What's new

"Now Showing"

Finally got around to watching the live action Beauty and the Beast and I genuinely loved it. Although I enjoy Disney and love the parks, I don't consider myself a fanatic by any stretch of the imagination so I don't think that everything they produce is gold, but I thought it was great. Actually, I've been really impressed with all the live action films they've done thus far even though I was skeptical about them at first. I thought the acting was good, I loved the atmosphere, and surprisingly I found it got me a bit emotional at the end. I'd definitely watch it again. 8/10

Edward M

Strata Poster
Florida Project- This is right there with Blade Runner 2049 for the best movie this year. Everything about it was simply wonderful, and I think anyone who is in the least bit interested in movies and Disney parks should try and see this ASAP. The performances were fantastic, mainly from the little girl who's the protagonist and Willem Dafoe, who needs an Oscar for this. But, mainly, it was a beautiful portrayal of childhood and what these kids, miles away from the fantasy of Disney World, do daily in this strip of motels. It's just beautiful, and I loved it so much.

Blade Runner 2049- Ahhh, I loved it so much. I know it was not the most plot heavy, but it was perfect for a detective story. It didn't have to rush any plot and spent time creating my favorite depiction of the future on film, possibly even better than the original's. It's just an unbelievably gorgeous film that is anchored by a fantastic performance from Ryan Gosling. I loved every minute of the three hour film because I just loved seeing this world. In fact, I preferred the first and second act because it was mainly slowly solving a mystery and letting me live in this future for a bit. Plus, the question of what humanity means is always a great philosophical question to be leaving the theater with.

Lady Bird- This may be the best coming of age film I've seen. With this, there was no cliché portrayal; everyone felt so real. It is largely about the struggle of identity within high school and even afterwards. With the main character and even her parents, none of them no what to do; they just know they aren't happy with how things are. This portrayal of confusion within oneself felt so refreshing for a film like this. I also loved that it took place in 2002, a time that most films aren't often in. It's a very unique time for the film to be in. The ending, which I won't ruin, is so perfect for the film. Highly recommend this one.

Meyerowitz Stories- This film is slow, with characters being built up rather individually until the second half. We understand all of their relationships to their father, who is a rather cold man. Shockingly, I felt Adam Sandler gave by far the best performance. He was just fantastic. Ben Stiller was good though I saw just Ben Stiller a lot more than Sandler or Hoffman. Overall, it was just a well done and interesting perspective on parental relationships and the impact they have. Wonderful film.

peep

CF Legend
Saw a bunch of films on Saturday. Started with Murder on the Orient Express which I thought was excellent. Despite loving detective dramas I'd never seen an adaptation of this Agatha Christie novel. I thought the cast were excellent and it looked fantastic, I also love how it kept me guessing till the very end.

Bad Moms at Christmas was next. I quite liked the first film and this one certainly has its moments but I would say most of it plays like a family drama with the odd bit of outrageous humour. It ends up being quite uneven and most of the comedy ends up feeling cringy and out of place. Oh and that end credits dance sequence made me want to die <//3

Killing of a sacred deer. I was intrigued by this film, I thought the director's previous work (the Lobster) was bizarre, amusing and very watchable. I felt like this was just bizarre and neither amusing or watchable. Really didn't like this one.

Jigsaw. I actually haven't seen all of the Saw films but decided to check this out anyway. Felt like the only thing not in the trailer was the terrible dialogue and the "twist" which the Japanese couple sitting next to me couldn't get over - I think they were more invested in this franchise than I'll ever be. So umm, save yourself a few hours and just watch the trailer?

peep

CF Legend
Paddington 2 - One of the best films of the year, just an absolute joy to watch. The visual effects are incredibly seamless and there are plenty of funny moments throughout. I really didn't think they'd be able to match the excellence of the first film but they somehow did, I highly recommend you see both of the Paddington films.

peep

CF Legend
Ingrid goes West - Was looking forward to this film about a crazy lady stalking people via Instagram and then in real life and overall it pretty much met my expectations. It's not fantastic but I enjoyed it and it helped I liked the cast.

Film stars don't die in Liverpool - The cast in this film were all excellent and I thought it was a very emotional film. Some of the transitions from flashback to "current" timeline were beautiful. I liked how a pivotal sequence was seen from both perspectives, totally flipped my own opinion of how things happened.

peep

CF Legend
Battle of the Sexes. I really liked this film, I didn't know about the events before seeing the trailer for it so didn't really know what to expect. I thought the cast were excellent and apart from the odd slow patch found it really entertaining.

Suburbicon I was looking forward to, I liked the look of the 50s style and with it being co written by the Coen brothers and directed by Clooney with a fantastic cast I was expecting to have a great time. Instead I was just a bit puzzled, the "main" story feels random like it's not fully fleshed out and there's a side storyline which doesn't really go anywhere and just made me feel angry (because of the subject matter, not due to the writing of it). I just felt really meh about the film once it finished, it's filmed really nicely and I do really love the style of the film, just a shame it's let down with a lacklustre plot.

Wonder. Just fantastic. I usually don't like Owen Wilson or Julia Roberts but they felt perfect for this film. Jacob Tremblay yet again is just incredible, this kid is such a brilliant actor, hope he continues to get great roles. If the film doesn't make you even close to crying then you clearly don't have a soul, it tugs at the heartstrings constantly. The film just creates this really interesting world of characters and spending time with them is just enjoyable, so much that the run time of the film just flies by. I highly recommend people check this film out.

The man who invented Christmas. Quite interesting film about Dickens writing A Christmas Carol. There were times where the film got a bit tedious but overall it's a really enjoyable film with a cast who just seem to be having a great time.

The Disaster Artist. I'd been looking forward to seeing this since it was announced. Based off the book about the making of the infamous "Worst film ever made", The Room. I had a smile on my face throughout most of the film, it was just a joy, from the random cameos to James Franco's perfect impression of Tommy Wiseau. There's also a brilliant side by side of scenes from the Room and recreations by this cast before the credits and after the credits there's a fun but really random scene. If you're a fan of The Room's cult status or just intrigued this film is a must-see.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I just saw Last Jedi and I personally love it. I mean there’re a couple of little things that raise some eyebrows but I had a great time. One of the most visually stunning movies I’ve ever scene as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
saw "Last Jedi" this morning and thought it was great! Some nice little plot twists between Rey, Kylo Ren and Luke... Came out with a big grin on my face!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just walking back from seeing a couple this evening.

Coco

Excellent film. Gorgeous to look at and some of the best voice acting I've heard in ages. It's all entirely predictable, but it didn't matter. I almost had an emotion at the end. Could do without the Frozen bollocks before it though.

The Greatest Showman

Hadn't really planned on this one and knew nothing about it, but it was due to start soon after I came out of Coco, so gave it a go. Can't decide at the moment. I didn't like it to start with, then got really into it once it got going, then felt a bit "Is that it?" at the end. It's not often I say this, but it could have done with being a tad longer. It felt a bit rushed. It was all a bit "Moulin Rouge" - set a while back but with contemporary music, which is a bit jarring until you get used to it. Nowhere near as good as Moulin Rouge though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Saw Greatest Showman earlier today. Compared to other "musical" movies, this one is excellent. Incredible cast, great soundtrack, amazing choreography, and visually pleasing. If you're into that kind of thing, don't miss it. But like most other musical movies, it falls short when it comes to plot and character development. Like @gavin said, it almost felt a little rushed at points(especially the start). If they tweaked those bits and focused a little more on the characters and their relationships, I think it really could've been something special. I absolutely recommend it, but just know that it isn't perfect.

peep

CF Legend
Need a bit of a catch up...

Star Wars: Last Jedi - I really enjoyed watching this, I left the cinema with a huge grin and there were scenes that genuinely shocked me. There were a few things that irked me that I kept thinking about since but at the time they didn't ruin the film. I still need to check it out for a second time.

Greatest Showman - Loved it, the music, style and cast were just incredible. I agree that the plot isn't fantastic but it's very watchable, maybe something only for fans of musicals though.

Pitch Perfect 3 - I loved the first film, second was alright and this was just about watchable. The song bits were probably the best but there weren't many of them and loads of things felt rushed. Like they really build up the other acts on the tour and then barely mention them again.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Great popcorn flick. I love the main cast, Jack Black playing a girl trapped in his body is just amazing. I thought the film was hilarious and just really entertaining.

I saw the last 3 all in one day, it was certainly a fun way to end the year.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Insidious: The Last Key.

F**king s**te.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So watched a few crap fueled films the past few days

Pirate 5
I left for 20 mins and it made zero difference.

Transformer 5
It was on the plane, and I had nothing else to do. I wish I had paint to watch dry instead.

The Big Sick
Absolutely fantastic film. Laughed, got some feelings. Loved it.

Darkest Hour
History buff, so obviously saw this one. Definition of Oscar bait but still good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The Commuter

Silly bunch of nonsense. Entertaining drivel.

Call me by Your Name

Long. Sooooo slow and long. It's obviously a "good" film, but I was just bored.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Jumanji: I really hated this. I find nothing interesting in this movie. Nothing overtly good or bad. It is the film definition of a harmless blob of meh. I quite liked Jack Black, but the rest of the cast fell really flat for me (usually a fan of all the actors oddly). Plus, the film has 5 different kinds of animals for some reason? It's mainly worthless soldiers, in Jumanji? A film mainly about the jungle and animals? Ugh, I just thought it was so bleh that I loathed it.

Call Me By Your Name: Ahhhh, loved this. It's all about the direction though, the camera's angle and framing remains interesting almost always. The acting is very good, though not amazing. The main actor, Timothee Chalamat or something, did fantastic, and Michael Stuhlberg was also amazing, as always. It didn't stick in my memory as much as I expected it to, but I look forward to watching it again. Big fan!

Phantom Thread: Paul Thomas f***ing Anderson. He's just a titan behind that camera, with the film consistently looking just gorgeous. It was not quite as interesting a script as I was hoping, but I cannot deny the brilliance of nearly all aspects at play. The acting and music are both among the best this year. I hope to watch this again soon to inform my opinion.

Paddington 2: Felt like a "little kid" Wes Anderson film. I thought the script wasn't great honestly, but the direction and overall tone makes it an absolute joy. I was shocked that Hugh Grant stole the show since he was just having a blast. I also love the color palate of the jail scenes. Not quite as good as some people are hyping it up to be, but it's damn solid.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Fantastic film. It isn't realistic to life, but it's more a symbolic film that is meant to portray emotions like anger and loss. Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell give some of the best performances of their career. The writer/director here obviously has a vision, and the script has tons of genuine laughs but also tons of tension and proper drama. I thought about the movie for a solid week afterward.

Killing of a Sacred Deer: This is a film I would recommend to about 4 people. It's slow, disturbing, and completely dry, but, if that sounds interesting, it can be an amazing film to watch. I love symbolic films as I try to piece together the logic through the puzzle pieces the director lays out. I have my own beliefs of the meaning of the film, but I imagine that many others have very different reactions. It's just amazing.

Mudbound: This is a slow film with some very good characters as well as some pretty bad ones. When it excels, it really excels, but, as an overall, it had a good amount of weak moments. I'm glad I watched it, and I enjoyed it immensely. However, it's not amazing and pales in comparison to many movies this year.

Shape of Water: While nowhere near Pan's Labyrinth, one of the best movies ever, it's a really good movie. It has tons of beautiful visuals and memorable moments though I felt the final project was too messy to be "amazing." In a year full of amazing movies, it falls to the wayside for me.

I, Tonya: This is a good movie, with some great moments and performances. Alison Janney is really great, and Margot Robbie is solid. However, it's nothing amazing, and it really pales when put in the spectrum of all the amazing movies this year.

Also, Florida Project is my favorite movie this year. It's a film that truly gets the lower classes of Southern America. It's a disturbing story from the exterior, but, seen through a child's point of view, it can be a place of wonder. The filming of childhood's traumatic events is the only accurate portrayal of trauma I've seen. It felt like a personal film, considering my interest in Disney World as well as my connection to these characters. It's amazing. Lastly, Lady Bird is getting better and better as I see and think about it more often.

peep

CF Legend
^I'm quite annoyed I missed Florida Project at the cinema. I'm hearing so many good things but I doubt I'll see it on it's home release.

Coco - so glad this is finally here in the UK. Absolutely phenomenal, the music is fantastic, the animation and visuals are just incredible and it made me tear up at the end. Will have to check it out again because it's fab.

Mollys Game - Loved this, I'm a huge fan of how Sorkin writes dialogue and this film had several fantastic speeches, I think he's actually a brilliant director too and he used a great cast really well.

Three billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - I really liked this film, I loved all the different characters and their interactions. Not the writer/director's best work (he'll never top In Bruge) but it's very entertaining. At the end some idiot behind me said "wtf, I just paid to see half a film!" because you know, you can't just leave a film on an open note to let the audience imagine what might happen next.

A great start to 2018.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Finally got round to Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 and wow what a film obviously not as good as the first but it's still good the songs are great and introducing The Cosmic Side to the MCU was fantastic as well as setting up the Guardians Side of Infinity War.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The Shape of Water

Very good film. Very stylish and with great performances. Not sure it's quite deserving of so much award buzz though. Seems like a bit of overkill.

Jigsaw

Wasn't as crap as I was expecting. Just a bit crap. Maybe I'm desensitised, but it wasn't even remotely as gross as others in the series.