What's new

The TV we watch...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They all run to a very similar formula though. Jessica Jones a little different, but mostly fits
First three or four episodes = finding a "friendly face" to fight against "the bad guy".
Episodes 3-8 = either the hero or the friend almost dies as they find out the bad guy isn't the BIG bad guy.
Episodes 6-10 = wandering about trying to make up some story to get it to 13 episodes.
Episode 7-11 = betrayal and forgiveness of somebody who should be a friend. Sometimes a death of an "enigmatic" side character (Obi-Wan-Kenobi syndrome)
Episode 10-end = secret plan to coax the big baddy out and desperate fight against the odds. Plan goes awry, hero overcomes anyway while discovering a deep secret that will lead them to the story of the next season.

Luke Cage was such a shame though. The tone, style and writing of the first few episodes was fantastic and I loved Cotton Mouth as a villain. I thought it was classy, intriguing, tense and just really well done. Then it all fell apart really rapidly.

The Punisher (which was massively in the formula) was probably my favourite though. It was gritty, stupidly macho-packed, complete bollocks. Good entertainment and didn't try to really be much else. I did love Tennant in Jessica Jones though. Second season is more like Iron Fist, sadly.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Finished Agents of Shield Season 4 today and wow what a great show have loved the first 3 seasons and this season has gone above and beyond and been ever more fantastic Ghost Rider was great and the villains were great. Have the 5th season to watch but I'll watch that after I've seen some of the other stuff.

I've started Iron Fist wish me luck.

peep

CF Legend
Santa Clarita Diet. I enjoyed the first season, it was fun but slightly forgettable. However season 2 is amazing, thought the comedy worked a lot better and I loved the World building.

peep

CF Legend
Binged Lost in Space over the weekend. I really liked it, there were some incredibly intense scenes where you really weren't sure if certain characters would survive the situation. It gets ever so slightly repetitive in that they seem remarkably great at getting themselves into situations where they might perish. I've seen quite a lot of comments online about the dialogue being bad but for me it was fine, there were a few moments where it isn't great but overall the story and everything else carries it. I'll be quite happy if the second season happens as they left it on an interesting note. Oh, also the score was pretty great throughout.

Snoo

The Legend
The Looming Tower.. great series. The finale comes out on Wednesday. Can't wait for it. It's on Hulu.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Just finished the second season of Arrested Development. It has a great storyline and plenty of fun side stories. Quality stuff. I hear the later seasons aren't as great but I'm interested to see how it goes. First two seasons are great so I definitely recommend it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No love for the new series of a series of unfortunate events? Watched the first couple of episodes and it's still great.

So fed up with the DC universe series. Supergirl is dire, Arrow is three series overdue for being cancelled and Legends of Tomorrow is pure pants. At least LoT knows it's pants and revels in it. All the shows are just rehashing each other's stories now too (apart from Arrow which is rehashing its own stories). But what about The Flash? I don't hear you ask. It's been off and on pretty awful. This season is still basically awful, but it's become welcomingly cheesy and comedic. They must have new writers in to lighten the show and it's had some really fun episodes this season. It's still same ****, different episode, but at least it's got some good one liners spread through the show to make it bearable.

Gotham... OMG. Series 3 was abysmal, really, really awful. Season 4 actually kicked off well and started to build things. It seems like they're finally getting the hang of the world and stuff. Then it's been back to the grind and a load of bobbins again.

Agents of Shield has been oddly good. It's been dying for a couple of series, but the latest one is actually more interesting. Well beyond the standard fayre they've been doing. It's still not great, but it's watchable.

All these series longer than 20 episodes per season are doomed because they don't have enough story or talent to make series so long. They'd be better with 12 intense episodes.

Any Legion fans in? Best superhero show on at them moment. The new season started off just as brilliantly mad as the last one ended. It's a great modern take on something like The Prisoner - not sure if it's too overly pretentious, but it seems like they're having fun with it rather than it being series. I love it.

And no mention of the best show on TV at all - Ash Vs The Evil Dead. Back for a third season of slapstick blood letting. So much fun, so stupid, so disgusting, so much Bruce Campbell. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant entertainment.

Oooooh, Westworld is back next week - could be interesting.

Oh, and as a footnote TWD. Still watching, still wondering "why?" every episode.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I didn't realise Unfortunate Events was back yet. On it since I loved the first series.

Finally bailed on Walking Dead about 5 episodes back. Life's too f**king short to be consistently bored.

Totally agreed on the stupidly long, 22/23 episode American shows. I'm yet to watch one that has been consistently good through the whole 22 episodes. Add in a 2nd, 3rd, 4th series and they always, without fail, get run into the ground.

Some stuff I've watched / been watching recently:

Billions - Only watched the 1st series so far, but enjoyed it.

Genius - About halfway through. Unsure of it. Some excellent casting, some horrendously dodgy accents, but a bit simplistic in that the script is written for idiots to be able to follow.

Broken - Typical "gritty" British drama which is very good but really bloody depressing.

The Goldbergs - Onto the second series. Not brilliant, but the cast are great and it definitely has its moments. Good time filler to dip into now and then.

Olive Kitteridge - Brilliant.

Back - Very, very funny, but if you (understandably) find Mitchell and Webb annoying, you won't like it.

peep

CF Legend
I gave up on Flash ages ago, I gave Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow a chance but was bored by the end of the first episode of each so didn't continue wasting me time with them.

I kinda liked Gotham Season 3, I look forward to season 4 coming to Netflix so I can watch through it fairly quickly.

Unfortunate Events season 2 is amazing, very excited for the third season (which I think they filmed at the same time as the second one?). I never finished the book series so I have no idea where it'll go next.

Billions, I feel like I should watch this as I think the two lead actors are amazing. Maybe I'll check it out.

I'm still watching Designated Survivor and I don't know why, it's absolutely awful. It started with an interesting premise but towards the end of the first season it dive bombed into beyond-corny territory and it keeps barrelling further down the rabbit hole of insufferable characters and dialogue.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
The Walking Dead has gotten ridiculously bad, I stuck it out to the end of this season but i'm calling it quits now. I don't really see where they can take it from here without repeating the same formula over and over again. I don't follow the comics but i'd have been quite content if last night's episode has been the finale of the whole thing
They should have killed Negan though.

I've also recently binged Riverdale and its awful but it's the teen drama i've needed in my life since The Vampire Diaries finished aha.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I gave up on Walking Dead a few months ago. I tried the first few episodes of season 7 but it didn't hook me like it used to. It had been over a year since I finished season 6 so I've just lost interest.

I did read some of the graphic novels over the past couple of years. Thought they were enjoyable. Much darker than the show.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The Walking Dead has gotten ridiculously bad, I stuck it out to the end of this season but i'm calling it quits now. I don't really see where they can take it from here without repeating the same formula over and over again. I don't follow the comics but i'd have been quite content if last night's episode has been the finale of the whole thing

That's the problem with seasonal TV shows, I guess. When every season is written, they usually don't know if the series will be renewed for another season. So they have to write every season as if it were the last one, with a finale neatly wrapping up the important things, just in case no more seasons will be funded.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Been watching a couple of Netflix shows....

The Dragon Prince. If anyone enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender, chances are you'll like this, as one of the show's creators was the head-writer for Avatar. It's essentially animated Game of Thrones, though obviously much more family friendly. It uses a pretty interesting animation style, going with cell-shaded CGI to give a classic 2D appearance. It's a little choppy sometimes but it's quite colorful with some pretty landscapes, and there's some really excellent music pieces. The first season is pretty short and mainly spends time on world building and getting to know the characters, but there's a lot of potential here. I'd say if you have any interest it's definitely worth checking out, especially since there's only nine 25 minute episodes.

American Vandal. Don't know how I only learned about this show last week, but it's ****ing brilliant. It's a mockumentary that tackles that most absurd cases, and the writing and direction is very well done. I'm only halfway through the first season, but I've had several laugh out loud moments in each episode. Can't recommend this highly enough.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Been watching a couple of Netflix shows....

American Vandal. Don't know how I only learned about this show last week, but it's :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing brilliant. It's a mockumentary that tackles that most absurd cases, and the writing and direction is very well done. I'm only halfway through the first season, but I've had several laugh out loud moments in each episode. Can't recommend this highly enough.

SSSSSSSHHHHHHH Dick
SSSSSSSHHHHHHH Dick
SSSSSSSHHHHHHH Dick
SSSSSSSHHHHHHH Dick

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I don't watch too much TV, but there are two shows I really enjoy:

-Gravity Falls: It's over now, only 2 seasons long, but it was a masterpiece. Amazing story, great characters, super self-conscious and meta. Highly recommended to everyone.

-Star vs. the Forces of Evil: It's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. There are flaws I won't ignore, but the show is just so lovely. It deals with a few mature topics in a PG-setting, which I feel they do extremely well. Also has one of my favorite villains of all time.

I am looking to get on Adventure Time and Steven Universe, and maybe a few other things like it. I don't know. I like cartoons. <3

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Here’s some of the TV I’ve been watching lately (a few of which would probably be considered ‘old’ now):

Lost - Finally got around to binge-watching this - it’s amazing! Very well planned-out and increasingly compelling for such a long series. Just started season 5 and I love how complex it’s getting.

30 Rock - Fab comedy starring Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin. Well, so far it’s impressed me, but I am only on season 2 and there’s 7 seasons I think. Hope it can be as consistently humorous all the way through.

Desperate Housewives - Just looooool. Very well-written soapy drama/comedy. It’s not gonna knock your socks off but it’s entertaining and surprisingly dark sometimes.

Ray Donovan - I usually can’t tell whether this show is actually “good” overall but it’s very bold and the titular character is actually brilliant. Season 5 hasn’t been great apart from one storyline which seems to have finished now, but previous seasons were better.

Goliath - Pretty solid legal drama starring Billy Bob Thornton. Season 1 had some great characters and was pretty tense overall. Season 2 didn’t capture my interest as early on but seems to be on a better track now.

KJ7500

Roller Poster
Here’s some of the TV I’ve been watching lately (a few of which would probably be considered ‘old’ now):

Lost - Finally got around to binge-watching this - it’s amazing! Very well planned-out and increasingly compelling for such a long series. Just started season 5 and I love how complex it’s getting.

30 Rock - Fab comedy starring Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin. Well, so far it’s impressed me, but I am only on season 2 and there’s 7 seasons I think. Hope it can be as consistently humorous all the way through.

Desperate Housewives - Just looooool. Very well-written soapy drama/comedy. It’s not gonna knock your socks off but it’s entertaining and surprisingly dark sometimes.

Ray Donovan - I usually can’t tell whether this show is actually “good” overall but it’s very bold and the titular character is actually brilliant. Season 5 hasn’t been great apart from one storyline which seems to have finished now, but previous seasons were better.

Goliath - Pretty solid legal drama starring Billy Bob Thornton. Season 1 had some great characters and was pretty tense overall. Season 2 didn’t capture my interest as early on but seems to be on a better track now.
Lost was amazing but I felt really let down by season 6.

peep

CF Legend
Bodyguard - Finally finished this last night. I thought it was a great show if a little silly at times and sometimes the reaction by police offers didn't make much sense. Still there's plenty of very intense scenes and overall it was very entertaining. I think Line of Duty (same writer) is better and I eagerly await the new series.