dKyMRy9.jpg

cJLJy5X.jpg

pv05FEc.jpg

pl6mQTQ.jpg

HmyKwYg.jpg

j13URRz.jpg

ybU3UDV.jpg

JliyuHV.jpg

Did a jetboat thing. Pretty expensive, but it was a decent length of time and followed two different rivers that feed into the lake. Left my bag, camera, phone in their office though.

BSntRpu.jpg

Took a cable up to the top of one of the mountains.

JkicUXb.jpg

R4aPZ5G.jpg

nlsoREC.jpg

q51z5kT.jpg

Xv1iIMo.jpg

OY9MRSF.jpg

vJMXQyn.jpg

They had this luge thing which was fab. I bought a package for the cable car and three rides on the luge. They’d had one in Rotorua also, but I’d skipped it, knowing that there was one here, too.

There are two tracks. You have to do the easier one for your first ride, but even that one was fun. The more difficult one was very cool: lots of tight turns and a few decent drops.

U6EvKcj.jpg

UQpYZGx.jpg

CabLgkG.jpg

co7NaUc.jpg

lvQe5Ed.jpg

0U9UcGL.jpg

5fhQmeo.jpg

C5bIcw5.jpg

xQQ71Uc.jpg

iWU4erv.jpg

TBPP2hd.jpg

O4GdFzS.jpg

Not my video:

More of the view:

QsUDTwu.jpg

u7L3iln.jpg

5M0MV9z.jpg

8U934IK.jpg

ksr3jGC.jpg

fz2uTSH.jpg

YJSQBhv.jpg

cpq6I1j.jpg

And back to the hotel:

SKjR9Ka.jpg

iGqlJ3a.jpg

pVh2DmY.jpg

I haven’t written much since the pictures sort of say it all, but I LOVED Queenstown. The town itself is only small, but the location is stunning and there’s loads to do. I only did the jetboat, cable car and luge, but there were a bunch of other boat trips, bungee jumping, skydiving, parasailing etc., so there’s easily enough to fill a few days, but it could get very, very expensive if you tried to do it all.

Day 14 – Milford Sound

I had another night in Queenstown, but had booked myself on a trip out to Milford Sound. It’s pretty far away, but the drive out there was stunning. As we got closer, it started absolutely pissing down though. We had a couple of stop offs on the way to look at s**t.

opX6bGv.jpg

A8W7GY9.jpg

ti2licD.jpg

EGLMNuX.jpg

Ijfz7kI.jpg

9mPvZWT.jpg

U2NFdPW.jpg

iTzu8nC.jpg

The sense of scale is really lost in most of these pictures, but everything was just absolutely enormous. Also, because it was pissing down, I gave up trying to use my proper camera since it was impossible to keep water off the lens, and mostly just used my phone.

u4GpTKP.jpg

j7C5AAh.jpg

eoZd9Gm.jpg

While the rain was annoying, it meant that the scenery was loads better because of all the temporary waterfalls everywhere.

Once we hit Milford Sound, it was onto a boat. Pissing down, blowing a gale, soaked to the skin (most people just sat inside and looked out of the windows – why?), but amazing. Apart from a couple of big waterfalls, none of these would have been happening without the rain, and the bigger falls were obviously loads bigger than they would’ve been.

UmxDrkG.jpg

3XPxgBr.jpg

aRb28iK.jpg

JZsI03c.jpg

F0OmUcd.jpg

T8xekR7.jpg

TwJKylW.jpg

NHwSi2n.jpg

6902oj8.jpg

plzJpf0.jpg

WGjbooA.jpg

iuOs1pB.jpg

k6Z4vY9.jpg

htaR0Xm.jpg

TtbCoPd.jpg

2cuVV7X.jpg

uQNiseS.jpg

JzXXCmY.jpg

8f2H1kt.jpg

94ikNGz.jpg

dzwXCK6.jpg

GYyxEq8.jpg

I4hXik8.jpg

AOONIBV.jpg

OASwhG6.jpg

It was all a bit Jurassic Park and it was amazing. I’d had a couple of friends tell me that if you’ve seen a bunch of NZ scenery already, then Milford Sound isn’t worth the effort, but they’d done it on dry days, so it was nowhere near as dramatic.

hccRnjB.jpg

q1lytEY.jpg

IPceRO1.jpg

FjT5JSk.jpg

Sjt3pvg.jpg

BIrKV4K.jpg

y6Djh2m.jpg

83XDc2R.jpg

HxGVeFG.jpg

fUFdzd3.jpg

II0DmbH.jpg

4z5a729.jpg

upTcTu6.jpg

tFrfBvH.jpg

7LEgpjO.jpg

A long day, piss-wet through for the whole journey back to Queenstown, but totally worth it.

CREDZ next.

mouse

Giga Poster
Thoroughly enjoying this report so far, cheers! Some amazing and surreal scenery there, particularly like those temporary waterfalls and the statues dotted about everywhere.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Eurgh, trying to make big impressive scenery look good on a phone camera always ends badly. Still, if your phone photos are that impressive, I feel like this is somewhere to try out. Note to self, rain = good.

Looking forward to the rest of this!

davidm

Strata Poster
I did the luge in Rotorua (many years ago) ; it was good (got air, flew off the thing, crash) but from my sketchy memory of it, the Queenstown one looks bigger/more extensive. Was the same sort of deal though; cable-car + three trips down the tracks - don't recall it being as busy as that one looked tho' pretty sure no-one was there to witness my wipeout :)

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
We did the Milford Sound overnight cruise on our second visit to NZ in 2015, with very similar weather conditions. Apparently it rains there over 200 days a year or something like that! Definitely makes for more spectacular waterfalls though.

Please tell me you didn't miss Fergburger in Queenstown? Best burgers ever! :D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Overrated. I caught it at a relatively quiet time so only waited 20 minutes. It was good. It's still a burger though.
We did the Milford Sound overnight cruise on our second visit to NZ in 2015, with very similar weather conditions. Apparently it rains there over 200 days a year or something like that! Definitely makes for more spectacular waterfalls though.

Please tell me you didn't miss Fergburger in Queenstown? Best burgers ever! :D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Right, let’s get this f**ker finished then. Finally a park.

Day 15 – Rainbow’s End

I had a flight back to Hong Kong from Auckland really early in the morning, so flew back up there from Queenstown the day before, staying in a hotel near the airport since I’d already done the city itself. This was also near Rainbow’s End, New Zealand’s only proper park, so I called in there for the afternoon. I got an Uber to maximize my time, but I could’ve/should've taken slightly longer and got a bus from right outside the hotel to the park. Cred anxiety though.

RYx4RXH.jpg

UF9Z5xC.jpg

0xVKuWX.jpg

1sN7W3B.jpg

rinYt7H.jpg

EllIQQj.jpg

Ocz2y9X.jpg

pRyk6EP.jpg

Despite it being a Saturday, it wasn’t very busy at all. There were enough people around to create a bit of a buzz, but no queues for anything really. I did the drop tower a couple of times. Standard, but I like this model.

C3NEPuQ.jpg

First cred:

70in5G1.jpg

unIswYv.jpg

VHXfO6v.jpg

Yay.

Did the log flume since I realised very quickly that I wouldn’t need a lot of time here to knock stuff off. It was alright really; decent theming and an ok drop with no splash at all, which I was fine with.

fN2ITY6.jpg

26IN4tO.jpg

nbTFxMl.jpg

fIR6Hoq.jpg

7tdify1.jpg

The log flume also interacts with the second coaster I did, Gold Rush. This is an in-house coaster which is mostly a dark ride with a coaster bit at the end. It was cute really, and the dark ride section was pretty impressive given it was all home-made.

9QYAiTh.jpg

7dpb2mA.jpg

kUKapSX.jpg

3Tev3c2.jpg

OFFarB6.jpg

ynPSodZ.jpg

4D/Motion Cinema with some pirate thing that turns into a roller coaster. Meh. The locals were loving it though.

i4DQtPL.jpg

I thought this was a nice idea. They had them next to the maps around the park; spin the wheel to decide what to do next. In a small park with everything very close together, I thought it could work well though I didn’t see anyone using it.

jvFmqyX.jpg

lzcNUwz.jpg

There was one of those extended Disc-O things (not a cred, but I always ride them just in case) and a Power Surge next to the biggest coaster here.

9t4p9Y4.jpg

JjOjjXy.jpg

zymTzpJ.jpg

zHZQFAm.jpg

rJQEuVm.jpg

P3zOpqR.jpg

For an old Arrow loopscrew it was mostly inoffensive. The 5-car train looked weird though.

HGVqGCf.jpg

JANncmj.jpg

Vp5KC9j.jpg

eIHbNel.jpg

oahcxk5.jpg

Fr9yEfR.jpg

zsEoQtT.jpg

RkSwwgQ.jpg

I’d really tried to spread my time out here, doing stuff that I’d happily skip elsewhere, but I was still done in a couple of hours (could’ve been done in half that to be honest). It’s not a bad little park really. It’s tiny, but they’ve managed to squeeze in a fair amount of stuff. It had a nice atmosphere as well. Staff were all very friendly and the guests all seemed to be making the most of it.

I had a wander around the shopping mall across the street to kill a bit of time and then got a bus back to my hotel, waking up stupidly early for my flight the next morning.

All-in-all, this was an amazing trip. Obviously, it’s not about the coasters, but the country itself was stunning; even just bus rides between places were amazing. The north and south islands are so different as well; the north being more about the geothermal stuff while the south has the huge mountain ranges. I was pretty exhausted by the end of it, but I’d very deliberately chosen to squeeze a lot in since I tend not to revisit places very much. Others had told me to maybe focus on one island over two weeks instead of covering both, and while that’s a sensible suggestion - there were other places on both islands I could have gone to if I had more time – I’m glad I did both in the same trip.

So yeah. Go. The end.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looks wonderful! Really enjoyed reading through this, with plenty of pictures too!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
So far I have only read up to the skydiving bit -- but woah! That looks sooo awesome. "It was really windy and cold" - ha ha, you dick :D
Rewatched Point Break recently too which reignited the whole 'I should probably do that someday' argument with myself.
So many WTF things in this report, dude. Great pictures etc...
Would read the rest but I don't got all day y'know? Got s**t to do. ;)

Ps Hobbiton looks like Shropshire.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah I really should go see NZ properly, especially Queenstown. Everyone here goes skiing there because you can fly there direct rather than faff around driving within Aus from Sydney or Melbourne to the alpine national park. The extent of my NZ experience was a single day in Auckland where I basically just caught the ferry, went up the tower and spent like 2 hours at Rainbows End.

The park is tiny, and I think the Corkscrew is on its last legs, since it used to have 6 cars.

The gold rush coaster is cool, its mostly downhill out of the station through the indoor bit, the lift, then a bit more coaster outdoors.