What's new

Paultons Park | Tornado Springs | New Area | 2021

Will

Strata Poster
Well, with the arguable exception of Wickerman, I think it's a good 15 years since I was this excited for a family coaster - I think @Serena has a point about the last year lowering our spoiled expectations, and I don't think it's any bad thing!

That said, my 'bubble' have banished me back to Stoke for the evening, because I'd become the annoying kind of excited and was being too loud :D

I too will see any travelling goons tomorrow, though I'll be spending most of the day on the motorway!!

Matt N

CF Legend
It would appear that construction on Farmyard Flyer is coming along nicely, as what appears to be a huge station building is already well underway:

Also, initial reviews of Storm Chaser sound very positive; Shawn from TPW’s review was “stunningly themed and surprisingly intense”!

Peet

Giga Poster
I'm there today too, here are some brief notes from this morning.

This area is great, absolutely lots of theming with a brilliant sense of humour. Storm Chaser is churning through the queues really well for a ride with only 16 seats per train. I enjoyed the ride, although I'm sure it spins less than the other SSW clone I've ridden in Dubai.
20210412_103042.jpg

Cyclonator is fantastic - it swings higher than I expected and is very intense. I love gyroswings and considering the amazing aesthetics of this thing, it might just might be the best flat ride I've ever ridden.
20210412_104643.jpg

Here's the station for farmyard flyer which looks huge for a kiddie cred:
20210412_105940.jpg

Buffalo Falls is great too. Overall I'm remembering why everyone loves this park so much!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Loving everything I've seen so far!

Really looking forward to my visit on Thursday with my little brother. And glad to hear that Storm Chaser is churning through its queue; after hearing of advertised 60+ minutes queues for it, I'm glad it sounds likely to be a quick moving queue!

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Looks impressive. The landscaping always seems great at Paultons from photos and vlogs I've seen. Perhaps the best in the UK.

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest, how intense is Cyclonator compared to some other flat rides you’ve done? Only asking because I’m visiting Paultons for the first time this July, and I’ll admit I’m looking forward to Cyclonator, but I’ll admit that I’m also not the biggest fan of really spinny rides; I genuinely thought I was going to vomit after getting of Air Race at Drayton Manor, to give you some idea, and a particularly spinny lap on Ice Mountain at Winter Wonderland once left me practically unable to walk in a straight line...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Out of interest, how intense is Cyclonator compared to some other flat rides you’ve done? Only asking because I’m visiting Paultons for the first time this July, and I’ll admit I’m looking forward to Cyclonator, but I’ll admit that I’m also not the biggest fan of really spinny rides; I genuinely thought I was going to vomit after getting of Air Race at Drayton Manor, to give you some idea, and a particularly spinny lap on Ice Mountain at Winter Wonderland once left me practically unable to walk in a straight line...
Pendulums generally aren't very spinny, the thrill comes from the swinging. That being said I love pendulum rides, with the exception of Flip Flop and Mingoland. I don't know why but that ride does things to my body that leaves me with a day-long abdominal pain whenever I ride it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Pendulums generally aren't very spinny, the thrill comes from the swinging. That being said I love pendulum rides, with the exception of Flip Flop and Mingoland. I don't know why but that ride does things to my body that leaves me with a day-long abdominal pain whenever I ride it.
Yeesh, that sounds painful! Is Flip Flop particularly intense or something?

Peet

Giga Poster
It's less intense and nowhere near as nauseating as an air race, but in terms of enjoyment there is really no comparison, you'll love it.

Matt N

CF Legend
It's less intense and nowhere near as nauseating as an air race, but in terms of enjoyment there is really no comparison, you'll love it.
Thanks for the review @Peet; I look forward to riding in July!

In terms of swinging rides, I absolutely love Rush at Thorpe, and I guess this is just kind of like Rush, but with a slight spinning element!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I’m knackered. If you want some photos, head over to CF's Facebook and Twitter, but I'll post some more on the home page this coming week.

The area is great. Full of nice details and touches, such as humourous themeing, boxed in coaster supports, beer bottle trees, sound and visual effects (smoking machinery, ringing telephones, 'sparking' power units) and, of course, some well selected attractions. Paultons have really excelled themselves.

I found Storm Chaser good fun, the helix being the crowning glory. Moderate spin and an ok pace. It's my second favourite coaster in the park after Flight of the Pterosaur. I do think on-board audio ala Toverland would've upped it's score slightly but it looks fantastic and is bang on the money for Paultons.

Cyclonator was slightly less floaty compared to Malestrom at Drayton, but still enough to make me smile and get that wobbly leg feeling. This is the upper end of the thill bar for Paultons. It is not a "stepping stone" to up the park's thrill rating. They are every comfortable with their target market, but recognise the need to plug the wider age gap that some families have; something for the young teens as well as the toddlers.

Windmill Towers took me by surprise. Some great willy-lift - more so than Magma!

The spruce ups of the water slide and tractor rides are well done. Perfectly manicured and presented but, as expected, it's a refreshed aesthetic ride experience, both of which fit in comfortably with their new theme.

The park confirmed to me the new coaster opening next year will be a simple yet customised Zierer Force (don't ask me what 'number').

It's brilliant to see a park comfortable in it's own skin. They're being ambitions but sensible at the same time. Not trying to break records, or attract visitors with gimmicks, deals or events. Go there for a chilled, pleasant day out and that's what you'll get. Alongside the public, there were plenty of goons at the park today, some of them recogisable faces, which says it all. It's the first day of the UK season and they could've gone anywhere, but many took the time to head to the south coast for what is the biggest theme park thing of 2021. I'm so glad Paultons didn't open Tornado Springs last year. It's given them time to add some magical touches and prevented it being quickly "denied" to many of us goons when lockdown hit. We've got something to appreciate and a visitor goal for 2021. After the turd that was 2020, it's exactly what we need!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The park confirmed to me the new coaster opening next year will be a simple yet customised Zierer Force (don't ask me what 'number').
I KNEW IT! The footers look very similar to that of a Zierer Force 1 (mirror image of Indy-Blitz at Heide Park), so I'm assuming that's what it'll be, or at least something with a similar profile.

Last edited:

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Paulton's just kicked Merlin's ass with these additions.

They proved that you can theme properly and choose suitable, good-looking, quality attractions for the whole family. Genuinely excited about Tornado Springs opening. Well-done!

Matt N

CF Legend
From what I've seen from videos today, Cyclonator had a humongous line which stretched well outside of its entrance. So maybe some more thrilling rides will be down the pipeline.
I suppose the proof will be in whether the park’s guests rate the ride highly. Although if the queue is that long, then I’d say that’s a fairly good sign that thrill rides would be very much enjoyed at Paultons!

Which in itself bodes well for us enthusiasts! Hopefully we could see a really nice thrill coaster make its way to Paultons in the next few years; something like a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz or RMC Raptor would work really well, in my opinion!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I suppose the proof will be in whether the park’s guests rate the ride highly. Although if the queue is that long, then I’d say that’s a fairly good sign that thrill rides would be very much enjoyed at Paultons!

Which in itself bodes well for us enthusiasts! Hopefully we could see a really nice thrill coaster make its way to Paultons in the next few years; something like a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz or RMC Raptor would work really well, in my opinion!
That's too extreme for them imo. I think we could see a GG family woodie coming in the next few years, something around the size of Wood Express, or a bit larger would be nice.

On another note, Mack Rides posted a very short article on Storm Chaser, which includes the coaster's stats:-

Track Length:- 459m
Max Height:- 19.5m
Max Speed:- 16.5m/s
Max Acceleration/G-Force:- 3.2
Throughput:- 1,000pph

It’s opening day again! – Mack Rides (mack-rides.com)

Somehow it's a bit larger than Sierra Sidewinder.