What's new

What do you find most scary? / Phobias?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
My phobia is vomit. If I see someone being sick in real life or on TV everything goes into slow motion like when you fall off your bike and my heart rate goes through the roof. I'm 25 and haven't vomited since I was around 11 so I feel there could be something ingrained in me to avoid doing it through fear. I physically can't burp either on purpose or naturally which I think may be linked to my emetophobia.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
My phobia is vomit. If I see someone being sick in real life or on TV everything goes into slow motion like when you fall off your bike and my heart rate goes through the roof. I'm 25 and haven't vomited since I was around 11 so I feel there could be something ingrained in me to avoid doing it through fear. I physically can't burp either on purpose or naturally which I think may be linked to my emetophobia.
I once thought I had passed some kind of enthusiast milestone when I was sitting on a bench at Canada’s Wonderland eating poutine, and then a kid sprinted up, shoved his head INTO the flap of a trash bin right next to me, and proceeded to vomit, and I never stopped eating. As the kid was walking away and I heard a parent say “I warned you about all that powdered sugar!” I felt vaguely proud of myself.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Barking dogs that are wandering around unrestrained threateningly.

Im scared they'll come and bite me.

Matt N

CF Legend
Now, I never used to think I was really scared of anything, but the more I think about it, the more I think I might be scared of quite a few things. And I think some of my fears are quite uncommon. Some of the things I’m most scared of include:
  • Most flying insects: Now, flies don’t bother me, but I must admit that things like bees, wasps & moths really unsettle me, and I’m not particularly comfortable around butterflies either.
  • Dogs: Now I know I’m going to get a lot of flack for this one, given that everyone seems to love them and most people I know own at least one dog, but I am genuinely quite scared of dogs. I always used to say I wasn’t scared of dogs, but given a recent encounter with a fairly large dog left me very panicky, I’d definitely beg to differ now.
  • Scare actors/Costumed characters: Again, I feel like I’m going to get a lot of flack for this one given that most people seem to love them, but I’ve never been particularly comfortable around actors & costumed characters. I’m particularly scared of scare actors after a bad experience in London when I was a small child, which is why I tend to avoid parks during the scare season, but even costumed characters do make me quite panicky, I must admit. I know that for many people who visit Disney, for example, meeting the characters like Mickey & Minnie are one of the highlights of the experience, but whenever I saw a costumed character roaming the midways at any of the parks in Disney World when I went last April, I instantly felt quite panicky, and started desperately hoping they wouldn’t notice me (thankfully, they didn’t).

brokethemorning

Roller Poster
  • Needles. I get nervous before being stuck with needles for medical reasons, and I've had too many bad experiences with missticks of needles to be put off by them.
  • Stinkbugs. This is a very weird fear, but I have a huge fear of stinkbugs. It's gotten to the point where I've actually taken a basket where a stinkbug has landed, carried it to the toilet, and shaken it off until it's landed in there.
  • Heights. I love coasters but hate heights. If I know I'm coming down within seconds I'm fine, but if I'm up high for a while, I will start developing anxiety/panic symptoms.
  • People standing behind me. It's a paranoia thing that comes from my panic disorder, but if I'm not aware someone is behind me, I freak out and will position myself so that they're not behind me.
  • People touching my neck. I don't feel like I'm suffocating, so when someone puts their hands near my neck, I freeze and panic. I've even moved people's hands off from near my neck.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
  • Dogs: Now I know I’m going to get a lot of flack for this one, given that everyone seems to love them and most people I know own at least one dog, but I am genuinely quite scared of dogs. I always used to say I wasn’t scared of dogs, but given a recent encounter with a fairly large dog left me very panicky, I’d definitely beg to differ now.

Matt... Luna says “Don’t be scared, we mostly just want to play (and eat treats.) We can sense fear and that makes us very nervous too”

9FA207F2-7EAC-41A9-9C3A-229B9A1F8054.jpeg

taken just 30 seconds ago ???

Matt N

CF Legend
Matt... Luna says “Don’t be scared, we mostly just want to play (and eat treats.) We can sense fear and that makes us very nervous too”

View attachment 8928

taken just 30 seconds ago ???
Awww; Luna looks very cute in that photo!

I know it’s a completely irrational fear, as most dogs mean no harm and only want to be friends, but they are very outgoing animals by nature, and when they jump up all over you and bark at you, it does make me incredibly anxious, I must admit.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Honestly, i feel this so much. I went from maybe 1998 until about 2 years ago without ever getting sick that way...and I was terrified when it actually happened