What's new

Antinos' Dev Topic [NL]

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Thanks, guys! Supports are done and theming is well underway. The steam hoist looks loads better being surrounded by supports. I'm going to post some comparison pictures when I release the ride so you guys can see what I mean. All that's left is to finish the theming, do a bit more terraforming, finish the cartexture, and add foliage!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The year is 1913. At the time, the present location is known as Red Jacket, the home of the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company. C&H is known as the largest mining company in the nation, hauling out millions upon millions of tons of copper out of Michigan's Keweenaw peninsula and employing thousands. With all good comes bad - the company suffers from numerous labor issues. The most notable labor issue to this ride is the introduction of the one man pneumatic drill, also known as the Widowmaker due to the fact that it was extremely dangerous to operate.

A labor strike is imminent. Climb aboard the Torch Lake locomotive, speed past The Dredge and through a mine shaft, blast out of the steam hoist and traverse numerous hills, lakes, and even caves as you soar through the trees of Michigan's Keweenaw peninsula before the mine is closed.

Height: 197 feet
Length: 4,036 feet
Speed: 74 mph
Inversions: 3

The Dredge:

293551_10150477367683154_1870171401_n.jpg

Quincy Steam Hoist:

319210_10150477351768154_318344492_n.jpg

Torch Lake:

396159_10151266223003154_587888243_n.jpg

Although the placement of these scene objects and the geography is inaccurate, the history behind the ride is true. The dredge was used to reclaim copper from the sediment on the lake bed. Eventually, it ran aground just south of Lake Linden, Michigan. The Quincy Steam Hoist stands atop the hill up to Calumet, Michigan. The hoist can be seen from miles around and visitors can tour the grounds and the mine. The Torch Lake locomotive was originally a switcher locomotive for C&H and when the company went under, the locomotive was put in storage. It was given to The Henry Ford as a gift and is currently operating on Greenfield Village's loop in Dearborn, Michigan. The Torch Lake is currently the oldest operating steam locomotive in North America.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9fx4phaaa10h031

Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8fNjK-agyg[/youtube]

Enjoy!

BBH

Giga Poster
Re: Antinos' Dev Topic [NL] - Widowmaker complete (last page

This is phenomenal, well done!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Brilliant!

Technical (8.5): I've always loved your control over hand building and this was no exception. Smooth, fast, perfectly paced and the support work theming was lovely. Clean lines, but gave the impression of the theme well. There were a couple of moments of red Gs but there weren't sustained for too long. I think they could have been fixed fairly easily though.

Adrenaline (9)
: Loved the layout. Fast, thrilling, never let up and constantly surprised you. Every turn left you wondering what was coming next. The immelmann in the building was a really nice touch. Might have been a little cliché, but I think some fog/mist on the entrance and exit here could have worked really well.

Originality (9): Reminded me of Storm Runner but much better. Nothing unique content and element wise, but the way it was brought together made this really stand out.

One of the best creations I've seen from you, Antinos, and you should have won the No Limits CF Award for sure! =D.

VooDoDe

Roller Poster

I can't get it to run in the editor or simulator, in fact I can't get any ride that is a .nlpack file to work. Do I have to do something different because it has 3ds in it?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Might sound stupid, but do you have track packager? And are you on a mac?

VooDoDe

Roller Poster

Uncle Arly said:
Might sound stupid, but do you have track packager? And are you on a mac?

No and no. But that's what I need? I'll go check it out.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Yep, Download Track Packager, and that will open the .nlpack files :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Thanks for the comments, guys! And thank you Ashley for the in depth review. The feedback is much appreciated.

As for my next ride, I have nothing in the works. I have a big idea, but I need to ultimately do more research and get it to work. I will also be focusing on the NL contests more.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

My next project was a smaller, quickie. Quite simply, I recreated a standard model Skyloop to coincide with the competition:

The height is pretty close to the real deal and the track length is three feet off. It's less than perfect in other areas. I was unable to use shuttle mode for multiple circuits as well as use the reverse lifthill brake like on the real model. The supports are as close I can get with the beams given in NL.

Here's the download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?423frxzfcnn7v67

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to3w3UFyrEk[/youtube]

Enjoy!

BBH

Giga Poster

I like it. For such a short ride (and a recreation, too) it was exceptionally smooth. Great job.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I quickly whipped up another GCI. I used the beginning of Spitfire so I named it Second Wind:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMR_UvyXI0[/youtube]

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
HAY LADIES!

NL2 is out, and I already have a ride to show! It's a Mack mega - more or less just me experimenting with as many new features as possible. I am SUPER pleased by the software. The NL team absolutely delivered and they deserve every penny earned by the simulator. I am not sure how many rides I'll end up making over the next four months as I have a winter semester full of classes and activities, but I'll be sure to play around and download quite a few rides. Anywho...

https://www.mediafire.com/?39gaepxqqgz1dpi

1496465_10152502820363154_762000442_o.jpg

Enjoy! Any questions or comments are appreciated. I'd be happy to answer any questions or provide assistance wherever possible.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
Looks great! I would have thought it was an Intamin track, but I guess Mack is similar, just as Arrow and Vekoma are at first glance. Speaking of Vekoma, it’s been a while, but do you remember, or maybe still have, my “Mined Over Matter” entry from Comp 4? The first bit of scenery on the ride is a set of storage tracks in the “basement” of the station, which I put there anticipating being able to have operating ones if that feature came with NL 2.0. Could you look at it again when you get a chance and see if it would be possible to have them in that position and configuration? On any coaster, I assume the transfer track to the storage area can either be between the station and the lift or between the final brake run and the station.

For my “Jefferson Airtime” coaster in the comp before that, I had several scenery props that I made in hopes of having them operational in a future version of NL. For instance, I made a Wonder Wheel using support elements. Could the “scripting” I’ve heard mentioned enable it to rotate? I'll probably let the Parachute Jump continue to be just scenery, since I understand the real one hasn't run in over 40 years! From another thread, I already know the splashdown pool could be made workable and the Coney Island Cyclone wooden structure could be a running coaster itself. BTW, that was actually from a recreation of the SFOG Georgia Cyclone! Having watched the construction in 1990 and ridden it the day it opened and many times since then, I was a little more familiar with that one! It’s a mirror of the Coney Island one, and about 10 feet higher, so I just mirrored that when I was making the comp coaster. Maybe that’s part of what kept me from winning – spending not only so much time on the scenery, but also trying to make two coasters at once! :--D

Again, from everything shown in the pics, super job on the Mack coaster, as well as all the other ones you've shown in the thread! I hope everything goes well with your courses!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Unfortunately, I lost all the competition files when my hard drive crashed three months ago. Fortunately, the zip files are all still up and can be located in each contest's thread. From what I can remember, you will be able to place your transfer shed where you want on MoM. You can also place transfer tables anywhere you'd like. If you script a ride, you can have them mid course to make your ride go backwards. Regarding Jefferson Airtime, you might have issues with supports being imported. I'm not certain how scripting works yet, so it might be as simple as writing a script and they start spinning or you might have to do a lot of other things to get what you want.

Thank you for the comments.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Love it.

I'm not in a position to make many tracks yet (and by that I mean get my head round the editor), that will be a job for the summer, so for the time being keeping playing around and giving me loads of fun things to play with in the sim.

I really do think the duel-loading stuff is my favourite new feature. :p