What's new

Antinos' 2018 Thread (2018 Wrap-up: Six Flags Over Georgia)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I reckon hitting the park with you three would be just about the only way I'd enjoy it. Even then, I'm not sure I could face a revisit. :p

Damn you sexy bitches.

Snoo

The Legend
I reckon hitting the park with you three would be just about the only way I'd enjoy it. Even then, I'm not sure I could face a revisit. :p

Damn you sexy bitches.

I mean, I rode a cock. What more could you want?

41399504_899255898611_2385207936054984704_n.jpg

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I was able to make a quick run to Cedar Point today as one last visit for the year and figured that I might as well note a few things.

Rougarou - although today was not a hot, summer day, Rou was running quite nicely with some good forces and speed.

Millennium Force - she's running much better now than she was back in May. Seriously, Millie ages like a fine wine.

Corkscrew - first ride of the year...and I'm good for another year too.

Magnum - excellent ride, as always. Plenty of ridiculous ejector air throughout.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride - sat in back, which I don't normally do. It was not as tame as it normally is! I also got to say hi to @Error, who is working the ride for the Fall season!

Gemini - Good race. My side won, obviously, and the ride was fairly smooth and enjoyable!

Raptor - Raptor has been running extremely well as of late. Each inversion is filled with positive G's, all the twists have that B&M snap, and the final helix really packs a punch!

Boo Streak - I actually had a surprisingly excellent ride from the old woodie! It was clipping along and filled with airtime!

Valravn - back row, outside seat. Ugh. It's amazing how this ride varies between rows. I'll stay out of the back from now on.

Gatekeeper - I had a shakier than usual ride. Still fun though!

Top Thrill Dragster - It took us three attempts to ride thoughout the day. It was down the first time we walked to the entrance, it went down as soon as we got in line the second time, and it broke down as we were entering the station on the third try. We waited it out while the mechanics walked the launch run, reset some things in the control booth, and opened the ride back up. Front row. Let's go baby!

We skipped Maverick and Steel Vengeance due to break downs as well as long lines. They're not going anywhere though - we'll ride them next year. As for the rest of the rides, I did notice that operations were significantly slower than they typically are. It's super disappointing to stand in stations of rides where you would be on and off in no time and now you're watching Corkscrew, Gatekeeper, or Magnum stack two trains. Cedar Point really needs to figure out its staffing pains because their resort marketing campaigns have been working. And speaking of the resort, I decided to take a detour along the extended boardwalk as I left the park and I was really drawn by the beach and the rest of the resort. I've been going to Cedar Point since my parents pushed me around the park in a stroller and this is the first time I was captivated by the beach and the rest of the resort. They cleaned the beach up, they redid the hotel, they spruced up the gardens, and they improved the vistas of the rides along the lake, like looking at Magnum and the water park from over by Windseeker. The whole package is just so inviting now, I actually want to make a weekend out of visiting the resort and spend most of Saturday at the pool or beach or some other part of the resort. And the extended boardwalk also enabled me to finally take some photos that I've been meaning to take since Gatekeeper opened:

42913327_10157751355128154_4508333845266825216_n.jpg

42866696_10157751355223154_8249047294029070336_o.jpg

42852334_10157751355298154_280258895375499264_o.jpg

Say what you want about Gatekeeper - it's ****ing beautiful.

Roadmap:
  • Kokomo's Family Fun Center (two weeks?)
  • Kings Island (October 26th)
  • Holiday World (October 27th)
  • Dollywood (mid-November, and probably with a couple other +1s in the area)

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The images aren't loading for me. Have you linked to a private bit of your Google Drive?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The images aren't loading for me. Have you linked to a private bit of your Google Drive?
Hmm...I pulled them from my Google photos client. I can't seem to find anything about photo privacy...cou co you see the photo I posted in the Witch's Wheel topic?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nope, can't see that one either. This is all I get (looks the same in this topic too):
qaDFbPe.png

Curiously the images in the previous posts seem to work, with the exception of a few:
VGfb467.png

The working images have FB URLs?

Snoo

The Legend
Nope, can't see that one either. This is all I get (looks the same in this topic too):
qaDFbPe.png

Curiously the images in the previous posts seem to work, with the exception of a few:
VGfb467.png

The working images have FB URLs?

Same for me. I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
And now they aren't working for me either...hmm. I'll edit the post and replace them with the FB URLs so at least they'll last for a few months. Who would have thought that image hosting would have been such a bitch in 2018?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Who would have thought that image hosting would have been such a bitch in 2018?
I mean, you could use a proper image hosting site, rather than FB or Google where external sharing isn't their purpose. But then, call me old fashioned. ;)

Good work. NEXT time I'm at CP, I need to get that Gatekeeper shot. :p

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I went up to Traverse City, MI this past weekend to visit my grandpa, as he just moved and could use some help with the unpacking process. I had two chances to stop at Kokomo's Family Fun Center in Saginaw, MI. Remember, this is the cred that spited me due to an ice storm back in April.

I called the place shortly after departing on Friday - they stated that they're testing the ride at the moment and might open it soon. They also mentioned that the ride would operate as long as the temperature stayed above 40 degrees and it wasn't windy. I decided to just stop by since it's five minutes off the freeway. I pull up and there's no sign of life. It was closed. Spittttttttteeeeeeee.

I enjoyed my weekend up north - nice and relaxing. The weather was nicer earlier today so I tried another attempt at getting this damn +1. It's 60 degrees and the sun is radiant...surely it's going to be open. I pull into the parking lot, which is much more crowded today...but the ride is closed again! This ****ing piece of **** third-hand SDC Zyklon spited me for the third ****ing time this ****ing year! Viiiiiiiillllllleeeeeeeeee <////////////////3

Alright, this is a bust this year...but I think I'm going to make it up by taking the scenic route to King's Island in two weeks and run through Camden Park. Might as well use a couple hours of PTO.

Roadmap:
  • Camden Park (October 26th)
  • Kings Island (October 26th)
  • Holiday World (October 27th)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Well, we had a bit of bad luck this past weekend. A large system of storms moved through the region late last week and rained us out of Camden and Kings Island. Kinda bummed - I was looking forward to a quick cred run, and this was ultimately the first year since 2012 that I didn't visit Kings Island. But to be completely honest, these parks were gratuitous. There's one reason for this yearly get together in October: Voyage at night.

Although we started our trip in the north end of Cincinnati at a family entertainment center. We played a round of mini golf and laser tag, but we whored the go-karts. It was quite a narrow track - it was tough to get three karts across on the straights, and even though bumping wasn't allowed, there was plenty of it. We got about five sessions in, including one that was COMPLETELY raucous, as it was just the five of us and they didn't limit our speed much, if at all.

Next morning, we grabbed some food at @pkiknex25's regular spot, Zips Cafe. It's an adorable little hole in the wall with some awesome burgers! We rendezvoused with Dan and we were off! One of our cars stopped in Louisville to pick up @Youngster Joey's friend while on the way.

44945933_10157826492948154_1037647764952973312_o.jpg

Raven
- I believe @Snoo mentioned in the brake run that it's a wonder that people thought this was the best coaster on the planet 20 years ago. Don't get us wrong - it's quite good...but it's certainly evident how far the industry has come. It's a well maintained ride with some good pops of air and a fast paced dash through the woods, but there's a much better ride just across the park.

44924723_10157826493223154_3518638952087027712_o.jpg

Legend - @Youngster Joey was sassing me about my opinion of the ride, so out of principle, I took a lap in the back. I, along with everybody else in our group, will tell you that Legend is the very best in the front row, but it wasn't bad at all in the back. There are only a couple valleys towards the beginning of the ride that have a slight shuffle - not bad enough to call the ride rough in my opinion. I'm just glad to see that the ride is holding up so well after its TLC from two winters ago.

Thunderbird
- Still blown away by how good of a wing coaster this is. It's more intense, faster paced, and flows better than the other three American wing coasters. It's actually a bit sad that such a good ride is overshadowed by Voyage, but it is nice to have the one-two punch in the park's lineup.

44916283_10157826493418154_7891769004992233472_o.jpg

44966223_10157826493668154_2165282537935470592_o.jpg

Crow's Nest
- I did want to take some time to ride some of the rides that we don't normally ride when we visit, but we only made it on Crow's Nest. For what it is (a very small star flyer), I think it's reasonably fun. The tower spins fairly quickly and it offers a bit of floater as the swings move up and down the structure.

Voyage - We grabbed two rides earlier in the day before grabbing a bite to eat and heading to the car to put on a few more layers. Much of the ride remains the same good old Voyage that it's been for so long, but the retracked return run dramatically improves the ride's comfort. And the trains were just completely SCREAMING through this section of the ride. It's amazing how well those PTCs were able to handle the turns at such a high speed. Fortunately, the park is putting more money into the ride because there's an obvious transition from new to old just before the cross over the bottom of the lift. During the last few turns, Voyage still beats you real good just to remind you that she's still a bad bitch, albeit for a fraction of the time that it used to be when the entire return run was filled with shuffling. But with all that being said...we didn't come here to ride in the daylight.

45015659_10157826494028154_4663568819636142080_o.jpg

Last weekend of operation. Sunset at 6:00pm. Moonrise at 8:30pm. It was dark, and the smoke from the fires in the campground was drifting over the ride. First drop...second hill, darker. Third hill, darker still...except for that damn light they added on the mid course brakes last year (and the lights from the Thunderbird area). Despite the light, the fifth drop into the spaghetti bowl was a descent into total darkness and chaos. Who knows where all of the turns and directional changes were: you are completely at the mercy of the ride. The reprieve in the mid course brakes is short lived, and the ride is rushing back through the darkness at a relentless pace. As the ride hits the brakes, you sit there in disbelief as you recall what you just subjected yourself to...and as soon as the train parks in the station, you run around for another ride.

44911891_10157826494213154_4381261778911232_n.jpg

Riding Voyage during the day is an opportunity to experience one of the best wooden coasters in the entire world, but Voyage at night is a drug addiction that we only get once per year. Voyage is much more reridable now as opposed to last year - we grabbed nine laps in the dark before the park closed and before we all called Uncle and realized that we had reached our limit. After nine laps, I felt like I did after only three in a row the year prior - Voyage is much more comfortable, but it will eventually kick your ass. But like I said...we're addicts and we'll be back for another hot date next October.

44929246_10157826494503154_3092922261858942976_o.jpg

Roadmap:
  • Six Flags Great America (weekend of 11/2 - picking up my season pass and grabbing a lap on Goliath and Joker)

Hutch

Strata Poster
You know I was never a big fan of Voyage, but I never realized they had been doing some retracking. That's reassuring to hear that it runs much better. I want to love it, but it just beat my ass last time. The park is definitely worth another visit at some point though.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
You know I was never a big fan of Voyage, but I never realized they had been doing some retracking. That's reassuring to hear that it runs much better. I want to love it, but it just beat my ass last time. The park is definitely worth another visit at some point though.
They tend to work on the ride every offseason, but this past winter's retracking was the most extensive in a while. Their efforts to take care of their wooden coasters really pays off.

God, I need that ride at night. One year I'll join you, one year. :p
Let me tell you something about going from six to midnight, and it starts with Hixee joining us for Voyage at Night.

Also.. for those who don't have me on FB:

45044519_907977924601_441517698816409600_n.jpg

GO KARTS!

Buncha skanks <3