What's new

Efteling Expansion + New Coaster

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Bugger.

What a damn shame, and a real frustration for the park. Hopefully something can happen to change the local authority's mind.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I wonder how many of the local populous rely on Efteling for their livelihood, either directly or indirectly...?

Stupid ****ers.

peep

CF Legend
Well that news is upsetting. I hope Efteling and the planning authority can make some sort of arrangement as this sounds like it'll affect a lot more than the 2021 cred.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I can't seem to find reason to oppose the expansion.

It'll be right next to the motorway so it can't be a noise thing, and the benefit of a big new attraction surely is a positive for the area. The roads are pretty good around there too so it's not like Alton where increased traffic can be used as an argument.

Urgh, complaining for complaining is the worst. The locals should be proud of have such a world renowned independent park on their doorstep. I always thought Efteling was embraced by the local residents?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Saw this snippet of info in an article about Roland Mack:

“I am watching also the development at Efteling with interest. They have a beautiful park and beautiful additions. Not only because they are going to get two Mack rides in 2020/21, but also with their accommodation."

Pretty interesting if it turns out to be a Mack in 2021 although the article could be a mistranslation as the 2020 ride features two Mack tracks.

Link to the article: https://blooloop.com/features/roland-mack-70th-birthday-europa-park/

Saw this snippet of info in an article about Roland Mack:

“I am watching also the development at Efteling with interest. They have a beautiful park and beautiful additions. Not only because they are going to get two Mack rides in 2020/21, but also with their accommodation."

Pretty interesting if it turns out to be a Mack in 2021 although the article could be a mistranslation as the 2020 ride features two Mack tracks.

Link to the article: https://blooloop.com/features/roland-mack-70th-birthday-europa-park/
Mack Launch in 2021?? Just throwing out a theory ?

But seriously, I think a Mack Launch Coaster would be fantastic, either Helix (thrilling) or Manta (family), cause both works with Efteling, due to story, theming and landscaping

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Has anyone heard anything about the 2021 coaster project of Efteling? Last thing I remember was an interview with Fons Jurgens this January where he spoke about the challenges to get the approval for the extension of the park (https://www.ed.nl/brabant/efteling-wil-snel-uitbouwen~aafce99f/). In that interview he says "I expect a new session at the Council of State around March and the decision six to eight weeks later." [google translate] However, haven't heard anything since... I mean, by now it seem anyway very unlikely that it will be 2021 (even more so given the corona crises). But it would be interesting to hear, if there is any progress.

Ries

Mega Poster
Has anyone heard anything about the 2021 coaster project of Efteling? Last thing I remember was an interview with Fons Jurgens this January where he spoke about the challenges to get the approval for the extension of the park (https://www.ed.nl/brabant/efteling-wil-snel-uitbouwen~aafce99f/). In that interview he says "I expect a new session at the Council of State around March and the decision six to eight weeks later." [google translate] However, haven't heard anything since... I mean, by now it seem anyway very unlikely that it will be 2021 (even more so given the corona crises). But it would be interesting to hear, if there is any progress.

On the 9th of June (Dutch) there was a council meeting between all the parties.
After, I believe, 10 hours of debating they told it would take another 10/12 weeks. Mid August to September will be the final decision/ result.

The whole thing is still on Youtube: Here and Here.
So for now we have to wait.

BUT, yes there is one, Fons said in an interview during the opening of Max & Moritz, that they won't open another attraction of this (M&M) size any time soon.
I believe his words were: "The next couple of years".

Ries

Mega Poster
Fons gave another interview this week. Some words about what they have done to please the complaining neighbours. Like change the charging station of the electric maintenance vehicles, so they can drive forward in the morning and you don't hear the (driving backwards) beep. And that the local government wanted to see a masterplan instead of all small applications. So they made another one: Masterplan of the world of Efteling 2030.

Now they have to wait for the verdict of the "Raad van State", because of some neighbours complains. That will be half October.
But even if the plans will be approved, there is no money. There are going to be laid offs, Fons adds, that doesn't feels right.

Fons confirms the rollercoaster. But not the expected Circus theme. As far as I am told, the coaster is bought and ready. But Fons want to do it right. A whole themed area, not just a coaster.

If the plans will be disapproved. The Efteling puts its masterplan in the bin and will go back to all smaller applications. I think just to annoy everybody. A masterplan is for the local government and neighbours much clearer than all small applications. I do understand that Fons is saying this though. They tried to be accommodating. But got much resistance from everybody else.

There where three scenarios: Start, make small changes and start or go back to the drawing board.
"Drie scenario's klaar. En toen kwam corona. ,,En veranderde alles. Want ook al mógen we straks beginnen. We kunnen het niet.”"
"Three scenarios ready. And then came corona. “And everything changed. Because even if we may start soon. We can't.""​

Dutch article behind a paywall: Click

Matt N

CF Legend
Very positive to see that they are still pressing ahead with their vigorous expansion plans (or at least attempting to) in spite of COVID! I hope their application works out successfully for them!

cookie

Giga Poster
The zoning plan for park expansion still doesn't meet requirements, state council says. The Loon op Zand municipality has now been given six months to rectify fifteen "defects" in the plan, including that apparently the state council doesn't think Efteling's given adequate justification for wanting to acquire so much expansion space (arguing the grounds they currently own haven't been fully utilized), and that not enough has been investigated regarding potential consequences for surrounding residential areas and nature.

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/154...niet-in-orde--voorlopig-geen-uitbreiding.html (in Dutch)

Last edited:

Ries

Mega Poster
Well, the green light is finally here.

Dutch gouvernement organisation 'Raad van State' had time to review the 15 'defects' in the plan. And today at 10:15am local time, the gave the green light for the expansion. As my homepark and fan of this park, I couldn't be happier for this.

But all investments are on a hold because of covid. But who knows, how fast we can see some movement. Maybe in landscaping.
Even if Efteling doesn't grab all the JCB's right away. This is still great news.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
But all investments are on a hold because of covid. But who knows, how fast we can see some movement. Maybe in landscaping.
Even if Efteling doesn't grab all the JCB's right away. This is still great news.
For the bold bit especially, this is exactly right.

These sorts of planning decisions are (usually) just as hard to revoke as they are to gain, so this will put Efteling on a great path for the future. Like you say, it's not likely (although I'm hoping I'm wrong here) that we'll see plans for a new coaster published immediately with an opening in 2022, but this will give Efteling precedent to expand the park, and that's great news.

Ries

Mega Poster
For the bold bit especially, this is exactly right.

These sorts of planning decisions are (usually) just as hard to revoke as they are to gain, so this will put Efteling on a great path for the future. Like you say, it's not likely (although I'm hoping I'm wrong here) that we'll see plans for a new coaster published immediately with an opening in 2022, but this will give Efteling precedent to expand the park, and that's great news.

I think, with all the openings of new coasters nearby, Efteling needs (my opinion) to present plans for the new coaster. Enthousiasts are waiting for this for over 5 years. Probably, I don't think before the summer ends.

Second thing, I still hear rumours that the coaster parts are purchased, manufactured and stored nearby Efteling. So if this is true. Who knows. Some groundwork will start even this summer.

Edit:
I am excited as you can read. But although the new Bakery looks really good. It was not the new thing I was waiting for. So this is just great news.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I think, with all the openings of new coasters nearby, Efteling needs (my opinion) to present plans for the new coaster.

I agree here.

Obviously Efteling are in a league of their own in many respects, and it's not like they hadn't invested well prior to the pandemic. But parks in Netherlands and Belgium have seen waves of good investments over recent years, and it's - generally speaking - a very competitive market in that region.

They'll be fine if they don't invest, in terms of visitor numbers and earnings and all that, but I think if they want to get back to pre-pandemic numbers quickly (once all restrictions are hopefully gone), then they'll need to invest sooner rather than later.

I don't think we'll see it straight away. But 2023, 2024 at the latest, is what I feel like they should be aiming for right now.

Ries

Mega Poster
I agree here.

Obviously Efteling are in a league of their own in many respects, and it's not like they hadn't invested well prior to the pandemic. But parks in Netherlands and Belgium have seen waves of good investments over recent years, and it's - generally speaking - a very competitive market in that region.

They'll be fine if they don't invest, in terms of visitor numbers and earnings and all that, but I think if they want to get back to pre-pandemic numbers quickly (once all restrictions are hopefully gone), then they'll need to invest sooner rather than later.

I don't think we'll see it straight away. But 2023, 2024 at the latest, is what I feel like they should be aiming for right now.

Totally agree here. Even 2023 sounds too far away.
But Fons (Park director) just posted a Youtube video, telling us there will be no investments 'right now'. Unfortunately.

Edit:
The Dutch site with the ooo's has had contact with the park and they confirmed that construction will start in 2022.
Source: In Dutch

Last edited:

Rupert

Mega Poster
I think this is key. I lived in The Hague in 2013 and 2014 (just over an hour from Efteling) and when I told my Dutch colleagues I was going to the park, the reactions were all “oh I’ve been there - but isn’t it for children?”

They had all been as kids - haven’t something like 90% of the Dutch population been? It’s a real institution. But those without kids, or parents who hadn’t taken their children yet, still assumed it was a children’s park without much to do for adults, let alone big coasters (though of course they could all remember Python). Of course I lived there before Baron 1898 was complete which is a step up in thrills, but there were still a fair few coasters. As you both say above, given how active the rest of the Benelux parks have been in recent years, with major overlap of catchment areas and advertising, a major coaster investment would be great for the park.

(as an aside - when writing the above about how Efteling is, or was, perceived as a children’s park despite some significant coaster investment, I thought of the similar situation Toverland is in. So successful in the children’s development that the pivot to the whole family/greater thrill offering isn’t cutting through as much as they need)