What's new

Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to "CBeebies Land"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's a lot of work going on at the farmyard area of Alton, including removing the ugly circus tent which has sat rotting for the best part of a decade.

The plans are here for people to look at:
http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... &module=P3

Looks like it's mostly additional toilets and shops/restaurants and making it more a "proper farm", like, you know, it was before they heartlessly slaughtered all their animals in the name of profit ;)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Alton Towers 2014 - New McDonald's Farm

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... &module=P3

Redevelopment of the area with an as yet unknown IP... No new rides, however a new stage show will be added with the removal of the Tent and Dung Heap rubbish...

Until the IP is known, not much to go on... Lack of an actual new ride I doubt will affect it too much if the draw is good enough...

EDIT - ONE **** MINUTE :lol:

Darren B

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme

Jason Voorhees said:
Ok. I guess this really isn't big news?

Ok so it's not world grabbing news but it's always nice to see the park keeping their smaller area's (ride wise) looking fresh. I find it vital that in between the years of large investments on coasters and rides etc that parks use their smaller budgets on keeping the park visually impressive.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

insanecoastervids said:
Why is this in park construction

Because it's construction... In a park ;)

Park construction covers kind of vague things too, where there's a massive area re-theme for instance - like this - but probably no rides of note.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Penny for your thoughts Furie...

It states a re-theme so will it be tarting up the existing theme or a complete re-theme around Ben&Holly for example? If so, any murmurings of what and how will they re-theme the tractor ride?

Interested as it will actually affect me :) Thing 1 really enjoyed himself in that area yesterday.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Tough one. A few years back, they were allegedly using the area to create a Shrek themed thing (I think it was a 4D cinema and area tarting up). However, Dreamworks refused to issue a licence.

So the whole thing may be pie in the sky anyway :lol:

I guess maybe if they've done enough with the Ice Age licence, it'll be seen differently?

However, knowing Merlin, it'll just be a tart up with some linked in theme rather than a fully integrated theme.

So if it is Ben&Holly for instance, they'll just have a few models of characters from the show around the tractor ride badly animated waving or something. Lots of big flat signs saying "Ben&Holly's Alton Kingdom" or something with the exact same stuff underneath.

Which is probably why Dreamworks refuses the licence, they'll only give it if it does the IP justice.

After Peppa Pig world though, I'd say that Alton will really have to pull out the stops or they'll only have a pants licence coming in. The area isn't great though for a re-theme. It'll never be Thomasland, Peppa Pig World or the new Vikki land. Maybe Cartoon Network land at Drayton at a push :lol:

When MMF was little, he loved that area. We still try to go back there at least once a year too for a chill and to see the cute animals and stuff. It's a much forgotten area, so it needs some love and attention and Alton needs to really utilise it to show "we do have something to make it a good value day out for families too".

I'm hoping for a real effort, but expecting bugger all :lol:

DelPiero

Strata Poster

I'll be honest, as a coaster fan I had never been in the area until yesterday, had no idea at all what was there. I knew there was a kids area, but thats all.
Families with younger children are probably aware of it, especially those who are not coaster junkies, but it needs promoting much more than it currently is.

Depends what happens with it, as if done correctly I might make it a monthly trip rather than just twice a season. For the boy of course.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I first discovered it years ago when Minor_Furie was about 5. I wanted to go to Alton as it's a "special place" to take a young kid, but wasn't sure how kid friendly it actually was.

I was still doing my once or twice a year trips there though and didn't mind missing out on a "grown up trip" to find stuff for MF to do.

I was surprised how full and decent a day we had. We spent ages in the farmyard (ages and ages in Berry Bish Bash) and on Squirrel Nutty. Beastie was still there, the area which is now Cloud Cuckoo Land had loads of things, the stupid Toyland Tours was fun (for mostly the wrong reasons) and then staples like the Rapids, teacups, etc. This was well before the DIC splurge in the 00's on family stuff too.

So when we got annual passes, it because a no brainer to spend a lot of time at these places. So what if on this visit you miss Nemesis, but get to see bunnies and the delight of a knee-biter instead. Next time you can ride the rides.

What we found though was that we were in a minority (and we've found it at Drayton too). The general attitude is "we've paid over £100 to come in, travelled 200 miles and we're going on the big rides. We haven't done all of that so you can little brats can play on some swings - we could have stayed at home and gone to the park for that!". I think it's a fair point to a degree too. It's a once a year event and the majority of the "value" is in the adult rides.

So you end up with areas like the farmyard empty on the busiest of days, and the entrances to the larger rides surrounded by sulking kids having a miserable time waiting hours for their parents to go on the big stuff.

Or, in the kid's areas, sulking mums shouting at their kids because they've come to Alton Towers and got lumbered with the brats while the men-folk run off and enjoy themselves :lol:

I'm not sure if there's a point to all of this though. As Cloud Cuckoo Land has shown, a re-theme and IP CAN improve popularity (and you have the mushroom as a visual gateway that attracts attention) of a much ignored area.

However, the area is still nowhere near as popular as the areas of the park with "adult" rides. The problem is the size of Alton and the way it has almost distinct "here there be brats" and "here there be thrills" areas. So if I want to go on Nemesis, there's nothing for an under 5 to do within a 15 minute walk of it. Likewise, the farmyard is a ten minute meander from the nearest thrill So you either split up and have half the party miserable or stay together and have half the party miserable.

I honestly don't see a re-theme of the tired old area really changing that, but it may be that a few extra people get a little more out of it.

For those of us with young kids and a love of theme parks wanting to indoctrinate them? It's great :)

Robbie

Hyper Poster

furie said:
Which is probably why Dreamworks refuses the licence, they'll only give it if it does the IP justice
Wow. They must have changed since I worked on licenced products with them, as they let me churn out any old **** as long as they got the money!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's a CBeebies land.

http://www.altontowers.com
cbl-carousel01.jpg

Alton Towers Resort to launch world’s first ever CBeebies Land as Merlin and BBC Worldwide link up

Alton Towers Resort is to launch the world’s first ever CBeebies Land, bringing some of the most-loved children’s characters to Britain’s number one theme park. Opening in May 2014, the Land will be home to a unique range of themed rides, attractions and live entertainment and will be a completely immersive and interactive world for children and young families.

The planned 5 acre site within Alton Towers Resort will offer plenty of opportunities for little ones to interact with some of their favourite characters and TV shows. CBeebies Land will include rides, immersive play areas, live experiences, character appearances and will be a safe and fun environment for pre-schoolers to play and learn. CBeebies Land will create experiences that inspire children with bright ideas, provide hands-on learning experiences, encourage pre-schoolers to explore and understand more about themselves and put a smile on the face of everyone who visits.

The area will be updated frequently with new content, while a seasonal programme of events will run alongside the main attractions ensuring that no two visits to CBeebies Land will be the same.

Marcus Arthur, Managing Director UK at BBC Worldwide says, “CBeebies Land will be a fun and exciting way for children and adults to immerse themselves in and explore the CBeebies environment and to enjoy their favourite characters. BBC Worldwide is delighted to be working with Merlin, and this very special development at one of Britain’s best loved theme park resorts is a great beginning.”

Katherine Duckworth, Alton Towers Resort, adds, “Alton Towers Resort is all about providing memorable experiences for our guests. CBeebies Land will be aimed primarily at families with pre-school children and is designed to spark their imaginations, and to get them and their families playing together and really involved with the characters - so is a perfect fit for us. Providing new adventures is at the heart of Alton Towers Resort and we are hugely excited to be the first to work with the BBC as part of this exciting new partnership. I have no doubt that CBeebies Land will add a different and original element to the already fantastic offering we have for young families, making Alton Towers Resort the ideal destination for day trips and short breaks.”

CBeebies Land opens at the Alton Towers Resort in May 2014. Visit www.altontowers.com for more information.

TV themed areas for kids are been hugely successful in the past - Thomas, Peppa - so I have no doubt this will be the same, especially with the brand power of the BBC and Alton Towers.

(I've moved this to News & Rumours from Park Construction for a few days so multiple topics aren't set up.)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Most of me goes "Urrrrghhh", but the English middle class parent in me goes "jolly good"...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bit more info on the Guardian website.

The BBC has struck a landmark deal with theme park Alton Towers to create a CBeebies Land, giving fans of the pre-school channel the chance to go on branded rides and meet their favourite characters such as Igglepiggle, Upsy Daisy and Postman Pat.

BBC Worldwide has struck a deal with Merlin Entertainments, owner of attractions including Madame Tussauds and Legoland, to launch an area of the Alton Towers theme park dedicated to CBeebies in spring next year.

The BBC says that the new five-acre branded area will "bring to life some of the most-loved characters" from the hugely popular children's channel.

The corporation would not confirm which TV characters will be part of the new themed area – the BBC does not have all the rights to the characters that appear on the show and are in negotiations with third parties – but it is expected that favourites such as In the Night Garden characters, including Igglepiggle and Upsy Daisy, and Postman Pat will be part of it.

"CBeebies Land will be a fun and exciting way for children and adults to immerse themselves in and explore the CBeebies environment and to enjoy their favourite characters," said Marcus Arthur, managing director UK at BBC Worldwide.

The new area will include "rides, immersive play areas, live experiences, character appearances and will be a safe and fun environment for pre-schoolers to play and learn".

"CBeebies has long been the number one TV channel for pre-school children and their families, but we also know that these days they want to be able to have days out and happy memories with their favourite characters in the real world as well," said Joe Godwin, director BBC Children's.

In acknowledgement of the licence fee paying roots of the CBeebies channel, the development includes a public service remit that will "create experiences that inspire children with bright ideas, provide hands-on learning experiences and encourage pre-schoolers to explore and understand more about themselves".

The new area will be "updated frequently with new content" and there will be a seasonal programme of events that will run alongside the main CBeebies attractions.

"The Alton Towers project is very exciting, most importantly it is the first project in what we hope will be a very important long-term relationship with BBC Worldwide," said Mark Fisher, chief development officer at Merlin Entertainment.

The commercial details of the deal were not disclosed, such as whether the BBC gets some sort of cut from visitor tickets prices to the park from next spring, however children under four, a key viewing demographic, already get free access to Alton Towers.

In August the BBC took CBeebies into the digital age, launching a free iOS and Android app, with mini-games based on four of its most popular shows.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/o ... ton-towers

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Here's the official PR from Alton Towers.

Alton Towers Resort to launch world’s first ever CBeebies Land as Merlin and BBC Worldwide link up

Alton Towers Resort is to launch the world’s first ever CBeebies Land, bringing some of the most-loved children’s characters to Britain’s number one theme park. Opening in May 2014, the Land will be home to a unique range of themed rides, attractions and live entertainment and will be a completely immersive and interactive world for children and young families.

The planned 5 acre site within Alton Towers Resort will offer plenty of opportunities for little ones to interact with some of their favourite characters and TV shows. CBeebies Land will include rides, immersive play areas, live experiences, character appearances and will be a safe and fun environment for pre-schoolers to play and learn. CBeebies Land will create experiences that inspire children with bright ideas, provide hands-on learning experiences, encourage pre-schoolers to explore and understand more about themselves and put a smile on the face of everyone who visits.

The area will be updated frequently with new content, while a seasonal programme of events will run alongside the main attractions ensuring that no two visits to CBeebies Land will be the same.

Marcus Arthur, Managing Director UK at BBC Worldwide says, “CBeebies Land will be a fun and exciting way for children and adults to immerse themselves in and explore the CBeebies environment and to enjoy their favourite characters. BBC Worldwide is delighted to be working with Merlin, and this very special development at one of Britain’s best loved theme park resorts is a great beginning.”

Katherine Duckworth, Alton Towers Resort, adds, “Alton Towers Resort is all about providing memorable experiences for our guests. CBeebies Land will be aimed primarily at families with pre-school children and is designed to spark their imaginations, and to get them and their families playing together and really involved with the characters - so is a perfect fit for us. Providing new adventures is at the heart of Alton Towers Resort and we are hugely excited to be the first to work with the BBC as part of this exciting new partnership. I have no doubt that CBeebies Land will add a different and original element to the already fantastic offering we have for young families, making Alton Towers Resort the ideal destination for day trips and short breaks.”

CBeebies Land opens at the Alton Towers Resort in May 2014. Visit www.altontowers.com for more information.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Sounds interesting! Probably will never end up heading into the area, seeing as X-Sector seems to be my home away from home, but hopefully it will turn out great! Anyone else hoping that this will lead to Adventure land being replaced with a Dr Who area?

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | Farmyard Retheme to "CBeebies Land"

From a business POV it makes great sense but I hate the lack of creativity and originality. And I like the farm :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Only really posting in here so I can link Slayed to it because he's arguing with me on Twitter and he's wrong. ;P

So here's the "Joey's initial reaction to the news" post you've all not been waiting for.

I don't like the use of IPs, generally. I certainly don't like when they are irrelevant and ill-fitting. Alton Towers is a very unique attraction with a very specific atmosphere and it should thus have a very specific brand image that matches that. CBeeBies could not be further from the vibe Alton Towers naturally reeks.

The fundamental problem with IPs in general is they are "cheap" - not literally, of course. Merlin will have spent half the bloody budget of this retheme on the CBeeBies brand itself. But cheap as in the content is all already there and it's about forcefully wedging it into your existing selection of cheap off the shelf stuff you've already rethemed fairly recently.

IPs don't really age well. Whilst CBeeBies itself has longevity as a name- it's branding and content do not. They change, like, annually.

The sad thing is, IPs get people excited. They are great marketing. People get what the attraction is about when there's a brand attached. For that reason, I get why Alton are doing this. Especially given the company obsession with marketability vs quality experience. (Both would be nice please?)

I've been arguing with Slayed about the targeting of attractions to young audiences...

It's easiest to explain this with examples, so let's use a really good one, Chessington's Madagascar "show"... thing.

It's awful, if you're older than about 5. It's great if you're under 5 because there's costume characters, catchy tunes and bright colours and giant party poppers that spew string you can carry around the park for the rest of the day. Very young children are easily amused. There is no need for there to be any content to that show in order to entertain it's target.

Quality TV programming, theme park attractions, books, etc. have something about them that entertains parents and other older peers who may have to endure them.

This is what people rave on about Bubbleworks in particular regarding. As I grew up, I never tired of it. There was always something entertaining about it. It was clever and unique story telling. When they rethemed it, what they LITERALLY did, was remove each and every aspect of it that made it entertaining to anyone older than 5.

It is a colossal waste of money to aim attractions so specifically at audiences so young, when those same audiences can easily be entertained as a by product to successful design.

Does that mean IPs can never be quality? No, but you know full well this wont be, because half the budget is going on a flipping IP. And years down the line, it'll be irrelevant. And not a much loved, unique, special thing.

NORMAL everyday theme park guests STILL call Bubbleworks "Professor Burp" on occasion. It's worth a park's time to make their own brands.