What's new

What coaster (or coaster type) shouldn't exist, in your opinion?

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I was wondering, out of all the coasters and coaster types that I've ridden, which ones do I hate the most?

I hated riding Mean Streak, but not as much as Vortex at KI. I'm not a big fan of Vekoma Boomerangs, but I hate Arrow Loopers too.

It's a hard choice for me. Mean Streak is already torn down so I have to say Vortex by default. Arrow Loopers (or Arrow coasters in general) really beat the living :emoji_zipper_mouth: out of me, while Vekoma Boomerangs leave me extremely sick and dizzy after riding.

What about you guys?

Will

Strata Poster
This is quite similar to the bottom 10 coasters topic, so answers will probably be likewise.

Agreed, boomerangs can be bad, but inverted boomerangs and SLCs are even worse.
The world would be a better place without zierer tivolis, because they irritate me.
Screaming Squirrels, El Locos, X Car coasters and motorbike coasters were also all bad ideas.
And to be honest, I really wouldn't miss intamin accelerators, but I suspect a trip Stateside would change my mind.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Screaming Squirrels and Intamin Zacspins. To me, they don't even really feel like coasters and I don't see any redeeming or enjoyable factors about them.
SLC's are bad but at least they feel coaster-ish.

Will

Strata Poster
^
There's a difference.
Though admittedly, I've yet to work out what it is.

[It's the height, and the angle of the lift hills. Just googled, because I felt stupid after writing that]
Which probably means that of the two, the GIB is less pleasant to ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... tricky question. I mean, there is a fair number of bad rides out there, but very few of them are so bad that they make the world worse for it. Sure, things like Go Gators, Big Apples or Reverchon Spinners aren't the most thrilling things around, but they're dead cheap and fit anywhere. They're the best thing you can get in their price range. If they (and similar rides) didn't exist, there wouldn't be anything to replace them. Given the choice between a bad coaster and no coaster at all, I'd say the former is the best answer.

Pinfari Loopers is the closest thing I can think of as a serious answer. Small, bad capacity, apparently they're rather uncomfortable too. Zamperla's Volare coasters can be described similarly. But their worst trait is that they are just big and expensive enough that the parks that buy them could have found better ways to spend their money. You'd get a rather good flat ride for the price of a Volare, or perhaps a decent little family coaster. Not quite sure what a Pinfari looper costs, but I suspect it's the cheapest thing you can build with an inversion, maybe apart from some portable flat rides.

So yeah, I'd rather ban the worst coasters in their price range, not the worst coasters overall. If a park really wants to build a coaster, but can only afford a Big Apple, I wouldn't stop them. But if they want a mid-range coaster, and decide that a Volare is the thing to buy, I'd happily protest in a violent fashion.

mouse

Giga Poster
Ring Racer - complete waste of time and money. Wikipedia tells me it costed around €12 million. For four days of it being open.
yt.gif

Edward M

Strata Poster
Honestly, Ring Racer is the ultimate rare credit. One of the fastest coasters ever to operate for four days. I imagine you would just feel so exclusive to have ridden it. Anybody on the site rode it?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll step up to bat in defense of the Vekoma SLC. Yes, it is a POS by enthusiast standards. But it also is the every-day-man's inverted coaster; allowing a much wider audience of parks to consider an inverted roller coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Honestly, Ring Racer is the ultimate rare credit. One of the fastest coasters ever to operate for four days. I imagine you would just feel so exclusive to have ridden it. Anybody on the site rode it?
How many days of operation did Vertigo at Walibi Belgium have?