What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

TLARides

Hyper Poster
@TLARides, I think the image you posted was discussed several pages ago. As much as we can dream that it'll be a RMC, it won't be.
I should look through the comments more often then. The supports seemed to scream "360 roll" but maybe not. Could be a 90-degree bank too for all I know.

spicy

Giga Poster
New plan:
SW-8-Drainage-1.png

Taken from Towerstimes: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2016/11/30/additional-sw8-details-confirmed/

Definately looks like you enter a pre-show building as you turn right out of the station.

Wrexham_forever

Roller Poster

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ohh mud, slightly excited now!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ohh mud, slightly excited now!

That old Over-Enthusiast-Ic comic (you probably know which one I'm thinking of) would be perfect to post in a situation such as this. Are we sure that putting them back up really would ruin Tim's career?

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I don't really see how it can be though, considering you've got Katanga Canyon directly between the coaster and Gloomy Wood. Unless Gloomy Wood will be rethemed and integrated into Katanga Canyon? It only has one minor ride, so it seems like a logical possibility.

davidm

Strata Poster
There is a pathway (not normally open) that bypasses the canyon, so if they sited the SW8 entrance off that then it would connect up sort of near Duel.

Swat

Mega Poster
Does anyone have the map that shows the planning permission areas, it shows the general development areas not requiring the layout to be shown? (I swear I have seen it).

It will be interesting to see if the whole area from the fluke site to behind the old ripsaw site is covered.

Could this layout be either part or ride/a ruse as this area is not covered by the general development area? Whereas there are more parts of this layout that extend up behind the gloomy woods and forbidden valley.

Similar situation to the smiler and previous rides, could this layout be prone to a deviation/not be the actual layout?

zazobo

Hyper Poster
The 2017 Alton Towers map has confirmed that SW8 will be part of Gloomy Wood!!!!

What does every one think of this?
Do you think it could hint the theming of the ride?
Anyone think anything will change to Mutiny Bay?

Love that it's going to be part of gloomy wood, such an under utilised area.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Does anyone have the map that shows the planning permission areas, it shows the general development areas not requiring the layout to be shown? (I swear I have seen it).

It will be interesting to see if the whole area from the fluke site to behind the old ripsaw site is covered.

Could this layout be either part or ride/a ruse as this area is not covered by the general development area? Whereas there are more parts of this layout that extend up behind the gloomy woods and forbidden valley.

Similar situation to the smiler and previous rides, could this layout be prone to a deviation/not be the actual layout?

The Smiler's layout wasn't changed to cover anymore space though - from a view looking down, the original plans and the actual thing look exactly the same. Plus the planning document said that the Flume site was to be returned to woodland, so I'm fairly sure that won't happen.

Mitchell

Roller Poster
Just a thought but if SW8 is part of Gloomy Wood does that mean the entrance won't be where the plans show they are? The plan shows the entrance and exit connected to Mutiny Bay and even though the entrance looks rather close to Haunted Hallow it still just feels rather out of place to be associated with Gloomy Wood.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ This IS Merlin we're talking about though. The fact that the ride comes close to "Haunted Hollow" is probably close enough for their basic design team.

"Yeah that'll do, good job let's go home."

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Tincy wincy bit excited now! I've just realised how great this is going to look in the terrain if they keep most of the trees.