What's new

Non-goon friends & family's favourite coasters

Sandman

Giga Poster
Ever go to a park with a good friend or family member and they end up preferring the trashiest coaster there? Let's here about those moments!
Or, maybe some of your non-enthusiast friends actually have an acquired taste in coasters. Either way, it would be interesting to see which coasters these non-enthusiasts have been on and which they actually enjoyed. I imagine some of your nearest and dearest are already semi-goon through nurture ;)

Last year I went to PA with a good friend and he couldn't stop praising Shambhala on the duration of the flight back. I then have another friend who thinks Infusion is world class and 'like Air at Alton Towers'. Disgraceful.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Mrs Howie really liked Fluch Von Novgorod at Hansa Park. Said it was the most fun she'd ever had on a coaster. I can sorta see where she's coming from.
However, a couple of months back at Blackpool, 2 of my semi-goon friends were really impressed with Infusion. Kept calling it "That one like Nemesis".
The humiliation was almost unbearable.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Hmmm, went with a friend to Silver Dollar City who preferred Wildfire to Outlaw Run. I also had another friend who hated Lightning Rod which is simply offensive. Another friend liked Superman: Ultimate Flight more than Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia. I've always had one friend though who had good taste; favorite coasters at both Six Flags parks were New Texas Giant and Goliath, good man.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
My wife's favourite cred is Gatekeeper, which I can understand, she also likes B&M flyers and Air was her fave prior to Gatekeeper.
Most of my friends love Stealth, again understandable, as they have hardly been anywhere else.

I did take a few mates to Phantasia a few years back but it was my first time so I didn't pay that much attention to their thoughts as I was gooning out hard, I'll have a chat and see what they say, maybe one of those took their fancy.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I have a friend who literally says 'I loved it' to everything she rides, from dull as dishwater kiddie to rough as ****........... 'Amanda - what did you think'.......'I LOVED IT'.....

we need more people like Amanda in the world!

Mack

Mega Poster
My stepdad bizarrely staunchly holds that Raptor is the best at Cedar Point, and he's been on everything multiple times, lol.

Most of my non-enthusiast-level-obsessed friends that are still roller coaster lovers all agree on El Toro or X2 being the best, though. One has a weird adoration of Goliath at SFMM even though he's been on other hypers with me that are totally better. I guess it's all opinion, haha. I'm like blacking out in the helix and he's like again! again!

If your friend has been on X2/El Toro and neither is their favorite, the interaction with your former friend can be difficult, but you must go your separate ways. :p

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Hmmm, went with a friend to Silver Dollar City who preferred Wildfire to Outlaw Run. I also had another friend who hated Lightning Rod which is simply offensive. Another friend liked Superman: Ultimate Flight more than Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia. I've always had one friend though who had good taste; favorite coasters at both Six Flags parks were New Texas Giant and Goliath, good man.
Check out the views in this vid and in the comment section. To be clear, I'm not saying they're "wrong" views, just clearly not the views of enthusiasts.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Check out the views in this vid and in the comment section. To be clear, I'm not saying they're "wrong" views, just clearly not the views of enthusiasts.

To be fair to them, they could admit Outlaw Run was definitely better. They just liked to ride something less intense/terrifying. They still rode Outlaw 7 times though so I think they liked it :p.

IG9887

Roller Poster
Some of my friends actually have argued with me over these things and they arent even enthusiast! Apparently Fahrenheit > Skyrush to most of them so... And when I went on a school trip to San Antonio, some of them actually had GOLIATH as their favorite ride at SFFT!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Went to Liseberg with GP friends last April and Helix hands down went straight to n°1 in their list. Yup, they enjoyed the coasters so much there they even started a Top 10 haha!

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Some of my brother's favorite coasters include Top Thrill Dragster, Goliath GAm, Outlaw Run and New Texas Giant. He didn't do my big trip with me this summer so he hasn't been on most of the coasters in my top 10. I guess this means that even GP love RMC...

TilenB

Strata Poster
I think my dad's favorite is Goliath in SFMM. He's quite a fan of hypers, but I guess that one is his favorite due to the excessive Gs on it... :p

My younger cousin really likes Gatekeeper for some reason. Back in grade 10, my good friend at the time liked Mean Streak and made me ride it three or four times in a row. My friend Ethan took me to Six Flags Great America last year and told me his favourite coasters he has ever been on are Goliath and XFlight.

That's all I know.