What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Imagine the national outrage if they announced that tax payer money was going to fund a glorified amusement park, though. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd rather see it go towards a theme park than the pockets of politicians, but it wouldn't happen.
Not sure the exact situation around Energylandia's funding, I'm assuming it works a little differently or something.

Energylandia got it's funding, which I understand is mostly interest free loans, from the EU to spark tourism to the area and to provide jobs to the locals. This is similar to fitness centers being funded in Wales or The Eden Project. I don't think anyone could argue that London is struggling to get tourists through the door!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Energylandia got it's funding, which I understand is mostly interest free loans, from the EU to spark tourism to the area and to provide jobs to the locals. This is similar to fitness centers being funded in Wales or The Eden Project.
Oh boy, I bet an application to the EU for all that money would go down like a lead balloon, right now. :p

Howie

Donkey in a hat
What about the rest of the millennials on the site?

Ok, fair comment I suppose, but typing "Only you, CrashCoaster, the rest of the millennials on the site and anyone else fortunate enough to benefit from advances in medical technology will be alive by then" just wouldn't have been as funny.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but I have good news and bad news regarding the London Resort project.

The bad news is that the project is now opening in 2024.

However, the good news is that we have a new manager; the owner of Ebbsfleet United is taking the project on! I'm sure a new manager means a new direction for the project!

Here's what Kent Online has to say about the matter: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-b...resort-plans-pushed-back-another-year-193015/

This exciting news has definitely instilled new faith within me that the project will succeed!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I'm not sure whiich is funniest out of:
"This exciting news has definitely instilled new faith within me that the project will succeed!"
and
"The team have delivered an excellent foundation"

Also - In the 6 years since this project was announced, they haven't even applied for planning permision!

By contrast - in the last 3 years, China has oipened 5 fantawilds, disneyland, 2 happy vallleys, 4 oriental Heritages and about half a dozen Wanda parks..

Robbie

Hyper Poster
By contrast - in the last 3 years, China has oipened 5 fantawilds, disneyland, 2 happy vallleys, 4 oriental Heritages and about half a dozen Wanda parks..
China will have built at least one new actual moon in space by the time this even goes in for planning permission.

spicy

Giga Poster
Pretty sad really since the time this was announced exciting major new parks open up across the world relatively easily and this is still our best chance of anything like that happening in the UK and it’s never going to happen.

Ah well, maybe Merlin will open a new Sea Life/Dungeons/Shrek adventure

Robbie

Hyper Poster
This is seriously needed and not for the creds, but to give Merlin a kick up the arse.
A nice thought but none of these chancers have theme park experience so where are they going to recruit from and what are they going to look at for inspiration about what works in the UK? If on the extreme chance something happens here it will be crappy hotels, fast food outlets and half-assed branded family rides that end up getting built.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
A nice thought but none of these chancers have theme park experience so where are they going to recruit from and what are they going to look at for inspiration about what works in the UK? If on the extreme chance something happens here it will be crappy hotels, fast food outlets and half-assed branded family rides that end up getting built.
Yeah I guess it would be more Six Flags than Disney.

Even so they'd surely build a couple of thrill coasters which could spark a reaction at nearby Thorpe.

El Patricko

Roller Poster
I just got an email through from London resort stating the development consent orders will be going off next year. A major construction company apparently been sourced and signed up along with a new creative partner.

Will be good to see if it actually takes off, I feel like we've been waiting for too long now.

Matt N

CF Legend
Great news; 2019 (and 2024, the current planned opening date) can't come soon enough, if you ask me!