What's new

Knott's Berry Farm | HangTime | Gerstlauer Infinity

Intricks

Strata Poster
Well this came out of absolutely nowhere. They are getting a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster that will stand at 150ft tall, have a 96 degree drop and house 5 inversions.

Beyond the RMC's, this literally was the last thing anyone probably thought Knotts was going to receive.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
upload_2017-8-17_3-13-22.png

Knott’s Berry Farm will welcome HangTime, a brand new steel rollercoaster - and the only dive coaster on the West Coast - to the theme park during the 2018 summer season. HangTime will tower 150 feet over the Boardwalk area, showcasing gravity-defying inversions, mid-air suspensions and twisting dive tracks.

HangTime will send riders up a vertical lift hill into a raised 96-degree drop - the steepest drop in California. The coaster’s train will come to a halt once the highest peak is reached, and will leave riders suspended at the crest for several seconds at a 60-degree angle, giving the illusion of a disappearing track. Then the train will suddenly descend in a beyond-vertical drop, through 2,198 feet of steel track and five gravity-defying inversions. HangTime will be only the second rollercoaster in the Western Hemisphere to feature a negative-g stall loop, which gives riders the sensation of floating.

HangTime’s ride structure itself will come to life and illuminate the Boardwalk area with colorful nighttime track chase lighting that will accompany the coaster train’s travels across the smooth steel track. The coaster continues Knott’s legacy in rollercoaster innovation and industry firsts; the park introduced the very first corkscrew inversion rollercoaster with Corkscrew, and the first flywheel launch coaster with Montezuma’s Revenge.

Guests can experience an entire season of fun including the thrill of HangTime with a 2018 Knott’s Season Pass, on sale now at the best price of the year. A Regular Season Pass includes unlimited admission in 2018 to Knott’s Berry Farm with no blackout dates, and a Gold Season Pass includes unlimited admission in 2018 to both Knott’s Berry Farm and the newly expanded Knott’s Soak City Waterpark with no blackout dates.
upload_2017-8-17_3-12-13.png
https://www.knotts.com/explore/hangtime

Intricks

Strata Poster
I don't believe they talked about the lighting package during the very brief, and very poorly showcased, Live Feed. They compared it to Dare Devil Dive coaster from Six Flags over Georgia, which is very odd considering its on the opposite side of the states. Before it ended, they stated that they were going to take them out to the construction zone to give them a preview of the area.

Edit: Apparently I've just gone off the deep end as I'm re-watching their live show and no sort of joke was made. I'm just going to chalk it up to being too tired.

Last edited:

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Pretty cool, especially for something that would fit in a Boomerang's footprint. Love the bright, but not too fluorescent colours! The layout mostly has inversions, but could be quite fun. Very solid addition to Knott's for me :)

gad198

Roller Poster
At Knotts I think this will be OK. The general public will like it well enough, but for enthusiasts I think this pretty much a non-event.
Having said that, when is Cedar Fair going to figure out that this park is crying out for a B&M hyper? A big, tall, high capacity ride with airtime would be an absolute home run out there. Is there a prohibition against building B&M hypers west of the Mississippi?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Photo comparison of daytime vs. nightime
Decent addition, and I have always been a fan of the nighttime chaser lights concept. Should be a good addition to the park. That reveal live stream though was rough - video feed cutting in and out, opening up with comparison to a rival park, and ending it abruptly after 5 minutes? Comeon guys... you literally had three sister parks reveal before you today!

jodon1981

Roller Poster
That was a really odd announcement. From the timing of the announcement (11 EST/8 PST???), the lack of a POV, the constant comparison to Dare Devil Dive at a far away park at a competitor's park...Also, not sure how this constitutes as a dive coaster. I know it's just semantics that they use for marketing purposes, but I find it odd. With their logic, Takabisha is a dive coaster.

Regardless, I actually think that it looks like a fun ride. I love how the top of loop interacts structurally with the twisting hill above it. Cool engineering.

Reactions: JSM

John Knotts

Mega Poster
At Knotts I think this will be OK. The general public will like it well enough, but for enthusiasts I think this pretty much a non-event.
Having said that, when is Cedar Fair going to figure out that this park is crying out for a B&M hyper? A big, tall, high capacity ride with airtime would be an absolute home run out there. Is there a prohibition against building B&M hypers west of the Mississippi?

Knotts has tried to add a hyper on a few occasions, and each time plans fell through. They're better off adding a some sort of Vekoma, RMC or Mack small sized airtime machine instead. The park needed a sit down, complete circuit looper...with a marketing hook. And that's what they got. No it's not the most exciting addition compared to everything else announced yesterday. But business wise, this is a home run. There isn't a single Knotts visitor who is going to leave this ride unhappy. That's how you replace a Boomerang.

Your move SFMM.

peep

CF Legend
I think this looks like a fun addition. Agree with everyone else that chaser lights will look awesome. That sort of drop will be interesting with an infinity train.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It looks like its got a Takabisha style ultra-trimmed first drop. They don't look very good imo. Hope that's just concept art.
3efcaed61b374a0608352790891a6116--yamanashi-water-parks.jpg

Happy the USA has got another big gerst. Even with those hideous supports I'm sure it will look very pleasant, especially at night. Wonder who they got the idea for the lights from!

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ I'm hoping that because this drop is only 96 degrees, the holding brake will be on the flat part at the top, and not on the actual drop? Not sure though, as the trains are twice as long.

Lofty

CF Legend
It looks like its got a Takabisha style ultra-trimmed first drop. They don't look very good imo. Hope that's just concept art.
3efcaed61b374a0608352790891a6116--yamanashi-water-parks.jpg

Happy the USA has got another big gerst. Even with those hideous supports I'm sure it will look very pleasant, especially at night. Wonder who they got the idea for the lights from!
It states in the press release that they'll momentarily hang and the track disappearing. Aka, a holding break like Takabisha.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Well that looks nice doesn't it? Not a bad move when you're replacing something like a Boomerang.