What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Is the difference between Helix's morning and afternoon rides less pronounced now then? Glad to hear it's hauling later in the day, slightly disappointed for the park that it was so quiet though. I know it was raining but I really hope it turns out to be the hit with the public they need it to be.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Is the difference between Helix's morning and afternoon rides less pronounced now then? Glad to hear it's hauling later in the day, slightly disappointed for the park that it was so quiet though. I know it was raining but I really hope it turns out to be the hit with the public they need it to be.
It was a school day in May, it was blatantly obvious from the beginning this was more of a soft launch before the bank holiday weekend.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

ThrillX_the_Xplorer

Roller Poster
Putting the ride to one side and reflecting on my visit to the store, I believe BPB have missed an opportunity with the merch by not focusing more on the gold train design. For me, this is one of Icon's truly defining features, yet I don't recall seeing anything to buy with it on that really stood out? No mugs, t-shirts, badges, etc. I mean, one of those train model things would have been awesome!

Lofty

CF Legend
Yes, the difference in a day/night ride on Helix is pretty astronomical. The first time I rode it was around 1.30pm (I think) and left just saying "Oh, ok?" and the people that had rode it before replied with "Just wait for tonight", so it does show how much of a difference a coaster can make after a few hours to be honest. Also, see Taron, it's exactly the same.

Most of the park's guests loved it from what I saw, they were laughing, screaming and running back around to the entrance to ride it again, it truly was great to see. What I will say is how much difference the 130cm limit gives you, so many younger guests were riding it and loving it, it was great to see some younger guests getting that adrenaline hit from a 'big' coaster, I truly believe it is going to work wonders for the park.

rctneil

Roller Poster
I rode a number of times yesterday and it definitely needs time to warm up. The morning rides vs the afternoon rides are so far apart in experience. I would say that this is not an intense/thrill coaster but what it has in bucketloads is just how much fun it is. It's not a world beater but it is a superb fun ride. Everyone came back to the station smiling and laughing and that's fantastic to see. Icon also has a superb soundtrack that sounds amazing booming around in the confines of the station.

I really really hope it does well for the Pleasure Beach and i'm sure it will.

mouse

Giga Poster
There seem to be varying opinions on this, I don't know what to believe! I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but until then I look forward to hearing more diverse opinions posted here. Perhaps when more members add their input we will get more of an accurate picture of what to expect, then the big question can finally be answered - just when will this topic be unpinned?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
For those who don't know, this is what wisteria looks like:-
Wisteria_at_the_Vyne.jpg

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I seem to recall Helix had the same issue. When I went to the Gothenburg CF live in 2014, I arrived sometime around noon after the entire group had already ridden Helix and found it "all right". Later in the day, around four I believe, most of the group went to experience the haunted house, while myself and two others decided to go ride Helix. Expectations weren't that high among the other two, who had ridden it earlier and found a re-ride slightly preferable to the upcharge and long lines of the haunted house. I only had that one ride to go off of, and was blown away. It was clear that the others felt a definite improvement as well. I had to leave shortly after for the train back to Oslo, but after the other CFers had ridden Helix in the evening, trip reports suddenly called it the best coaster in the park and then some. It seems like warming up can do a world of difference.

Yeah, I remember that. Helix was OK first thing, decidedly better by that afternoon ride, and then amazing at night.

Is the difference between Helix's morning and afternoon rides less pronounced now then?

It's interesting how Helix has changed over time. When I went back in 2016, the park opened early afternoon. By mid afternoon, Helix was running incredibly well, and I never had a bad ride on it that day. Obviously an anecdote isn't necessarily indicative of a trend, but it was definitely better from the off than I remembered it. If Icon behaves similarly, I'm all for it.

See this having to wait for a coaster to warm up before it's good is just awful, how will it perform in winter, its been 24 degrees lately.
I understand the whole science of it, but it can't be a mediocre ride in the morning, then the best in the UK in the afternoon!

I need to ride it a second time, I just realy wasn't blown away during my first ride, and it annoys me I can't feel the same way everyone else does
How our opinion of rides changes as the ride warms up is certainly interesting. I suppose it's going to take a while for us to get a feel for how it runs at different times and under different circumstances.

I can't say I'm particularly enthused by rides that just don't deliver unless conditions are exceptionally good, but as long as the base ride experience is at least good, I don't mind if it takes the ride a little while to reach its full potential. I was a little concerned, but I'm relieved to hear some more positive reviews on the ride starting to come through now.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I haven't ridden Icon yet (missed the opening by ~14 hours due to a planning screw up) but it sounds like Taron in the need for it to warm up. On my last trip to Phantasialand I was on maybe the 4th or 5th train of the day for Taron. To say it was slow was an understatement, Raik was more intense. RAIK! I gave it a few hours then it was back to it's old, blistering, bonkers self. I assumed the warming up thing was only for Intamins but by the sounds of it Mack LSM coasters also suffer from it.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
How tf have you manged 41 rides over 3 days? I struggled getting 10 today! I need to ride Shambhala again though, to be sure of my rankings.

3 rides before it opened to the public, 19 rides on opening day, then numerous rides over Saturday and today.

By half 6 the ride was running ridiculously well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandgrown

Mega Poster
After 41 rides on Icon I can firmly say I’ve got a new No.1 coaster. After 6 years Shambhala has finally been beaten.

Wow. This thread has been something of a rollercoaster this week (cue applause). So it IS really that good as long as it gets going? That cheers me up. August 18th I'll be home for a sesh. I'm sneaking in some Dulux white gloss to do some illegal repainting of the Rollercoaster, and maybe just helping out with the National and Big Dipper.

Matt N

CF Legend
Glad to hear you liked it @owentaylor121! Out of interest, what did you think to Icon @ATI? These positive reviews are definitely instilling faith in me that this might be my top UK coaster or that it might even top Mako as my overall number 1. Who can say until August, though? Even if it isn't either of these things, however, then I'm sure it will be a fantastic ride that I'll really like!