end up as something like Wild Train (https://rcdb.com/2775.htm) - an unassumingly small coaster that would end up having INSANE airtime and crazy laterals. It wouldn't be so much for families then. ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I can't imagine there being that much profit margin in family coasters either. Or at least, custom family coaster design, versus a cookie cutter Vekoma Family SLC or Zamperla Family Coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
I can't imagine there being that much profit margin in family coasters either. Or at least, custom family coaster design, versus a cookie cutter Vekoma Family SLC or Zamperla Family Coaster.

This. I don't think RMC really NEEDS to break into that market? Other companies fill that void quite well and they are kind of top of the line right now. I think if they start to slip, you may see them go the way of Gravity Group but right now, why stop when you're leading the charge right?

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Generally agree, although that Transmart deal for 50+ Junior Coasters was arguably very sweet for Vekoma :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think if they start to slip, you may see them go the way of Gravity Group but right now, why stop when you're leading the charge right?
Probably why B&M built their kiddie creds, right? Nah mate - if someone in China gave RMC the money we'd see a kiddie cred there next week.

Snoo

The Legend
Probably why B&M built their kiddie creds, right? Nah mate - if someone in China gave RMC the money we'd see a kiddie cred there next week.

Ooo I never said it wasn't possible, because almost every company will do something for the right price.. moreso talking in general. Plus, I don't think someone will go "Let me get a mini Steel Vengeance" when they can just have a Steel Vengeance.. lol

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
It's actually the Raptors that I could see this being the most profitable for them. The tiny track, minimal support work, small trains, all lend themselves to a family coaster.
The issue here is they're single seaters. For a family coaster it should be necessary to seat two people along or in front of eachother. People (kids but also adults) who ride coasters for the first time prefer sitting with someone.

All that aside. Isn't SV a fmily coaster then? :p would ride it with my little niece for sure

Hutch

Strata Poster
The issue here is they're single seaters. For a family coaster it should be necessary to seat two people along or in front of eachother. People (kids but also adults) who ride coasters for the first time prefer sitting with someone.
Space Mountain?

Nevermind I agree with you there. I first rode Space Mountain when I was 5 or 6, very scared getting on and that fact that I had to ride alone made it a lot worse!