What's new

Longest Roller Coaster Name?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Yes, this topic is as silly as it sounds.

The Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain got me thinking: what's the longest roller coaster name you can think of?

Without the article (rcdb lists it without the 'the'), this one is five words, 33 letters ...

TilenB

Strata Poster
I think this travelling coaster from UK takes the cake.
2887.jpg

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
That certainly wins with its 52 letters! That said, technically speaking, if that title contained all the hyphens it should have grammatically, it would would actually only be five words.

Anyway, I'm more disturbed at Pocahontas being put in such close proximity to John Wayne.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
SpongeBob SquarePants Rock Bottom Plunge is a decent contender. Especially since "SpongeBob" and "SquarePants" are combined words, with the capitalized letters and all.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts also clocks in at seven words.

And I believe X at SFMM is the shortest coaster name in history. Unless there's a coaster called "I" somewhere, it takes the record with only two strokes of a pencil in a single letter.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
While it doesn't set any records, I always liked Il Tempo Extra Gigante.

Yeah, about that... it seems like the ride might actually have to change its name, due to a lawsuit between the park and the descendants/film company of the guy who made The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix. The park insists that the ride was based on the original drawings of "Il Tempo Gigante" from the author Kjell Aukrust, and hence they didn't have to ask Caprino Film for permission (or pay them royalties) to build the coaster. Caprino Film, on the other hand, said that the car would not have been as iconic if not for the movie, and that they therefore have a right to their share of the revenue brought in by the coaster, or deny the park the right to use the name. The courts have apparently sided with the film company, so Il Tempo Extra Gigante may have to change its name.

It's a mess. I can see if I can piece together a News thread by going through what the newspapers have written over the past few months. By the way, I highly recommend seeing the movie.