What's new

TLARides

Hyper Poster
This is an obvious one for me: Millennium Force. It was my first hyper coaster and I was expecting the best ride in the world. Instead, it was all so smooth and swift that I couldn't feel anything. If I had heard the "Millennium Forceless" jokes before then I wouldn't have been so confused and disappointed. It was still a hugely enjoyable ride, but I had to adjust my expectations from "gut-crunching, heart-pounding mega-coaster" to "graceful, high-speed glider."
Millennium Force is a Giga-Coaster.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Coaster-wise, no major coaster has really disappointed me, so I guess I've always had my expectations bang on for them.

However, I was left quite disappointed by Huracan at Bellewaerde. So much potential and such an awesome dark ride esque pre-lift section, only for the theme to be lost (and arguably ruined) by the boring coaster section.

Non-coaster, I was really disappointed by Mystery Castle at Phantasialand. Awesome theming and queue, but the actual ride is so bland and always leaves me thinking 'is that it?'. Never get the hype and love around it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Space Mountain, Florida. WTF is this kiddie cred in a shed sh*t?
PXfMR9Z.jpg

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Non-coaster, I was really disappointed by Mystery Castle at Phantasialand. Awesome theming and queue, but the actual ride is so bland and always leaves me thinking 'is that it?'. Never get the hype and love around it.
Along those lines, I was quite disappointed by The Curse of Darkastle at BGW. I had heard it was a dark ride worth doing from a couple of sources, so I dragged our group to it, despite the long line. The queue theming was great, and the actual cars themselves were some of the oddest, funkiest bits of amusement park conveyance I've ever seen. But then the ride itself was just a frenetic, 3D effects thing, sort of like the tiresome nonstop pyrotechnics of a movie geared to nine-year-olds and only nine-year-olds. After the impressive buildup, the ride itself had very little charm.

balrog

Mega Poster
Millennium Force is a Giga-Coaster
Gigas are Hypers. Only Intamin consider coasters over 300ft to be another model than those under, but they do not use the standard "Hyper" denomination, and categorise their air time and high speed cuve focused coaster with a lift as mega (150 to 300 ft) and giga ( 300ft and more).
Therefore, if MF is an Intamin Giga, it is also perfectly acceptable to call it a Hypercoaster.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Gigas are Hypers. Only Intamin consider coasters over 300ft to be another model than those under, but they do not use the standard "Hyper" denomination, and categorise their air time and high speed cuve focused coaster with a lift as mega (150 to 300 ft) and giga ( 300ft and more).
Therefore, if MF is an Intamin Giga, it is also perfectly acceptable to call it a Hypercoaster.
I did not know that.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Ethan

Strata Poster
Colossos at Heide Park. It's still one of my favourites but the valleys were so rough it made the airtime seem less enjoyable. Shame, because everyone always raves about Intamin Prefabs.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
There seems to be quite a few people who were disappointed by Wicked Cyclone, I must have been very lucky then as I rode it in it's 1st year of operation and found it very smooth, full of airtime and wonderful inversions, no issues with operations either, grabbed plenty of back row rides. The ending did peter out a bit but the rest was so good I didn't care.
I'm fully expecting it to slide down my rankings the next time I ride if people keep having bad experiences.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
For me Space Mountain at Disneyland paris, Love the theming - but that didn't distract from the fact it was just a rough Vekoma looping coaster.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I can't actually think of many very disappointing coasters from my experience. I might be lucky :p On awful coasters I generally already had minimal expectations, leaving no room for disappointment.

Tonnerre de Zeus is a gradual, but definite let down though. I remember the woodie in its early years running great with good pops of airtime everywhere and fantastic speed throughout. Last time I rode it the airtime was nowhere to be felt exceps perhaps the drop sitting at the rear seats, it was very shaky and felt noticably slower. Maybe it was because I've been on many more coasters since my first ride back in the late 90s, but I felt sad to experience this ride (which was provided my first outstanding coaster thrills) in a sorry state.

I was told Speed of Sound was a definite improvement with its new restraints and refurbished theming and somehow managed to be a little excited about it. Turned out to be another Boomerang with its classic headbanging and rattle for me :(

IG9887

Roller Poster
Has to be I305 without a doubt. I quickly learned that some rides are like me in the mornings...

Jake Martell

Roller Poster
I was really looking forward to Blue Fire believing it was going to be on par with Intamin Accelerators/blitzes but left pretty unsatisfied. The layout is fantastic but it seemed to just barely crawl through most of it...makes me wonder if they could speed up the launch by a few mph, it would certainly mend some of it's problems (most likely not an option). I also had a tough time believing it actually hits 62 mph in 2.5 seconds...

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Hulk both times has disappointed me. First time because it was one of those coasters that i'd known about pre-enthusiast days and so i'd always wanted to ride it. It was rough and underwhelming. Then 2nd time I was hoping it would be smoother with the new track and instead I got so much headbanging!
Goliah @ WH, thought it would be an amazing airtime machine that went straight into my top 10 but it was really dull.
And Mako because of the trims - I do like the ride but the trims took me out of the enjoyment zone and into a "wtf was that?!" moment and that kind of spoilt it.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Really sorry Goliath WH disappointed you :( Where did you ride it? I found it to be much more powerful towards the front, with strong airtime on the big camelback. Towards the rear seats it did felt a little lacklustre for me too.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I don't really get Balder. The drop and the first two camelbacks are ridiculously good but each airtime hill that follows is too short and snappy for my liking. You get a brief jolt in your tummy similar to when you drive too fast over a bridge but the feeling is no more sustained than that. I've learned I prefer my airtime to feel more like you're flying out of your seat for ages as opposed to a quick sudden yank into the lapbar.

It's such an impressive coaster and the amount of time you spend with your arse on the seat is phenomenally low but I went in with really high expectations and it didn't quite meet them.

Sythe

Mega Poster
^ Sounds a lot like my experience on Wicked Cyclone

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
There seems to be quite a few people who were disappointed by Wicked Cyclone, I must have been very lucky then as I rode it in it's 1st year of operation and found it very smooth, full of airtime and wonderful inversions, no issues with operations either, grabbed plenty of back row rides. The ending did peter out a bit but the rest was so good I didn't care.
I'm fully expecting it to slide down my rankings the next time I ride if people keep having bad experiences.
Yikes, that would be a shame. I rode it within the opening 2 weeks so pretty early on, same as you it was brilliant. Got maybe 10 rides that day, one was lackluster the rest were brilliant. Ejector air at every point, threw you around, great flow and pace (surprising since its not that fast) very smooth. If it's gone inconsistent (or worse) that'd be quite heartbreaking