What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I don't, I'm well aware that many disabilities are invisible. However, the purpose of the Ride Access Pass, as the name suggests, is for people with 'access' or mobility issues, which generally speaking are very visible indeed. If the RAP was intended to cover the whole spectrum of disabilities, then every kid with mild ADHD would be using it.

Deffo not having a go... but I'm entitled to a ride access pass because of a bladder disorder, you definitely can't see that I have a disorder. You may see if I piss myself in a 2 hour queue though... hahaha.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Deffo not having a go... but I'm entitled to a ride access pass because of a bladder disorder, you definitely can't see that I have a disorder. You may see if I piss myself in a 2 hour queue though... hahaha.

Ok, I can see why that qualifies.
Mate, that queue was bad enough not having a bladder disorder. Unless being an old fart can count as a bladder disorder? o_O All I know is, I should definitely not have bought that bottle of Coke from the queueline shop. Whadda mistaka dimaka!
But seriously, be thankful you weren't there over the weekend. Both the fast-track and the RAP queue were clocking in at around 2 hours, with the regular line at 3 hours plus. Makes me want to wee just thinking about it. :confused:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't give a :emoji_zipper_mouth: what you think, I've had some more ridesron it and my opinions still stand.
I'm just glad you've actually ridden a coaster now kid, so you can accurately describe it.
Oh wait... even when you've ridden it you can't accurately describe it? And are still talking utter rubbish?

giphy.gif

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I didn't blame the disabled for anything, I merely posed a hypothesis based on real life observations. If the system is going to be abused, then maybe parks should limit the number of carers per rider.
I thought I made it perfectly clear in my post that technical issues were to blame for the long waits.
No, it definitely read like the blame was down to poor operations including letting too many fake disabled people ride.

I don't, I'm well aware that many disabilities are invisible. However, the purpose of the Ride Access Pass, as the name suggests, is for people with 'access' or mobility issues, which generally speaking are very visible indeed. If the RAP was intended to cover the whole spectrum of disabilities, then every kid with mild ADHD would be using it.
If you look at the requirements AT have for people to get a RAP it's quite specific and not that easy for disabled people to get hold off. They're not giving these out to anybody who turns up with a cough and doctor's note. (Well, they shouldn't be)
'Spastic' - person who suffers from 'Spasticity', altered skeletal muscle performance often resulting in paralysis and/or increased tendon reflex activity. In other words, someone with access or mobility issues. Granted, the word has been kinda hijacked and is generally used as a derogatory term these days and in hindsight, perhaps I should have picked something else, so I'll give you that one @Robbie . If it offended you (or anybody else) then I apologise.
OK, but this really hasn't been acceptable language for decades and doesn't really reflect the majority of disabled people. It's a phrase that comes from ignorance and tends to suggest they are not proper members of society. It's like the disabled equivalent of a racial slur and very offensive.
But I'm standing by the rest of my post.
Fair enough and I'm sorry for coming on a bit strong. I've no doubt there will be some people taking the piss but they're the minority and when you see the struggles and difficulties disabled people go through just to live a normal life it's galling to see them written about so derogatorily.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Ok, I can see why that qualifies.
Mate, that queue was bad enough not having a bladder disorder. Unless being an old fart can count as a bladder disorder? o_O All I know is, I should definitely not have bought that bottle of Coke from the queueline shop. Whadda mistaka dimaka!
But seriously, be thankful you weren't there over the weekend. Both the fast-track and the RAP queue were clocking in at around 2 hours, with the regular line at 3 hours plus. Makes me want to wee just thinking about it. :confused:

Oh yeah, sod that. Sometimes the RAP queue ends up mega long but you’ve just gotta suck it up (and not drink too much beforehand in my case ha). I get that I’m lucky to have access to a RAP. Some of the European parks don’t ‘get it’. In Germany I’m not entitled to one as I’m not technically disabled. Fortunately they’re so damn efficient it’s no problem!

Speaking as a person who uses a RAP, generally speaking people don’t take the piss. I only ever attend a park with one or two people and use the pass. I’ve not known AT auto allow more than three people to act as ‘carers’ with a RAP anyway.

vaugc002

Hyper Poster
I don't give a :emoji_zipper_mouth: what you think, I've had some more rides on it and my opinions still stand.

Stop getting triggered all the time jeeeez. Sure your opinion stands, but others can have opinions too yes?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I mean I don't give a **** about people's opinions about me loving the ride to death, I have no issues on listening to other people's opinions.

Anyway, while I'm here I may as well write my review:-

So starting off, I have to say this ride blew me away. I had set my expectations pretty low, since a lot of people were saying it wasnt' great. But riding it for the first time (on the front), I thought it was pretty damn incredible. In all, I had 4 rides on it; two in the front, one in row 9 and one in row 11. And damn, it seriously hauls ass on the back, especially going over the first couple of drops! All in all, it has managed to make my number 3 coaster, after Shambhala and The Swarm. I'll go on now to talk about the main ride itself in more detail.

So the first thing you see when you come up to the ride is the huge Wicker Statue, towering above the ride. It looks awesome, especially with the fire. In fact, the whole ride looks awesome, and much larger than I expected, after seeing photos and videos.

The queue line is nicely themed, lots of wicker statues and bunting which made the ride look fantastic. During the queue, you get some fantastic views of the ride, and also the lift hill mechanics. I'd just like to mention that although the ride was running 3 trains, the queue seems to move quite slow, especially since its reliability is pretty sure at the moment (however it only broke down twice today believe). The overall operations today we're pretty good, with full trains being dispatched before the other train hits the brakes. This when you enter the fork, where the fast pass, disabled entrance and main queue join, outside the baggage hold. This is the point where you go inside. Passing the baggage hold, you are all piled together at the end of the room, until the doors open, where you then enter the pre-show. No spoilers, but I thought it was great! However, it was pretty dark and scary, not very appropriate for younger children IMO. I like the theme, but I think the pre-show kind of draws the line. (By the way the station and pre-show smell like rotten sweetcorn).

The station is what awaits you next. After being directed to an air gate, the man with the Scottish voice will say "Visitors, we are now opening the pens. Take heed." At which point the airgates open, and you enter the awesome, comfy, seatbeltless Millennium flyers. I must mention the lighting and audio in the station is great, and plays as the train is dispatched. I should also mention 3 trains on this ride isn't really necessary, as your train will stack just before the station and also on the transfer.

Leaving the station, you turn to the right, and enter the a room filled with red lighting and mist, which then follows a high-lateral left turn, out of the building and up into the lift (which is done at surprising speed!) After the lift hill, you go through the first pair of drops and twists, which send you far out of your seat on the back row (if you aren't stapled by the ride ops). The interactions with the Wicker Man structure are really good, but you don't really notice the fire effects while you are on the ride.

Following more airtime moments, twists and turns, you then enter the "boring corner" which I actually didn't mind. Following more twists and turns, you slow down nicely into the brakes. The transfer track is very underwhelming, and definitely could be improved on, as not much happens except for a few blasts of mist and orange lights right at the end of the tunnel, before you return to the station. The Scottish guy then says something along the lines of "Thank you for taking part in this ritual. Please exit to your left, there is no escape to the right." You then head up some stairs, over the tunnel, down some stairs, and that is where you collect your bags, and head to the view photo area, which leads directly onto the shop, filled with quite a lot of Merch! Sanbrooke will be pleased.

All in all, Wicker Man is a great addition to Alton IMO, and is also very popular with the GP. I personally think it's worth the visit, but I know some of you will disagree. Anyway, I'll be riding Wodan on Saturday, so we'll see how that compares.

Matt N

CF Legend
I mean I don't give a :emoji_zipper_mouth: about people's opinions about me loving the ride to death, I have no issues on listening to other people's opinions.

Anyway, while I'm here I may as well write my review:-

So starting off, I have to say this ride blew me away. I had set my expectations pretty low, since a lot of people were saying it wasnt' great. But riding it for the first time (on the front), I thought it was pretty damn incredible. In all, I had 4 rides on it; two in the front, one in row 9 and one in row 11. And damn, it seriously hauls ass on the back, especially going over the first couple of drops! All in all, it has managed to make my number 3 coaster, after Shambhala and The Swarm. I'll go on now to talk about the main ride itself in more detail.

So the first thing you see when you come up to the ride is the huge Wicker Statue, towering above the ride. It looks awesome, especially with the fire. In fact, the whole ride looks awesome, and much larger than I expected, after seeing photos and videos.

The queue line is nicely themed, lots of wicker statues and bunting which made the ride look fantastic. During the queue, you get some fantastic views of the ride, and also the lift hill mechanics. I'd just like to mention that although the ride was running 3 trains, the queue seems to move quite slow, especially since its reliability is pretty sure at the moment (however it only broke down twice today believe). The overall operations today we're pretty good, with full trains being dispatched before the other train hits the brakes. This when you enter the fork, where the fast pass, disabled entrance and main queue join, outside the baggage hold. This is the point where you go inside. Passing the baggage hold, you are all piled together at the end of the room, until the doors open, where you then enter the pre-show. No spoilers, but I thought it was great! However, it was pretty dark and scary, not very appropriate for younger children IMO. I like the theme, but I think the pre-show kind of draws the line. (By the way the station and pre-show smell like rotten sweetcorn).

The station is what awaits you next. After being directed to an air gate, the man with the Scottish voice will say "Visitors, we are now opening the pens. Take heed." At which point the airgates open, and you enter the awesome, comfy, seatbeltless Millennium flyers. I must mention the lighting and audio in the station is great, and plays as the train is dispatched. I should also mention 3 trains on this ride isn't really necessary, as your train will stack just before the station and also on the transfer.

Leaving the station, you turn to the right, and enter the a room filled with red lighting and mist, which then follows a high-lateral left turn, out of the building and up into the lift (which is done at surprising speed!) After the lift hill, you go through the first pair of drops and twists, which send you far out of your seat on the back row (if you aren't stapled by the ride ops). The interactions with the Wicker Man structure are really good, but you don't really notice the fire effects while you are on the ride.

Following more airtime moments, twists and turns, you then enter the "boring corner" which I actually didn't mind. Following more twists and turns, you slow down nicely into the brakes. The transfer track is very underwhelming, and definitely could be improved on, as not much happens except for a few blasts of mist and orange lights right at the end of the tunnel, before you return to the station. The Scottish guy then says something along the lines of "Thank you for taking part in this ritual. Please exit to your left, there is no escape to the right." You then head up some stairs, over the tunnel, down some stairs, and that is where you collect your bags, and head to the view photo area, which leads directly onto the shop, filled with quite a lot of Merch! Sanbrooke will be pleased.

All in all, Wicker Man is a great addition to Alton IMO, and is also very popular with the GP. I personally think it's worth the visit, but I know some of you will disagree. Anyway, I'll be riding Wodan on Saturday, so we'll see how that compares.
Great review ATI! Sounds like you had a good experience! I completely agree with you that the boring corner isn't actually that boring! For me, I don't rate Wicker Man quite as highly as you do, but it is still a fantastic wooden roller coaster (my favourite wooden roller coaster, in fact!), and you are perfectly within your right to rank it as your #3! One thing I will say, though, is that I personally only really felt two proper moments of airtime on the ride, and they were both just after the not-so-boring corner. Megafobia probably has superior airtime to Wicker Man, for me. However, Megafobia's flat turns aren't great and feel almost like those of a Wild Mouse coaster, and Megafobia was also rougher than Wicker Man. Because of this, I do think I enjoyed Wicker Man just a little bit more than Megafobia.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It has some OK floater on some of the other hills, but did you ride towards the back? The back has more airtime than Shambhala (almost).

What's funny, is the 3rd time I rode it, the ride broke down and I was stuck on the block just before the station, and my mum kept trying to ring me while everyone was sat in silence turning round and staring at me as my phone rang.

Matt N

CF Legend
It has some OK floater on some of the other hills, but did you ride towards the back? The back has more airtime than Shambhala (almost).

What's funny, is the 3rd time I rode it, the ride broke down and I was stuck on the block just before the station, and my mum kept trying to ring me while everyone was sat in silence turning round and staring at me as my phone rang.
I rode in row 10.

Funny that, as I was stuck for about 20 minutes just before going back into the station too!

Pear

Strata Poster

Ah so it's only just floater then.

Go ride something with actual ejector airtime and this ride will fall far in your rankings.

davidm

Strata Poster
Ha ha ; ATI getting grief for expressing an opinion on a coaster that he has actually ridden is a little unfair I think? By all means rail on him when he spouts the usual rubbish about things that he has never ridden but come on lets encourage some good behaviour!

(Just my 2pth)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm very confused by this. All the reviews I've read state that the first part before boring corner does have some airtime, but the rest doesn't. So how does your comment about Shambhala work then? Shambz is huge, and one of the biggest airtime machines in Europe. Wickerman is one of the smallest GCIs and only half of that has airtime. I think you're wrong to even slightly compare them.

I'm glad you enjoy the ride, it probably is one of the best coasters you have ridden. It looks decent and the theming is above average, exactly what I expected then, but it's highly unlikely to touch my top 30.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, the entire post didn't make sense, at all. THE BACK HAS MORE AIRTIME THAN SHAMBHALA (nearly). Nearly means it doesn't.

Also, from every single other person that's been on both Shambhala and Wicker Man that I've spoke to - it doesn't have airtime anywhere near Shambhala, so.....

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I know it means it doesn't That's the point.

It does have some good ejector towards the back, and some good floater towards the front. I haven't really ridden in the middle, but I'd think you'd get some good floater on the hill just after the "boring corner".

The ride ops like to staple everyone, so I'd try and sit slightly forward, or try and push your stomach out when they squeeze down, to try and give you some wiggle for proper airtime.