What's new

Incident at Thorpe Park

Matt N

CF Legend
Unfortunately, it would seem as though an incident has occurred at Thorpe Park. If the reports I’m hearing are true, it could be quite a major one. It’s not related to any of the rides, but quite major nonetheless.

I’m hearing reports that people have been stabbed at Thorpe Park, and they’re not letting anyone in or out of the park. The whole place is apparently locked down, and at least 3 people may have been injured.

Here is a collation of some of the reports I’ve heard from those at the park:

Not good news, not good at all. I hope those involved make a speedy recovery.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I guess after this, Thorpe (if not all Merlin parks) are going to beef up their park security.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

JammyH

Hyper Poster
A very tragic incident.

Unfortunately something like this was inevitable when there are no security checks on the way in. My friends were there today and there were only temperature checks and no security checks for those who didn’t have bags.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
A very tragic incident.

Unfortunately something like this was inevitable when there are no security checks on the way in. My friends were there today and there were only temperature checks and no security checks for those who didn’t have bags.

Would hardly call it inevitable.

It equally doesn't matter if people have bags - I would expect it to be more likely that anyone carrying a weapon would have it on them than in a bag.

But what more can the park truly do? Things like airport style scanners could be used I guess, but that would certainly add burden and suck more soul out of entering the park. And how necessary is that for what is s very very isolated incident?

Now isn't really the time for speculation I guess. We don't know the full story. But ultimately, people should feel safe and be safe in a theme park, and this situation is a tragic one in already challenging circumstances.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

It equally doesn't matter if people have bags - I would expect it to be more likely that anyone carrying a weapon would have it on them than in a bag.

But what more can the park truly do? Things like airport style scanners could be used I guess, but that would certainly add burden and suck more soul out of entering the park. And how necessary is that for what is s very very isolated incident?

Now isn't really the time for speculation I guess. We don't know the full story. But ultimately, people should feel safe and be safe in a theme park, and this situation is a tragic one in already challenging circumstances.
Exactly, they NEVER check people without bags at any park except BPB (They use airport style scanners!!!) and I’ve often wondered what is the point in the bag check, it’s too brief, and anyone wanting to hide something would just keep it on their person.

JammyH

Hyper Poster

I understand what you’re saying.

But when I went to the park about 6 years ago you used to have to go through a metal detector, surely that would have picked up someone carrying a metal knife?

Yet supposedly they’ve removed the metal detectors subsequently, my friends encountered zero security checks at all today.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
Extremely sad to see, and really does show how security had lapsed a little - not just here, but other places due to Covid.

I know you can’t stop everything but I think most people who have nothing to hide; wouldn’t have any issue with extra security on entry.

BBC now has an article online.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I understand what you’re saying.

But when I went to the park about 6 years ago you used to have to go through a metal detector, surely that would have picked up someone carrying a metal knife?

Yet supposedly they’ve removed the metal detectors subsequently, my friends encountered zero security checks at all today.

In all my visits to Thorpe, I've never been through a metal detector.

In the past, they used to randomly choose people to go through one. But they've never made everyone go through one..at least, not on a consistent, day-to-day basis.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In all my visits to Thorpe, I've never been through a metal detector.

In the past, they used to randomly choose people to go through one. But they've never made everyone go through one..at least, not on a consistent, day-to-day basis.
Is that what people were picked out for to go through that room? I never knew that, and often wondered... I have NEVER been checked either, when entering without a bag.

Will

Strata Poster
I think the biggest surprise is that this didn't happen years ago with the way Thorpe is.

Annoyingly though, as has been said I think this brings us one step closer to going into Merlin parks being like getting on a plane; Blackpool's already not far off and I seem to remember armed police at the entrance last time I went to Parc Asterix.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think the biggest surprise is that this didn't happen years ago with the way Thorpe is.

Annoyingly though, as has been said I think this brings us one step closer to going into Merlin parks being like getting on a plane; Blackpool's already not far off and I seem to remember armed police at the entrance last time I went to Parc Asterix.
Maybe the Parc Asterix thing was linked to the incidents in previous years in Paris, and has now been relaxed, as no security at all this year, didn’t even notice bag checks (though we had no bags.)

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Maybe the Parc Asterix thing was linked to the incidents in previous years in Paris, and has now been relaxed, as no security at all this year, didn’t even notice bag checks (though we had no bags.)

I was in parc asterix last September and it was really strict. I remember really strict bag searches and metal detectors. Maybe the procedures are different this year due to coronavirus, but coronavirus is not an excuse for decreased security and unfortunately less stringent security measures lead to these sorts of incidents happening.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I was in parc asterix last September and it was really strict. I remember really strict bag searches and metal detectors. Maybe the procedures are different this year due to coronavirus, but coronavirus is not an excuse for decreased security and unfortunately less stringent security measures lead to these sorts of incidents happening.
Hmmm could it be because we arrived 2 hours after opening? I doubt they’d drop all measure if it was that strict just because of Covid...