What's new

Untame My Heartline - Part 2: Toverland

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I didn’t do the live, but it seemed like a good lineup for a weekend. Of course I had to make the itinerary a little more hectic, cos that’s how I roll. Results may vary.

Did another stupidly early start for the chunnel in order to get here for opening. Which worked perfectly.
And that was the end of the success.

Day 1 – Bobbejaanland: The Revenge

48860579041_c3efbef62f_k.jpg

I had beef with Bobbejaanland. Came here a few years ago on a busy summers day, on which they decided to reduce their opening hours on the spot and then close queues up to an hour sooner than those newly stated opening hours, leaving it to be one of the few parks, perhaps only, that I simply didn’t complete in time.
The rides that I did do, sucked, hard.

48860862477_869a822955_k.jpg

But this new one looks quite nice.

So I was with the masses heading to Fury as the gates opened, got to the entrance in amongst the first 10 people.
To then stand there for an hour, as for some unadvertised reason they didn’t open it or Typhoon until 11. Felt like a bit of a waste of an early start. Queuing an hour to beat the queue.

They’ve changed the quirky voting on forwards or backwards system from the original so that there’s a split in the station for 'I definitely want forwards' or 'I want to vote'.
I was dead set on getting a backwards ride on my first lap, as I believed it would offer the best experience when totally unexpected, not knowing the layout or what it had to offer.
Didn’t look like it was going to work out as I was the only one in my row to push backwards, but it hit the turntable and turned left. Yes! I punched the air. No reaction from anyone else sadly.

48860217858_776371a331_k.jpg

That launch is pretty punchy isn’t it.
Have to say the ride wasn’t quite what I wanted out of it. I’m on a bit of a high with my Infinities at the moment and this just wasn’t delivering on the same level of interesting sensations.
Backwards was a lot of fun, quite disorientating, but lacked anything really standout or substantial. It just feels like even a single strong kick of airtime somewhere would have given it the edge to go from good to great. Failing that, the final spike could have done something crazy like Mystic to end the ride on a high instead of just being a bit of a vibe killer.

48860176948_6b1e70ce32_k.jpg

I do like what they’ve done with the new area. Typhoon doesn’t deserve to be a legend even with a lick of blue paint, but at least it doesn't look like a fairground ride any more and it’s a nice idea to have the circular hub with several ride entrances coming off it.

While I was waiting for that to open, the park had had a chance to fill up a bit, meaning Naga Bay had a bit of a queue. I did it as Dizz and it was weak, so skipped it.

48860127623_6c301793b1_k.jpg

Got as far as the stairs on Revolution last time around before a ton of guests came spilling out of the queue saying it had closed and making Xs with their arms. This time we walked straight on, past all the VR faff and got to admire the world’s longest train.
It’s a silly thing but quite funny. Massive indoor spiral lift that leaves you thinking where’s the actual ride section? Then it slithers through a gap at the top and you do several drops and 100 left turns through a narrow outer shell while strobes go off and make it seem really fast.

48860594216_cb01ce9588_k.jpg

Speedy Bob was another ride that got closed in our face half an hour early last time. They were running it alright today and it rode butter smooth, almost unnervingly so.
Park complete. Only took 3 years.

Walked past Dreamcatcher. Don’t need that in my life again, let alone with VR added.

48860620076_ef341540d4_k.jpg

Gave Oki Doki (formerly Belgium’s best rollercoaster) a token lap. Good little drop and a refreshing layout.

48860794797_d3ff76413b_k.jpg

Did El Paso Special/Bench the Ride(?) There’s several bench rides I’ve done now and I don’t know one is THE one.
The guns were potentially the most responsive things ever, which was impressive. Scenery was dated but amusing. Lots of donkeys, no hats.

48860144068_338c2fefc9_k.jpg

Also gave Bob Express a token lap. Had a couple more weirdly shaped bits and random kicks to it than I remember. It could have done alright in my extensive rank the mine train list, if only it tried a bit harder to be one.

48860606411_c4d9de8844_k.jpg

So dogs are allowed on?

48860614736_b760e96c7f_k.jpg

Did a forwards Fury. Pretty much felt the same about it.
Tried for another backwards on the last go, but the system screwed me. Had a whole row of people pushing backwards this time, then it turned right. Aww.
Think it’s a bit of a cop out that they changed it to be honest, though I am personally glad I didn’t have to stay any longer just to beat the odds and get a taste of each direction if everyone was being fussy about it.

Revenge over.
The car park is dumb and has no way to flow out so you have to do an amazing reverse while people are still trying to come in for the day. Still don’t really like this place. Next?

Walibi was the next stop, and should have been a 2 hour drive.
It actually took over 4 hours because they had decided to close an entire motorway, terrible detours occurred, then there was an accident, more terrible detours occurred. It was horrible. I felt every second of it eating into my riding time.

Walibi Holland

The mood didn't lighten as I hit the roundabout at the entrance, Lost Gravity theme blaring from my speakers to try and get me in the mood. Temporary yellow signs were up directing everyone to park in a field opposite, rather than the usual car park. The detour to get to this field went on far too long, on several unpleasant surfaces. I do resent when I've been charged for the privilege of parking on grass/mud.

An ugly temporary bridge was set up over the road and all the entrance plaza was all funnelled by a long series of 8ft high crowd control barriers, which also looked terrible.

Things didn't improve inside as cutting through the first indoor bit was like walking into a nightclub. This place used to have a certain charm to it, but they seem to have embraced the Thorpe Park youth vibe that no one actually wants.

Don't remember that top spin looking that ugly, Merlin's castle looks dumb and what the hell is this new area?

48860686081_f0d7d1219f_k.jpg

Oh yeah, that.
Here comes RMC number 10.

48860864942_3d71731635_k.jpg

I was very happy to see it, but the mood still didn't lighten as i joined the single rider queue. The water feature out of the middle of the station leaks all over the floor and you have to wade across to the stairs. As soon as I settle, 3 blokes join behind me and instantly start smoking directly into my face. This was the trend in pretty much every queue, all night. Ugh.

48860185533_00779ef05a_k.jpg

This may end up sounding a bit negative (what, like the rest of the day so far?), but obviously it's RMC and it's still easily one of best things out there. The top 25 will shortly be adjusted to acknowledge this.
I don't know whether I should do this one as a blow by blow description or just some overall thoughts. Normally I save the former for something I really fall for and this one just didn't quite resonate with me.
So let's put the picky hat on, because I expect perfection from these things nowadays.

48860703706_cf9d9e3c23_k.jpg

It has noticeably weak moments and sections:
The first drop and speed hill are weak, compared to others.
I don't really dig the first inversion thing. It's different yes, but it doesn't really do anything to the rider. It just happens around you.
Each of the turnaround sections just aren't particularly exciting, this inversion is meh and that sideways thing only really works if you're in the front of the train to get a bit of a kick into it.

What I love is basically the whole second half:
The triple humpy bit that just keeps on giving.
The insane hill section through the structure where everything is well disguised.
The crazy sharp S-bend slither into my favourite of the inversions, which also somehow manages to give you air coming out of it.

A mixed bag overall then. Some stuff I love in there, but many bits that just don't flow well or keep the standard at top level throughout. It never truly kicked my ass with intensity at any particular point and it never gave me that life-affirming moment of contemplation on the brakerun, though I can appreciate that it's a mighty fine ride.

48860651876_00059aabcd_k.jpg

Talking of mighty fine rides. Ahhhhhhh.
For some reason I kept doubting myself on how good I thought this thing was when it opened.
But no, I am right, it's stupidly fun.
The first drop and speed hill combo is miles better than Untamed, the middle section is really quirky and enjoyable and then there's a couple more hills at the end that just shouldn't be that strong. Also flamethrowers.
Love it.

48860196748_5a47f70963_k.jpg

Goliath is the only other thing I did and it just don't hold up no more.
It's like a refined version of that stupid Superman one - 90% corners but at least the airtime actually works consistently. Entertaining, but had its day.

I had to pass through 3 scare zones when bouncing between these rides.
I'm no Halloween expert, but here's my thoughts anyway:

The tree one by Untamed - A combination of moss monsters with rattles and people dressed like Valka in HTTYD2. Mostly an inconvenience because everyone just stands still in the middle of it with their phones out filming.
Villains(?) - Some villainous looking people and a small stage where they could stand and creep on people. Mostly an inconvenience because everyone just stands still in the middle of it with their phones out filming.
The pirate one - Quite liked it. Some nice purple mood lighting, good spooky pirate music and lots of bubbles filled with smoke floating around. People dressed like pirates, walking like zombies.

But I wasn't there for that stuff, I was there for Untamed - night rides in particular. That bit in the structure is completely in the dark, disorientating and amazing.
Had a few laps with a few painful queues. The single rider never worked very well even though they had broken 1 seat on the back of one of the trains which you would think would help.
Some questionable operations occured - a group of about 9 people started kicking off because they had split from 2 friends who were in the single rider queue and had actually beaten them to the station.
The proper response? The system doesn't guarantee a shorter queue mate.
The actual response? You make a good point, let 'em through lads.
When it came to closing the queue, a couple of people that had just managed to make it inside before the staff could chain off the entrance were actually chased down and kicked out - seemed a bit off/Phantasialand-esque.

So I got what I wanted out of the day, just not in ideal circumstances and Walibi as a park took a massive blow for me.

And that was before the car park happened.
I was kinda expecting it, as getting in was such a faff, but as I cleared the bridge on the way out, hell on earth came into view. A million cars in mud at all angles all trying to merge with each other and leave, completely unable to go anywhere. Horns were going off constantly like a New York traffic jam with everyone shouting and being aggressive.

Luckily, being a late arriver, I was in the left third of the field which is split by 2 routes coming out.
The middle and right thirds were the ones converging, so getting as far as the tarmac was comparatively easy for me. From there it was a slow crawl of at least an hour along the winding back path and out onto the main road.
There's gotta be a better way to end the day.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
The second day was much more chill and I (temporarily) rediscovered my appreciation for taking it easy on parks. I had some vague plans of picking up a few +1s but the previous day had temporarily put me off that stuff. That and it was raining heavily all day.

Day 2 - Toverland

So this place suddenly got lovely.
I wasn't particularly into it last time, entering through a warehouse and not being overly enthralled by any of the rides.

48870878413_57db2871a6_k.jpg

The new entrance area looks great (not that these wet pictures taken from under an umbrella will do it justice) and the first few minutes of walking down the path with the new land on the left felt 100 times more like a theme park and shows they're putting a lot of effort in.

Only really needed the new land so headed straight there first, to be told that both Fenix and Merlin's Quest were temporarily unavailable. Oh.
Then they looked a bit ashamed and said Dwervelwind was also down. We recommend you start indoors.

48871370706_1b74224f12_k.jpg

And that we did. Starting on the world's nicest looking Bobkart vehicles. Forgot how good the queue was on this thing. It also seemed to be holding back less on the speed than last time, which had bothered me a bit. Perhaps because it was much quieter.

48871569742_a8301adf85_k.jpg

Token lap of Toos Express, foolishly in the front row where the on-ride bell deafens you on every janky corner.

48870851428_307e2cd37c_k.jpg

Don't remember this being a thing before. There's a little house and garden to explore, for which you borrow a magic wand that you can point at sensors and set off effects. Great idea for a low key park.

Had a bit more of a mooch round the inside area until I noticed Fenix cresting the lift through a window. Don't let that bird spite me.

I've gotta start with praising the queue for this thing. It's absolutely gorgeous. I hadn't really looked into anything about this ride so it completely caught me off guard, particularly for this park. They clearly mean serious business now.
A dimly lit corridor that gives you that wonderful atmosphere change as soon as you step foot inside it. Dangerously narrow stairs take you down to a room with talking portraits telling tales and setting the scene.
I really liked these other magical paintings that had very subtle screen effects bringing them to life.
The park was absolutely dead because of the weather so I had the entire queueline to myself and quite easily got lost in there for a long time exploring every detail. There's a passing preshow section with projections and an animatronic before you come to the usual left or right split.

48871435506_1ae8f11ac0_k.jpg

There is actually a rollercoaster at the end of all that and again the little pre-lift scene caught me off guard. Come closer. You will not escape.

48871389136_838b8dec58_k.jpg

I really liked it overall. The 90 degree turn at the top isn't as ugly as i'd imagined in person and gives you a bit of steam with which to enter the inverted drop, that then feels less sluggish than usual, particularly in the back when you get dragged into it.
The bigger hill works very well. I was in defensive mode from the rain with my hood up but it would get ripped off every single time as I went flying over it. Something about the shape of the track and the landscape around as well, feels like you're taking a huge jump feet first.
The helices are forceful and bouncy, which I've grown to appreciate more on these cos it just means they're doing more.
Love the double crossing of the water and the whole aesthetic of it. Only real complaint is that it feels a bit short. Definitely bonded with the ride while it tried to destroy me with the weather over many laps.

48871591692_4dfae5edc8_k.jpg

Over in the boathouse on the far side is the start of Merlin's Quest. It has a little scene up above the station with a good statement - 'Never trust a water dwarf'.
It's a bit of a slow drag in the boat back over to underneath Fenix, though admittedly amongst nice surroundings.
The indoor section is very well done with some good visuals and potentially the best smell on any ride in the foresty bit. Again that ends a bit too soon and you spend a lot more of your time drifting all the way back again.

The rest of the day was spent nabbing a few laps of the bigger coasters and dodging the heavier downpours by relaxing in the nice indoor area.

Troy is mostly as I remember. A lot of fun, just not a huge amount going on. Even though I had the added bonus of being waterboarded and completely unable to see, it didn't chuck me around a lot or do anything particularly unexpected. It was running weirdly smoothly and quietly too.

Dutch Twist was also an experience if only for not being able to see. I finally know what it's like to ride like the Chinese with your head awkwardly bowed at all times. Not comfortable.
On board sound is a plus of course, but I think French Dwervelwind rides better.

Didn't do the Bike as I don't really like them and it would have been deeply unpleasant.

Great day overall, much more enjoyable than the previous. Toverland took a massive leap in my books, I completed the legendary set of all B&Ms in Europe and had some great ride experiences too. I look forward to their future.

Not much to report on the way back home. Chunnel seems to run all too smoothly these days. Feels like it's building to something terrible.

The end.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Great reports. Love to hear a different (and well argumented) opinion on Untamed. It was understandably hyped as the first RMC I-Box on the Old Continent. But RMC raised the standard so much nowadays there could well be much better coasters yet ahead. (Goliath </3)

"Dutch Twist" and "French Dwervelwind", see what you did there..

Nice job getting all European B&Ms!