What's new

Adventureland | Phoenix | Maurer Spinner

Pear

Strata Poster
Adventureland park in Altoona, Iowa have announced today that they are getting a Maurer spinning coaster that will open in June 2019.

A spinning coaster called "The Phoenix" will open in June, featuring a four-seat car that spins 360 degrees as it goes up and down hills. Construction will start in late February.

"It's a whole new degree of craziness," said Molly Vincent, spokesperson for Adventureland.

The $6 million roller coaster will replace the Inverter, a ride that was discontinued in 2017 off the main boulevard. The Super Screamer was there until 1999.

Maurer Rides, a company from Germany, is manufacturing the roller coaster, which will reach speeds of 40 mph and over 50 feet in height, Vincent said.

The Phoenix is the first spinning roller coaster at Adventureland and is a "family roller coaster," Vincent said.

In comparison, Adventureland's last roller coaster, "The Monster," reaches heights of 133 feet.

"It's more twisty and diving," Vincent said.

The park will open for the weekends in April 2019.

93baa369-56b8-4279-94f4-7189ef97b8cd-Phoenix_Logo_Final_4.jpg

https://eu.desmoinesregister.com/st...urs-opening-altoona-des-moines-ia/2276263002/

Last edited:

KommissarLT

Roller Poster
Is it possible that this could be Xtreme from Blue Bayou Dixie Landin'? It is a Maurer SC2000, just like the one shown in the video, plus it closed in 2017.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm more interested in the Adventureland song and offensive logo that this coaster has over the coaster itself?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Is it possible that this could be Xtreme from Blue Bayou Dixie Landin'? It is a Maurer SC2000, just like the one shown in the video, plus it closed in 2017.
I was thinking that myself... But I hope not. I rode the Dixie one a few years ago and it was in such rough shape.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
*Sigh* Des Moines is too far of a drive for me to realistically do this park...but at the same time...this would now be a +6.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
After a period of stagnation it seems like this park is starting to do pretty well, Monster looked like a solid investment back in 2016 and this has come pretty soon after. Looking at RCDB the park looked pretty doomed before they announced Monster

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I saw someone on the Park's Facebook page ask if the ride was new or if it was the used one from blue bayou. Park said it was purchased new.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
That's an interesting color scheme for the ride being called "Phoenix"! I hope that Adventureland will paint it to a more suiting orange, yellow and/or red tone before it opens.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That's an interesting color scheme for the ride being called "Phoenix"! I hope that Adventureland will paint it to a more suiting orange, yellow and/or red tone before it opens.
Quite the odd color scheme for a coaster named "Phoenix"! Part of me expects it to be a vibrant orange-on-red, but oh well. Still, it is a surprising addition for this mid-sized park! :);)
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

I LOL'd! :p

It is quite a drab looking ride at the moment. Hopefully they have SOMETHING to liven it up.