What's new

Did B&M have any involvement in Shockwave at Drayton Manor?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if this has already been asked or if I'm clogging up this section of the forum (D'oh, I did it again!), but I just wanted to ask; were B&M involved with Shockwave at Drayton Manor, out of interest? Only asking because I always thought that they did not have any involvement whatsoever, with the only remote link to them being that Intamin subcontracted the project to Giovanola; B&M's former employers. By the time Shockwave was being designed, I would have presumed that Walter and Claude had already left Giovanola and started B&M.

However, I often hear people refer to Shockwave as "a collaboration between B&M and Intamin". Is this merely because of the track, or did B&M have any other involvement in Shockwave? Does anybody know?

costar

Mega Poster
I think you’re basically right. But you mention the design was when “Walter and Claude had already ... started B&M” but don’t forget the other Shockwave (SFMM) and the Swedish one which were both several years earlier and may(?) have had more input from W & C. I would guess Intamin used a lot of the design from these 80’s coasters for the Drayton one. But I think a “collaboration” is misleading. I don’t feel like Intamin & B&M are best mates...