What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Matt N

CF Legend
This is really going to be massive when it's built! I must say; I'm genuinely excited to see how this turns out! I reckon it could be a really good ride that people will really like, as it seems to bear resemblance to RMCs in portions!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well, a lot of the Chinese compressed air launch coasters are around the 200ft range with drops of 220ft or so - so it's not THAT different in the grand scheme of things, only 20ft or so.
Doh! I forgot about those. I have never ridden one of course, I don't know if they are good/reliable rides. I am becoming quite excited for this. Deff becoming the ride I am most excited to try this year and may be the best 2019 new US opener, granted its a down year.

I agree with Benenen's comment, the weirdness is a plus. So many rides did the same thing for years, I craved anything unique, and even RMC is getting to the point where, for now, many of their coasters have the same basic elements, like SV and Storm Chaser basically have all the current RMC experiences one needs. This however is a one of a kind ride. Just hope its good!

Hutch

Strata Poster
and even RMC is getting to the point where, for now, many of their coasters have the same basic elements, like SV and Storm Chaser basically have all the current RMC experiences one needs.
Neither Steel Vengeance nor Storm Chaser have a quad down though. Or a launch. Or dueling elements. Or a wave turn. Or a proper stall. RMC tends to focus on airtime and a sprinkle of inversions, but they still try to offer some unique elements on certain rides. I'm not gonna ride one or two of them and say "Oh I've pretty much done them all," I want ALL of them.

I get your point though. Steel Curtain does look like a unique ride. I'm a little concerned that the inversions might be a little repetitive, especially in the first half.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Was in Pitt again on Tuesday, can confirm Steel Curtain is still being built.

The sheer scale of this coaster is really going to knock your socks off. Phantom's Revenge already has a pretty imposing stature over the park, but with SC standing a proper 200+ in the air, right next to the hillside - you are going to be very high and very alone!

Hutch

Strata Poster
SV does have a wave turn right before the fourth inversion. It is much smaller compared to the other RMC ones though.
Yeah I know what you're talking about but I was never too sure about that one. The wave turns on Lightning Rod, Outlaw, and Twisted Cyclone seem much more like "proper" wave turns to me when you look at the shaping/hump of the track.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Neither Steel Vengeance nor Storm Chaser have a quad down though. Or a launch. Or dueling elements. Or a wave turn. Or a proper stall. RMC tends to focus on airtime and a sprinkle of inversions, but they still try to offer some unique elements on certain rides. I'm not gonna ride one or two of them and say "Oh I've pretty much done them all," I want ALL of them.

I get your point though. Steel Curtain does look like a unique ride. I'm a little concerned that the inversions might be a little repetitive, especially in the first half.

Well of course I WANT to ride all the RMCs! That's a given lol It was a general point, you're right but yeah it was more the big picture, I like unique rides. RMC has been one of the most mind blowing and innovative, I was thinking more of the days of past when everything was the same 7 looper layout or variation of, out and back hypers, twister GCIs Which I love all those but yeah I crave uniqueness.
I wonder what the airtime will be like, ride is fast the hills dont seem too big, hoping for some good air. The ride actually looks more compact than I was imagining so that's hopeful.

jay37415

Mega Poster
IMG_4403.PNG

Found this on the KW facebook Page. Gives you an idea on the size of this thing. To put it in perspective, the Looping arrow is about 75 feet tall.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I can't help but think that it looks a bit jarring so close to Racer in that photo. I'm all for the ride in general but a tiny piece of me wonders whether this was the best park for this. Something new but more traditional-looking might have been less garish. Suppose Blackpool has a huge mash up and it's comparable to Kennywood.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm confused - are people surprised that the bright yellow coaster 60ft taller than the next tallest coaster in the park with a huge mess of supports stands out?

:confused:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I do think this will be a terrifying ride, as it's a true first for the park to build a large roller coaster that does not take advantage of the hillside terrain. And this is a great thing; being 200 ft. up, on top of additional elevation looking down on the Ohio River - an isolating experience. (or so I hope!)

To also just broaden the lens of color context - Pittsburgh has a rich, rich history in the color... yellow. Or more specifically, black and yellow. The city was referred to as the "Golden Triangle" in the early 20th century, and the colors black and yellow stuck as the city's official colors.

The city flag is black and yellow.
2000px-Flag_of_Pittsburgh%2C_Pennsylvania.svg.png

Many of the bridges you drive across to get into the city are yellow.
pittsburgh_amazon.jpg

And Heinz Field is yellow
heinz18950.jpg

The sport's teams are black and yellow
592394668_750x422.jpg

cut.jpg
7666670.jpg

So yeah, there's a lot of black and yellow. While not a complimentary color combination and quite striking, it's my hope the coaster will look well in it's natural Steel Valley habitat when everything is finished and opened.

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
I do think this will be a terrifying ride, as it's a true first for the park to build a large roller coaster that does not take advantage of the hillside terrain. And this is a great thing; being 200 ft. up, on top of additional elevation looking down on the Ohio River - an isolating experience. (or so I hope!)

To also just broaden the lens of color context - Pittsburgh has a rich, rich history in the color... yellow. Or more specifically, black and yellow. The city was referred to as the "Golden Triangle" in the early 20th century, and the colors black and yellow stuck as the city's official colors.

The city flag is black and yellow.
2000px-Flag_of_Pittsburgh%2C_Pennsylvania.svg.png

Many of the bridges you drive across to get into the city are yellow.
pittsburgh_amazon.jpg

And Heinz Field is yellow
heinz18950.jpg

The sport's teams are black and yellow
592394668_750x422.jpg

cut.jpg
7666670.jpg

So yeah, there's a lot of black and yellow. While not a complimentary color combination and quite striking, it's my hope the coaster will look well in it's natural Steel Valley habitat when everything is finished and opened.
Kennywood is actually on the Monongahela and not the Ohio River, small point but it's interesting because Monongahela actually roughly translates to "banks that erode" which seems applicable since the RMC project was reportedly killed because of the unstable river bank.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Kennywood is actually on the Monongahela and not the Ohio River, small point but it's interesting because Monongahela actually roughly translates to "banks that erode" which seems applicable since the RMC project was reportedly killed because of the unstable river bank.
Hah, you're right - I was typing an email with Cincinnati for work at the same time; mixing up my rivers and cities. :p

That is too funny about Monogahela, didn't realize the translation.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'm confused - are people surprised that the bright yellow coaster 60ft taller than the next tallest coaster in the park with a huge mess of supports stands out?

:confused:
Not a surprise, knew when they announced it but just reiterating it because it looked especially prominent in that specific photo (as I had said in the original post).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Not a surprise, knew when they announced it but just reiterating it because it looked especially prominent in that specific photo (as I had said in the original post).
You really raise a good question though of sightline, and how this coaster will be seen within the park. It will be an imposing feature to the Kennywood skyline from afar; but interested what the in-park views will be on the ride... especially juxtaposed to a 1927 John A Miller woodie. :p

jay37415

Mega Poster
Not sure if any of you had the chance to ride Pittfall. But what made it so thrilling was that it st up on the bank of the river. If you were in the right seat, you could see the downtown skyline. The lift hill on SC faces downtown and will give the rider a nice view looking down to the river. especially with the open cars.
Phantom lifts away from the river and downtown so you don't get that view..

Concerning the sightline, KW released a photo looking down the midway from the entrance tunnel and you can clearly see the "bridge section" of SC. So YES. This coaster will be imposing.