What's new

SFMM & 365

Mack

Mega Poster
SFMM is my local park (unless you count Universal), but I thought I'd remark on how it is now that it's open 365 days a year. I've been twice on weekdays now, including today, and it's shocking how empty the park has been both times. My friend and I walked onto X2 (typically a 1-3 hour wait in season) and got to re-ride without exiting 4 times. We had similar luck at Tatsu x2, Full Throttle x6, Twisted Colossus x3, Goliath x2, Apocalypse x2, and also got in Ninja, S:EFK, Revolution, Viper, and we weren't rushing at all.

The kicker:
We were at the park 3 hours.

HIGHLY recommend SFMM on a winter weekday if you happen to have a weekday off work or school. I was stunned at how empty it was even today, the day after Presidents' day.

Mack

Mega Poster
I would say it was the weather, but the day we went a couple weeks ago was around 80ºF (27ºC) and it was just as empty as yesterday which was chilly by Los Angeles standards (60ºF/16ºC), so it doesn't seem weather-related.

I think this might be their whole idea. They can run one train on every coaster except Twisted Colossus which keeps running 2 (so that it duels every other cycle) and have minimal staffing and because it's so empty it'll probably be every guest's best SFMM experience with low expenses. (And perhaps lower the weekend crowds which might lower their expenses of staffing/maintenance on weekends while improving experience). They also only had maybe 25-50% of their shops and games open, but once again, it was so empty that it didn't matter.

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Thanks for that, Mack. I recently saw some vlog of a guy walking around an empty Magic Mountain and I couldn’t believe it. I grew up with MM as my home park — went there countless times — and never saw it that empty, except on rare occasions in the last hour or two before a late closing time.