What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I thought they were going to build a full blown Wickerman, but its just a head and torso :(
DLxjEdcWsAAAZNB.jpg

sauce

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I do moan about Merlin but I kind a love the idea that there are theme parks with a lot of attractions themed to something scary, especially in a setting like Alton's. Shame they rely on the derelict look (derelict church/warehouse/station etc) too often while I'd much prefer something like Mystery Castle. I have a feeling I'll love the theme on this.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I do moan about Merlin but I kind a love the idea that there are theme parks with a lot of attractions themed to something scary, especially in a setting like Alton's. Shame they rely on the derelict look (derelict church/warehouse/station etc) too often while I'd much prefer something like Mystery Castle. I have a feeling I'll love the theme on this.
The thing is, perhaps they saw how popular Nemesis was. Nemesis is dereliction. However, it's done in such a way it's quite discomforting. Excessive dereliction is a bit much. And the theming can justify half-finished work on theming.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
"Derelict" can be synonymous with "Not maintained". It suddenly becomes clear why that theme has become so popular in recent years...

Ethan

Strata Poster
"Derelict" can be synonymous with "Not maintained". It suddenly becomes clear why that theme has become so popular in recent years...

I do agree completely with this. Although, I'll add to this and say derelict buildings are sort of... Fashionable nowadays? The amount of articles I scroll past titled "28 Cool Abandoned Places you wouldn't believe" is ridiculous, and I think it makes the themes of these rides sound quite 'cool' and current? Photographers love them, people watch videos of people exploring them on YouTube etc...

I'm personally bored of it, as most people here seem to be too, but I'd say "aw did you hear about that new ride at Thorpe Park in an abandoned train station" would sound more appealing to a non-enthusiast than "aw have you heard about that ride in a 1900s patisserie?" (Using MaC as an example, as it's much better in reality and not derelict at all)

spicy

Giga Poster
Nice aerial shot.

Cant help but look at all that woodland the flume used to meander through. Such a wasted opportunity this doesn't go flying through there Boulder Dash style.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Ffs, this project is starting to annoy me again. I've ridden two absolutely cracking GCIs this year, top top quality rides, and we get this piece of ****.
Bollocks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't been following this at all, so been having a bit of a catch up.

It's getting so, so f**king annoying to see Alton Towers throw away opportunity after opportunity.

I usually hate to see overly-negative comments when it comes to something which isn't open yet, but in this case everyone's right. This is going to be an ok filler coaster at best; it's not the woodie Alton should have got.

PeteA

Roller Poster
This is going to be an ok filler coaster at best; it's not the woodie Alton should have got.

My sentiments exactly. After all these years of waiting for a wood coaster at Alton, this is what we get. Its saying something when the Log Flume looked to have a longer drop than this :)

Rob 92

Roller Poster
Nice aerial shot.

Cant help but look at all that woodland the flume used to meander through. Such a wasted opportunity this doesn't go flying through there Boulder Dash style.

They would never have got planning permission to build a loud wooden rollercoaster which requires a dense supporting structure through an area that forms part of the Grade I listed historic parks and gardens. The negative impact of such a development on the environment would have outweighed any positives from the perspective on planning officers and councillors at the SMDC.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'll admit, I've been in and out of this topic, have only seen a few updates, and hardly have a clue what's going on. But I do want to point out that GCI's recent (past decade) projects have managed to sneak airtime into the most subtle transitions. I'm not sure how close the updates have been to the ride itself, but I wouldn't sleep on it just yet - it could be quite a sleeper.