What's new

CF Music Swap

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'm going with any coaster or theme park connection, be that song name, general content, lyrics, video...whatever.

Edit: realised this didn't really answer the question. Some people have gone for the word roller coaster, others for actual coaster names being featured, and some a more general theme park/fair feel. I don't really think it matters tbh.

Last edited:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Yeah, sorry. I'm on holiday atm and was hoping to get it sorted before I left but was still waiting for couple to come through. Have them all now so will send them out tonight.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Results time...

Gavin on GuyWithAStick

Gorillaz - 19-2000
I could never really get into Gorrillaz, and I'm not sure why. I think maybe a lot of their stuff is a bit, I don't know, sluggish is maybe the word? Like it needs a bit of a shove and it'd connect with me a bit better. This is a good example of that, especially with the sample from a much more upbeat track. I can see that it's "good", but it's just not clicking personally. Not really getting "theme park" either, not even tenuously.

Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
I hate this song. Hate it. And I'm usually a huge fan of most things '80s.

Anno Domini Beats - Gladiator
This is quite fab, but I'd like it a lot more if the vocal was brought forward more instead of the drum machine being so prominent. Makes it sound a bit cheap.

Planet Coaster Soundtrack - You, Me and Gravity
Lovely as background music. Way too repetitive to actually "listen" to. It's literally 4 bars repeated for over five minutes, changing up the layers of instrumentation. Like I said though, nice background music for a game/TV show etc.

IMAscore - Helix
IMAscore are clearly the tits when it comes to ride music, and this is no exception. There's a big however though, and it's more a personal thing. I'm not usually a fan of ride music outside the context of a ride. I will occasionally listen to something to see what it's like, bearing in mind a ride context, to see how it "works", but won't usually listen to it as music in its own right if that makes sense. If I'm going to listen to purely instrumental stuff, it has to be more than synthesisers; I want "real" instruments in there.

GuyWithAStick on JayJay

M83 ft. Susanne Sundfør - Oblivion (Alton Towers)
Very nice instrumentals here. And some good vocals too, but there seems to be something slightly off about the way they were put together. Can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but they just don't sound completely right together... 6.5/10

Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer
Ooh, that's a good one! Absolutely adore the music video, as well as the song in general. The amusement park bit made me smile. Most definitely adding this one to my personal playlist! 8/10

CHVRCHES - Never Ending Circles
Not a bad song, but it just didn't really appeal to me very much. Maybe it was the instrumentals between the verses, maybe it was the tiring/hypnotic video, I'm not sure. I could understand why someone else might like it, though. Just not for me. 7/10

Keane - Spiralling
Interesting! Super strange and weird music video, which I really liked. Nice strange sounds, and some very good singing there. Just an overall weird and cool song. I like it! 7.5/10

Boston - More Than A Feeling (used in Barclaycard rollercoaster advert)
Ahh, yes. Some nice 70s rock, one of my favorite genres. More than a Feeling, too. Very nice choice! Great song to sing to in the car with some friends. It's already in my playlist, so I'm not sure what else to say about this song!
clip_image001.png
9/10

JayJay on Sandman

Upside Down - Diana Ross
"You turn me inside out and round and round." Was this the first song written about a Vekoma SLC? Anyway, it's a standard disco track about "I love you". Diana puts some enthusiasm into the verses, but can't say it does a huge amount for me elsewhere.

Farewell to the Fairground - White Lies
Already liking the atmosphere on the opening riff. Decent lyrics about embarking on new adventures in life (probably). The whole track is full of colour and contrast, which I love. When it gets to the chorus and the harmonies come in, it feels big!

The Launch - DJ Jean
Gotta be honest: late 90s euro-house is not my thing at all. I could imagine liking this better in a club setting, but it's not built on strong enough motifs or samples for it hold 4 minutes for me.

Wildfire - SBTRKT
It's intriguing, but not for me. I like the vocals though, and they go wild in the chorus. Wikipedia tells me this guy's name is pronounced 'subtract,' so presumably, this is where Mr Sheeran's getting his next album's inspiration from.

I Get Lifted - George McCrae
Nice laidback soul piece. I feel like he's not quite as much of a presence in this as he is in Rock Your Baby, where the lush strings give him a lovely bed to hang his smooth delivery over. Still, someway decent.

Hmm. None of the music tastes I'm familiar with match this set of songs, so I'd go with someone like Sandman who I don't know much about. Then again, could be anyone if the theme has stretched people's comfort zone.

Sandman on TheKingIn64

Willy Wonka - Pure Imagination
Not a song you'd find on my iPod but something that works incredibly well in the context of the film/scene. I do love the original Willy Wonka and this is definitely one of the
best musical moments. Gene Wilder is incredible. Particularly love the eerie chime which is still distinctive to this day.

The Doors - Riders of the Storm
A rock classic. Not one I listen to loads but I appreciate the funky bass, mellow tempo and Jim Morrison's haunted vocals.

Tegan & Sara - Everything is Awesome
Similar to the Willy Wonka track, it's one I've seen and works well in the context of the clip/film. The Lego Movie is pretty entertaining and funny, and yeah, it's great in that. As a song though, not my cuppa. Quite garish and almost tacky sounding in it's production, but I guess it's meant to be that way when heard in the film.

Toverland - Troy
I love Troy so hearing this on the selection is great hah! It is a seriously cheesy track though, ain't it? Again, not iPod material but nostalgia all the less!

You Me At Six - Swarm
[/QUOTE]
Meh. Not a fan of this style of vocal or guitar work in modern rock music. Surprised this is even for Swarm, I've never heard it. Don't think it really works for a ride though? Very action film end credits in style and tone.

TheKingIn64 on AttackHammer

Tsunami - Manic Street Preachers - Tidal Wave at Thorpe
Catchy song, better than some of the other stuff I've heard from the same band. Surely should be linked to the M&Ds ride though, not Tidal Wave.... 7/10

Love In An Elevator - Aerosmith - Tower Of Terror
Reviewed last time so shall stick to my comments last time:

Monster At The End Anthrax - Expedition Everest
Quite good and very enjoyable to listen to. 8/10

Fly By Night - Rush – ET
Ok, still listenable but definitely not as good as the others in this list. 5/10

AttackHammer on Will

The Storm - Flying Colours

A song bit like an underpowered car. You want more performance but it simply isn't there. Bland 3/10.

Rush - Lakeside Park
Big Rush Fan, decent Rush song. 6/10

Dire Straits - Tunnel Of Love.
I bloody hate Dire Straits. This song gives me no reason to change that opinion -1/10

Dream Theatre - Along for the Ride
I really like this song 8/10

After Forever – Droomvlucht
(This was hard to find online. Ignore the goon's video and the last few minutes after the song ends...)
Not too bad! 5/10

Will on MysteriousSue

Before we see anything, I’m already confident these are Sue’s picks!

The Smiths – Rusholme Ruffians
I reckon this has less to do with dodgy Manchester suburbs and more to do with Thorpe from what I can work out of the lyrics. As such, this would do alright on my iPod, to be honest – but, although I can see that Morrisey is undeniably very good, his whining vocals and relentless cynicism CAN start to wear thin. Lighten up, Morrisey is a Sparks song, and until he does, he’ll probably spend a lot more time walking home alone. I like the contrast of the bleak lyrics with and the upbeat (if unimaginative) background music. Oh, abrupt ending is abrupt.

Franz Ferdinand – Eleanor, Put Your Boots On
I think I may already know this one. The video has a badly drawn cred, which I approve of. I’ve always said Franz Ferdinand sound like a mix of Sparks, Mr Weebl and Furie, but as I don’t dislike either, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s making me smile, which is more than I could say for the last track! Sibling has described it as ‘harmless’, which is a fair description – I quite enjoyed it, especially the musical interludes in between – but I’d be lying if I said I know why.

Dada – Dizz Knee Land
Car crashes, presidential assaults, drug abuse... Sue, is this a list of things that you and I would rather do than return to DLP?
My immediate thought was ‘REM called and would like their song back’ but I think that’s just the verses – the vocals and lyrics aren’t as good as theirs, but the guitarwork between is definitely more interesting. As such, I shall call this ‘the lovechild of REM and Pearl Jam’. It got a bit boring 3 minutes in, and I’d be in no hurry to check out more of their stuff, but I did enjoy the outro.

Counting Crows – Palisades Park
OK, so somebody has joined me in the ‘long songs’ game
clip_image001.png

The trumpet solo did not fill me with confidence, but once the song finally gets involved, it’s reminiscent of a Thin Lizzy song in the narrative style – albeit obviously with lighter background music – and the video is slightly distracting; I feel like a mixture of Tommy Wiseau and Darren Aronofsky may have directed it.
In the same way that I’m not sure why I liked Franz Ferdinand, I’m not certain why I dislike this – other than it doesn’t really go anywhere. I feel like it’d grow on me with a few more listens, but for now, I’ve… already forgotten how it went.

Aimee Mann – Rollercoasters
Having seen the film Magnolia, I already know a few of Aimee Mann’s songs (Save Me and You Do <3), so I have a fair idea what to expect from this. Although this is music for when I’m feeling a bit down and delicate, I enjoy her cynical/realistic outlook on the world and can identify with this lyric if I think about it too much. The background music may be a bit forgettable, bur her voice is interesting, powerful and emotive enough to make up for that – I can see myself listening to this again some other time.

MysteriousSue on HeartlineCoaster

Bring Me The Horizon - Avalanche
It started with lots of promise but never really managed to live up to those first 30 seconds of intro which are much harder and contain more life than the rest of the song. Soft living room rock dressing up as something it’s not. The constant change of pace did little to inspire and simply teased at a big crescendo that never really delivered. Definitely not the worst thing I’ve heard and I’d play it again but it’s just a little too generic for my taste. Especially the vocals/lyrics – it just sounds like every other American college rock band. ‘The square doesn’t fit the circle’ – ohh look at me, I’m so maladjusted! Approve of the live footage though. I’d always much rather watch the band to get a feel for them than have an arty video. 6/10

Monsta X - Hero
OK, so it’s Korean Blue trying to channel Mans Zelmerlow. I hear Eurovision is finally going to Asia so I’m assuming this is a taster of exactly what we might expect - from the ones that don’t quite make it through the semis. It’s really not my thing but for what it is, it actually ticks a lot of boxes: ridiculously catchy, cute young guys with floppy fringes, annoying dancing, a rap breakdown. The 1990s called and, Asia, they want you back. Yeah, they want you back for good. 2/10

Yumemiru Adolescence – Stealth Bukai 25.00
Yes this is more like it. Everything we’ve come to expect from the perfect J-pop formula. Underage girls in leather. Ridiculous tempo and synthesizers galore. Kawaii dance moves and each with their own little anime hairstyle – dawww. It’s so terribly, terribly damn catchy and you can’t help but get dragged along with a smile as they piss about in that most normal of adolescent rites of passage – the warehouse sleepover. Apparently, the title means ‘Stealth Meeting 1:00am’ but there’s nothing stealthy about this in the slightest. Smash, bang, sugary pop wallop, aww aren’t we cute…say we’re cute…say we’re ****ing cute dammit or we’ll kill you in your sleep! Better be a 6/10 then.

Sparks The Rescue – We Love Like Vampires
More twee college rock. Yeah, +1 for slight humour in the video I guess. I’m flailing here. Damn Twilight has a lot to answer for. 4/10

Madina Lake – Welcome To Oblivion
Well at least the picker is consistent, if consistently generic. You must just love Jimmy Eat World. This is ok I guess as summery fell-good background music. Sorry, but it just doesn’t change my life. Yay for an Oblivion mention? 4/10

HeartlineCoaster on CaffeineDemon

Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (like a topspin)
Why so specific on the topspin? There's a plethora of better ways to spin in the theme park universe.
Already aware of this song from who knows where, wouldn't have been able to name the artist though.
If you wanted a strong injection of that 80's sound this would probably do it for you.
That's about it.

The Beatles - Ticket to Ride
Never liked the Beatles due to their success from such mediocrity. Having just watched this live performance I now like them even less. Always imagined them to be genuine blokes, not obnoxiously chewing gum and half-arsing their way through a crap song.
Used to think the song was tied to Ryde (Isle of Wight) in some way. Illusion shattered by the spelling.
Pass.

Madness - Ghost Train
Madness were one of my favourites growing up, before I moved onto some more personal preferences. Still like their stuff a lot, just never really finding myself going for a listen. This song is great, quite liked their change in style with the more mellowed out sound in their later songs. Even after not hearing it for about 10 years, I could sing along to every word and the noise at 0:48 was deeply ingrained enough in my head for me to signal it with a finger.
Love it.

Stanglers - Waltzinblank (Just has pleasure beach soundtrack written all over it)
I need a bit more out of an instrumental than this to keep me interested. Not sure a band should release this sort of stuff, as it sounds like something you'd knock up for a school project.
Barely a song, so you're right about the soundrack aspect. Probably best to make it part of a medley though, standalone it would get worse than the Laughing Man.
No thanks.

Abba - Bang a Boomerang
Only song I haven't heard before, even though I could sing a lot more Abba songs than I should be able to, at gunpoint. Their faces always have an infectious sense of fun in their music videos (what the Beatles should have been in my mind) and this is no exception. I'm a Eurovision fan and they're very much that, so plus points there.
Good enough.

I probably came across overly critical there, but it was a fun exercise so thanks for that.
Was this set of songs hampered by the need for a theme? Probably.
If you're representing those artists as a fan, they wouldn't be particularly good song picks
(excluding the first one, cos that's like the only song they have)
((and Madness, would have liked pretty much anything but Wings of a Dove)).

Think I'm meant to guess who these belong to.
Don't really know enough to make an informed one, so I'll close my eyes and point... bad luck Sandman.

CaffeineDemon on Gavin

Kylie Minogue: Spinning Around
Not one of her best - always found it rather bland and irritating

Macy Gray: Oblivion
Ooh yeah - this is good, Heard it a few times and not known who it was by, has a great "seedy carnival" feel! can see people getting ripped off on games stalls whilst it's playing.

Fiona Apple: Fast as You Can
too bonkers to evaluate on a first listening - I may like it, or it may end up getting on my tits.. just don't know yet!

No Doubt: Tragic Kingdom
(I could only find a live version on YouTube for some reason - Sue)
Typically jaunty stuff from no doubt, but doesn't really convey a theme park vibe

Tori Amos: Big Wheel
Big tori fan - this is great(except for the M I L F bit)! and the video reminds me of peter gabriels sledgehammer, which has a mention of roller coasters, so a big tenuous plus there!

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
UGH. Disqualification for reminding me Sparks: The Rescue exist. One of the worse bands I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.
A 6 for Bring Me The Horizon is also generous...

Apologies for the long song picks, but I felt like I'd used my best theme park related songs on the previous round, and didn't want to have to resort to ride soundtracks.
That said, well done everyone who didn't pick Simply Red's 'Fairground' or anything by B*Witched.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I was tempted by RHCP's Rollercoaster of Love. By the way Will,
I’ve always said Franz Ferdinand sound like a mix of Sparks...
In case this isn't where you plucked that observation from, they did an entire album with Sparks in 2015. It's pretty cool

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Lol, it wasn't intentionally aimed at you Will (you were just next on the list) but I can see your point...

Err I might not have picked a great version of Rusholme Ruffians for you (the Peel sessions are normally fab but this one seemed rather lacking in bass) - seems to have mysteriously corrected itself now...no idea how that happened ;p This song ALWAYS reminds me of Thorpe, if not for the fighting then for the marvellous line that conjures up Stealth 'the grease in the hair of a speedway operator is all a tremulous heart requires'!

The Franz Ferdinand one must be the single version as it's slightly different to the one I know - on this one Alex seems to be channeling Brian ferry for some reason.
And I don't really like that Counting Crows track much either - in general I think Counting Crows are always a bit soppy - but childhood memories of a park fitted the topic better than most songs I could think of.

Surprised no one picked that song about Cedar Point, I thought it'd be a given!

Will

Strata Poster
This monstrosity was also tempting :p
[media]
I've got a very long drive tomorrow, so may find some more Franz Ferdinand and Aimee Mann :)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero

jayjay

Giga Poster
I feel like another one of these. I'll be theming all the rounds from now on, so feel free to come up with suggestions. If there's lots of good ideas, I can pick some out of a hat. But in the meantime...

Round 5: International Edition
As usual, come up with a list of five songs to send onwards. You have a free choice of music, but I want to see five different songs from five different countries. I won't enforce anal rules about how to define where an act is from (if you want one, take the artist's birthplace), but try to pick a nice big range of stuff and get in the spirit of the round.

Send your five songs to me, or post in this thread that you want to play. Have fun!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Count me in again!

Quick question: would the UK contain as 1 whole or would Wales and England be separate?

EDIT: Scratch that, have thought of 5 without needing the UK at all!

Last edited:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
quick question - suppose there was a song called "Lithuania is fantastic", but it's by a canadian artist - could that count as a lithuania song, or is it purely based on artists country of origin?