What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Just said on TV that zoos have collectively been given £14M funding towards animal care... And several million (no figure) in furlough payments towards staff costs.

I make that over £290k per zoo... Are you sure it isn’t £100k per month for the 3 months of lockdown???

Either way it clearly isn’t enough... Twycross food bill alone is £25k a month... And despite many staff being furloughed they still need keepers working. There’s also medical care, and of course their fixed costs, energy, rent etc etc... One of the biggest costs, the conservation work many of the zoos carry out, will likely be the hardest hit without more help.

To me this looks like a one off grant.

But it cannot be enough even if it were monthly. I'm sure I saw the cost of Colchester zoo at £7 million per year.

Indeed much of the staff can be furloughed which reduces it significantly.

In my eyes it should just be taken care off without question, there's only 48 zoos.. Twycross Zoo posted again that they are on the brink of extinction.

It just looks like it has been forgotten by many politicians and shouldn't have to come to that. I've not heard anyone in opposition mention it either btw.

Now face coverings will be mandatory from June 15th on public transport. All these rules, SO late. What is it, seriously?!
I'm sure it will be mandatory until the next large scale demonstration when rules clearly do not apply. Jokers.
Has anyone thought about the implications with regards to safety from criminal behaviour? What is the point of all the CCTV around the cities if people cannot be recognised? Are these coverings really justified now that infection rates and the number of people in hospitals is dropping?

Shapps says people on crowded beaches should stay two metres away from each other.

"The message could not be clearer," he says.
Crystal clear Shapps; When people are in small numbers you will fine them and apply the rules and when a mob comes together the rules go out the window. Even though the latter is far more dangerous for virus spread.

Last edited:

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Im glad I dont have to use public transport, and there would be no way now,
how many know how to use PPE facemasks correctly,
the amount of infection accumulated on the front of a mask is huge,
so easy to spread around when people are constantly touching and readjusting the mask
pulling it down their chin , on the top of their head to get a bit of air before putting it back
?
too late dot com like everything else

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
so easy to spread around when people are constantly touching and readjusting the mask
pulling it down their chin , on the top of their head to get a bit of air before putting it back
?

It's a good thing one of the hotels I was considering booking for BPB is available again for July, it wasn't when I looked a few weeks ago. It otherwise would have meant getting the tram between hotel and park or driving. Think I'd avoid public transport altogether like you said.

Since there are so many exemptions (elderly -the exact people most at risk- & disabled and people with asthma don't have to wear one) why not just say "We recommend everyone travelling on public transport to wear a mask." Why does it have to go straight to "Well if you don't wear one you get kicked off the bus or train."?
It just seems totally crazy at this point after repeatedly saying that wearing a mask doesn't help.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
what happens if you are midway on your journey and you loose your mask ?‍♂️
all these questions
so little time

now a waiting game to see what the UK parks take on this is 4 weeks and counting

JammyH

Hyper Poster
what happens if you are midway on your journey and you loose your mask ?‍♂️
all these questions
so little time

now a waiting game to see what the UK parks take on this is 4 weeks and counting

Finally a sensible decision from the government in regards to people wearing PPE and you are criticising it...?

I’m sorry but I don’t know how idiotic someone would have to be to lose their mask on their journey. If you “lose” your mask then you can’t get on simple as that.

Hopefully face masks will be compulsory in the UK parks, at least in covered areas.

?

We know from research that this infection is respiratory and is passed from droplets in from one humans breath to another. Transmission of the virus from surface to human has been scientifically proven to not be the main cause of spread of the virus... therefore touching and “readjusting” your mask isn’t any more likely to make you be able to pick up an infection.

It’s finally a sensible decision, masks are compulsory on public transport in pretty much every country now and yet we are last to jump in the bandwagon of common sense. You don’t see an increase in infections because people are “touching” their masks in Austria or Germany, do you? We actually see a reduction in transmission rate.

Masks are the way forward to reduce transmission of this virus and finally glad they are compulsory in public transport, shops too please. (And indoor theme park areas).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
@AndrewRollercoaster looks from the link you posted like the cash is going to aquariums too... So that explains the £14M figure... More mouths to feed ?

Twycross is the place close to my heart, I will be doing my upmost to support then over the coming weeks / months... My first zoo, the one I’ve visited the most, and (I think) my closest large zoo... Very happy memories of the place as a child, both on family outings and school trips. So it’s incredibly sad to see them struggling.

As far as masks go... We’ve always known there is a benefit to wearing them, in terms of reducing the risk to others. Sage minutes show that they had access to studies as early as early April. They had other motives for recommending against them, and those motives are also mentioned in the minutes. The fact that the biggest advantage to you wearing them is protecting others, makes the fact that vulnerable people don’t need to wear them redundant... You’re wearing one to protect them :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In Ohio, the governor remains silent on reopening timelines/guidance for museums, zoos, fairs, and parks. In response, Cedar Fair has officially endorsed HB 665, a new piece of state legislation that would immediately re-open parks, and even put a direct statement on the Cedar Point and Kings Island websites.

Will

Strata Poster
I don't like facemasks either - perhaps I just got a cheap batch, but I found they just fogged up my glasses and made breathing comfortably somewhat harder - definitely couldn't deal with a full day in one.

Going back to zoos, especially in the case of Chester, I'm baffled and it's pissed me off a fair bit - opening to limited guests with limited food/beverages, no gift shops and no indoor areas would NOT be hard and no shortage of people would pay full price, especially after yesterday's announcement.

Once that's done, I really don't see the difference between that and Alton's token gardens offering (which I admit, I will end up doing)

Best wishes to Twycross as well - as someone who's a big fan of gibbons, I've spent a few happy days there :)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
To me this looks like a one off grant.

But it cannot be enough even if it were monthly. I'm sure I saw the cost of Colchester zoo at £7 million per year.

Indeed much of the staff can be furloughed which reduces it significantly.

In my eyes it should just be taken care off without question, there's only 48 zoos.. Twycross Zoo posted again that they are on the brink of extinction.

It just looks like it has been forgotten by many politicians and shouldn't have to come to that. I've not heard anyone in opposition mention it either btw.

Now face coverings will be mandatory from June 15th on public transport. All these rules, SO late. What is it, seriously?!
I'm sure it will be mandatory until the next large scale demonstration when rules clearly do not apply. Jokers.
Has anyone thought about the implications with regards to safety from criminal behaviour? What is the point of all the CCTV around the cities if people cannot be recognised? Are these coverings really justified now that infection rates and the number of people in hospitals is dropping?

Crystal clear Shapps; When people are in small numbers you will fine them and apply the rules and when a mob comes together the rules go out the window. Even though the latter is far more dangerous for virus spread.

Where are you getting that figure of 48 from? BIAZA alone has over 100 accredited institutions listed (which also includes a handful of Irish collections) but not every collection is even BIAZA accredited as it costs a chunk of money to be a member.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I don't like facemasks either - perhaps I just got a cheap batch, but I found they just fogged up my glasses and made breathing comfortably somewhat harder - definitely couldn't deal with a full day in one.

It’s unfortunately not about whether people like wearing them, it’s about protecting vulnerable people from getting ill, and the wearing of face masks do exactly that.

My mum wears glasses and she wears her mask when going shopping and has had no issues with it steaming up her glasses. I think it’s about finding a good quality reusable mask that ensures comfortable breathing and reduces difficulties for those people who wear glasses. The masks we have at home do exactly that, they aren’t n95 or surgical ones but they are good quality reusable ones we found from a fashion company online.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Depends which sort you wear @JammyH

I have a well fitted chinese N95 mask with filter that doesn’t fog up my sun glasses, but a loose fitted ‘surgical’ type mask does, as the air escapes easiest at the top and straight up... I do feel for those who HAVE to wear glasses... But if it saves lives, just get on with it!!!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

I've tried a batch of cheap disposable ones, and they're tolerable for an hour or so, and only slightly fog up the glasses, but the reusable ones are awful and start digging into my ears after 5 minutes, so I've got some more on order from somewhere else.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
FWIW on masks, I've switched to wearing a buff - far more breathable for longer wearing times/outdoors, while still meeting the requirement for mask wearing where needed. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
A developing story, but Cedar Point, Kings Island, and Kalahari have all filed lawsuits against the state of Ohio to reopen. The governor will be sharing more on the matter (expectedly today at 2 PM during his regularly scheduled briefing). More to come.

Also, Kalahari has no chill. ?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hot off the presses (literally watching the live stream of the announcement): Governor Dewine has announced in Ohio that amusement parks and water parks may reopen in 2 weeks time, June 19, pending final approval of mitigation plans.

Expect the Cedar Point, Kings Island, and Kalahari lawsuits to be dropped.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
WHO now (finally) recommends everyone should wear a three-layered cloth face mask when going out anywhere in public. This is because there is new evidence that those with the virus are most infectious even before they know they have the virus and start displaying symptoms. This is why it is essential everyone wears face masks in enclosed spaces.

Over 60s and those with underlying health conditions should go one step further and wear medical grade face masks.

Reckon with this new advice we could see a big change in shift from our government to comply with the new WHO recommendations. Face masks might (and in my opinion, should) become compulsory in shops in the UK, as is the regulation in most other european and Asian countries. Face masks could also become compulsory in other public places such as cinemas (when they reopen) and predominately any other indoor public spaces (shopping centres, entertainment complex’s etc).

This could mean we see a shift to compulsory face masks in UK parks over the next few weeks, especially in indoor areas such as shops, 4D cinemas and queuelines.

It also means “snoods” and scarves may no longer be acceptable face coverings as the WHO recommends three layered cloth ones.

Let’s wait and see what happens.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
And who are going to supply all these masks. 7 billion masks per day for the entire global population :rolleyes:
I don’t know what your problem is with face masks, but they save lives and at the end of the day that’s the most important thing. The countries where people have worn masks have had the least transmission and therefore maybe if you wore one as well this could all be over sooner? Everyone has to work together and people not cooperating just makes this go on for longer.

There are plenty of manufacturers of surgical masks right now, as well as of cloth and reusable masks. You can even make your own face mask, there are plenty of tutorials online, or there are plenty of people in local communities making face masks for very cheap prices or donating them for free.

Personally, I am perfectly happy to make masks for those in need for free. If we all work together, there will be a plentiful supply of masks to go around. This is about cooperation and teamwork to save lives.