What's new

Korea & Japan #2 - Part 14: A Little Lotte

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, that sounds like fun.

That's a big issue in Japan. When things are running as expected, it's all incredibly smooth, but throw a surprise in there and the whole thing very quickly goes completely tits-up. Contingency plans, common sense and thinking outside the box aren't much of a thing when something unexpected happens.

Just out of interest, it sounds as if you didn't have phone data, or, if you did, you weren't using it? Too late now obviously, but my go to would ALWAYS be to just chuck something into Google Maps rather than rely on asking someone, especially if you've already asked a couple of people and got nowhere.

There definitely ARE local buses that would get you out of the Disney area. Kasai is very close (potentially walkable if you were stuck), with a bus station with regular Disney connections, which is next to a metro station on one of the major lines. Unhelpful now I know, but it seems strange that these options weren't popping up.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That sounds truly grizzly. How unfortunate!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^^We had a bit of phone data, mainly used it to look up the location of all the hotels the buses were going to, so the ones that weren't any use.
Kasai would have been about an hour walk apparently, but the main thing that stopped us going for a walk anywhere was knowing we had to cross at least one of those big bridges, and weren't even sure if you could as a pedestrian. There was also that constant uncertainty that if the weather is getting 'bad enough' for all these trains to stop, is it suddenly going to become nasty to be out in it?
The metro itself at Kasai I believe is above ground and would also have been closed, pretty much everything outdoor was.
I fully believe there were local buses, but the queues were just too overwhelmingly large to ever know which option to commit to, and the signage was poor enough to not be worth risking getting it wrong.

davidm

Strata Poster
Took me until arriving at this place to realise it’s Disneysea as in Disneyland, but with sea, and not just some arbitrary suffix. Weird how you read things.
Was on my THIRD visit to the resort (over the span of a dozen years), when the guy asked me if I wanted to visit "Sea" or "Land" first on my multi-day ticket that this occurred to me. FFS - muppets we all are (me, specifically).

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
44249777584_0c843eb59c_k.jpg

And here we are again. No monorail required for the main park as we’d learnt the walk the previous day. Had a slight shudder walking past the bus terminal again and we were soon through the gates, slithering through the crowds that had all got stuck around some singing thing in the main street.

Day 12 - Tokyo Disneyland

31096210448_820210d28f_k.jpg

Headed over to Big Thunder and grabbed the first fastpass of the day, then went for the main queue of Splash Mountain. Many mountains.

44920339552_17536bae87_k.jpg

Didn’t really know anything about this thing. I’d heard the name obviously and knew it was a water ride, but that was it. I like the setting and the framing of the drop with the thornbush, it’s all rather well done.

43156780830_f2ad4c21d5_k.jpg

Just seems a little odd to have it a stones throw away from Big Thunder, with another similar looking mountain and setup. I was imagining ways to fit them both in the same area, but maybe that wouldn’t work narratively.

44056737335_62745da714_k.jpg

Based around cult classic Song of the South, the dark ride sections of this are a huge part of the ride and really impressive, making it all a lot better than I was expecting. It was a lot of fun. Great start.

44056747285_f940ae24c6_k.jpg

Haunted Mansion was round the corner. The building hasn’t got anywhere the same presence as other iterations, just being stuck on one side of the path opposite Fantasyland stuff.
It was running with its ‘Nightmare Before Christmas’ overlay. This made the preshow a bit weak, as rather than being somewhat scary, you just get a cartoon face appearing in the ceiling saying Merry Christmas!
Ride was interesting enough for being slightly different with this overlay, but all the familiar overused stuff was there as well and it didn’t grab me in any particular way.
Here comes the theme of the day, and an unfortunate side effect of visiting many of their parks – Not as good as Paris.

44250132314_91382868ae_k.jpg

Fastpass time. There’s always a great sense of joy associated with these mine trains. A bit of a buzz in the station, the excitement as the trains plough in on both sides. And off we go.

31096373258_01eba1f826_k.jpg

It’s good, particularly visually, but rides more like a Seven Dwarves, tamed down like their Tower of Terror. The wild and out of control aspect of the Paris version is severely lacking. At least it’s more reliable.

44250031564_2b520a4b2a_k.jpg

Got this weird syndrome where I can't remember what order things happened at Disney.
Everywhere else is normally quite straight forward.

44920446922_a8b3a6b6a7_k.jpg

Jungle Cruise?

44249833644_770437b2e7_k.jpg

They may not be good at maintaining a sinister atmosphere, but if there's one thing the Japanese staff excel at, it's narrating boat rides. And the Oscar goes to... whichever girl we had. The performance was ridiculously intense and hilarious and the ride was rather secondary to it to be honest. Shame less stuff happens. Not as good as Hong Kong.

There's a train thing above it that turned out to be much more than a train thing. Starts out stereotypically western, goes round the water with the paddle steamer thing.

31096400328_399abfd26f_k.jpg

Goes round this.

44920735102_77cd9b010c_k.jpg

Then goes through tunnels with dinosaurs fighting. Think they copied Quancheng Euro Park with that one.

43156936260_ac54ed17c1_k.jpg

Picked up a fastpass for Space Mountain at some point, which put us outside Star Tours. All I'd heard is that it had been updated from the original, but didn't know what that entailed - slightly different video including one of the planets from the prequels. Best part of the ride is the instruction video where the demonstration contains wookies and everyone dressed up Star Wars style.
Being an unhealthy fan of the films, they don't manage to capture anything special in these rides. There's so many things you could do better with the brand. Meh.

31096184318_459a99936d_k.jpg

I remember going on a stupidly long walk past a construction wall several times. Not sure what was so fascinating about the wall, it was plain blue with a couple of disney logos on it, but everyone was completely obsessed with having their picture taken in front of it. Is Frozen going there? Nah... that's not popular any more.

30032291147_8e378023f5_k.jpg

The walk first took us to Roger Rabbit. This was good, mainly for being different. There's a whole lot of craziness to it, including spinning cars, so it did the job well.

44920514722_b669efa7b3_k.jpg

Back to Space Mountain. The conveyor belt entrance with the transparent roofing was deeply unpleasant in the intense heat.
Got on the ride, got dispatched within less than a second of the putting the bar down. Whoa, that was an intense start.
Pulled out of the station, went left instead of right, through a curtain. Someone asks 'is this Space Mountain?' I start laughing uncontrollably.
We've ended up in the maintenance shed. Car stalls itself and staff have to push it all the way in, bowing and apologising profusely. Please don't, this is amazing.
We get instructed to climb out, then taken on a backstage tour through endless tunnels to end up back in the station and put straight in another car.

That may as well have been Space Mountain, cos this thing was poor. The music was off, the lighting wasn't disorientating. It felt slow and weak. Not as good as Hong Kong.

Grabbed a fastpass for Monsters Inc and had a questionable lunch - back on track with their less than ideal food.

44920569632_e83996c6c4_k.jpg

Except this. This was spot on.
Time for the +1.

44249898314_ec5374aae4_k.jpg

As well as expecting to queue a million years for these kids creds, for some reason I pictured them in my head as unceremoniously plonked on a patch of land, but they've done an insane job of making this one look good and it was another 10 minute queue, so well done. Guess no one really loves Gadget (who?)

43157079820_5002f87fff_k.jpg

I knew Pooh had a reputation of being rather good, but it exceeded all expectations in this format. There's something so much more magical and exciting about these trackless things, watching them go about their business around you, it's like a step closer to humanising a ride. Or I'm just weird.
The Tigger room is amazing, then things just get insane. Pooh does a Twilight Zone and drifts into the further, something which kept me laughing until well after the ride had ended, while we enter a room that can only be described as 1000 trackless vehicles (half of them containing characters rather than humans) dancing around each other in a drug fuelled frenzy. This isn't the Winnie the Pooh I know, but I bloody love it.

44057030085_b57456f420_k.jpg

Finally Tokyo, you've one-upped something.

Did Pinocchio for a laugh. It's too fast, and... the same?

Had no idea what Philharmagic was, but gave that a crack. Sitting down on sofas in a weird lobby full of obscure posters.

44969352671_007e406146_k.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be Hades on stage belting out some hits. Oh, no, the doors have opened and it's a 4D cinema.

It was good actually. Donald Duck doing some black magic with Mickey's orchestra and ending up in a load of other films for some musical numbers - Beast, Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, Fantasia (love it). There's a strong smell of cake that lingers from Be My Guest onwards and an animatronic Donald ends up in the wall at the back of the theatre at the end. Can't argue with that.

44920811252_d5130249b7_k.jpg

Time for Monsters Inc.

43157251050_2671a3086d_k.jpg

They stole my idea from the last time I got bored in a Legoland and replaced a shooting ride with a 'how many physical effects can you set off?' ride, by using torches and hunting for monsters. It's a clever idea, so I'll let them have it. Fun too.

30032460717_636c3aa83b_k.jpg

Pirates is in a weird place, so nearly forgot about that. Had a fantastic moment outside it, where it appeared that a cleaner had smuggled in a music player and suddenly burst into spontaneous breakdance in front of people. Then he goes into the growing crowd and pulls out a girl who just happens to be rather good at backflips. They had their moment, well done them. If only it was real... I could claim it on the league.

They've added some film stuff to the ride, which doesn't really help it for me, but it contains a very breathtaking ship battle scene, which I don't remember from the original. Got one of those deceptively huge drops in the dark chucked in as well. Liked it a lot.
Not as good as Shanghai, obviously.

43157333390_d28fb8ae85_k.jpg

It was now 'time killing' time until the closing show, gotta get at least one for comparison haven't we. What does one do when killing time at Disney?

44969383641_c0b4333925_k.jpg

Small World.
It's fine really. The music is way less invasive than reputation dictates. They've also got Disney character models everywhere so you can play a fun game of spot all them in their various countries.

30032689037_d156be48b0_k.jpg

Had another go on Big Thunder, which was slightly improved by the night time and the lighting package on the sulphury geysery bit.

Time to camp out the show.
Oh, there was a parade first. Pete's Dragon, Emporer's New Groove, Treasure Planet, all the hits.

Thought we were going to be treated to the Paris experience with sitting on the floor for the performance, but with around half an hour to go, everyone spontaneously stood up. Ugh, my bag is heavy.

44250178344_1668ab2416_k.jpg

Normally these shows are pretty special right? A magical moment to end the day, a world class spectacle, lots of big tunes and tears. Disney at it's finest.
What followed was hilarious, but quite possibly the death of Disney.
They're on the 35 year anniversary at the moment, and the show was celebrating 'the rides of Tokyo Disneyland'.
But, we've just done all the rides, and some of them ain't worth celebrating.

They've got the usual song tying it all together about magic and dreams come true and life is a party and all that, but it came across as way too far up its own arse when it's so specific to a day at this theme park and not just the brand in general.
Mickey is titting about as always but the highlights were, in no particular order: low resolution footage direct from the Star Wars simulator, a celebration of the paddle steamer(I lost it hard at this point) and some flat rides no one cares about.

The actual highlight? Probably saying 'Yay, the Pirates of the Carribbean theme', because it reminded me of Shanghai.
No, it was the paddle steamer, that was the defining moment. The moment it couldn't recover from.

There were no fireworks, very few special effects, a couple of pyros and zero interesting graphics which were also steppy and of poor quality.

It ended to absolute silence.
And then everyone left, probably all thinking 'where was Let It Go?'

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Those "end of day" shows should only ever be massive spectacles. Anywhere that half-arses it has clearly totally missed the point of what they're for. Agree with you there 100%.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^Aww, thanks!

Time for our final day in Tokyo. Started off by clearing some anxiety that had been building all week after telling ourselves we'll get Thunder Dolphin one evening, but hadn't actually managed it due to a combination of K-Pop and typhoons. So let's do it.

Day 13 - Tokyo Dome

44962240962_d93e855269_k.jpg

Tokyo Dome is a confusing little place. Half shopping mall, half spa, split across many floors and a road, combined with a distinct lack of visitors first thing in the morning. Got lost in a lift for a bit, then picked up some wristbands from the lovely staff and headed straight to the main event.

It's policy here at each ride to hold a sign in front of your face containing all the rules and regulations in English, for you to show some level of understanding and then nod your agreement before entering. I admire their commitment to procedure, as this also happens on rerides, just in case something serious happened to you on your previous lap.

There's some locker faff in the station, but the ride was only ever half full at most, so mainly involved waiting around for things to happen. They've got some sort of OCD despatch procedure which involves many complicated gestures and a speech, pointing at various buttons and lights, then the staff members, who are all doing hand signals for what appears to be facts about the ride - height, speed, drop etc. It all ends with the obligatory waving of course. Cute.

44099449285_ab88455a23_k.jpg

The ol' Intamin cable lift in the middle of a city is quite a surreal experience, but these things never give you too much time to think.

44962307502_beed3ae84b_k.jpg

So it's not fantastic.
It's fun because it's interesting and cool, just not so much because of the layout, which suffers quite badly from being very forced into its surroundings.

43199008180_edf420f2ba_k.jpg

The first drop is very good, naturally. There's also a speed hill thing that packs quite a punch, and the way it comes into the big drop through the hole in the building is pretty special.

30074440337_d646118f8a_k.jpg

The rest involves large banked corners at 150ft in the air, a failed air time hill, a 150ft drop into the brake run and most importantly - a 'so dumb it's funny section' of slow wonky hills, also 150ft in the air.

31137936718_84147f9084_k.jpg

Did a very weird shooting dark ride here to finally break the trend.
It's a standup, with elaborate seatbelts that we were told we didn't need, in a car that holds 4 people in a square shape, facing outwards. It moves to the middle of each scene before activating said scene, then does a single rotation on the spot while you can shoot things. There weren't many scenes.

44962204402_35993fd938_k.jpg

Did the log flume for some reason.

45010547041_c270df47a4_k.jpg

Glad we did, as it has a little lookout post for the staff in the middle of the upper level meandering section, placed just so they can wave to you and tell you to watch out for the drop as you approach said drop. Cute.
Was also surprisingly wet. Good for the heat.

Went over to another section of the park looking for their Spiderman type dark ride, but it's all closed off and has been removed from the maps. Spite.

44099358335_426070a177_k.jpg

Did the Big O. Karaoke option is available, but had the normal pod which has a touch screen that can read out stories about the history of the park in various languages. Good stuff, though they used to have a lot more creds apparently. More spite.

44291396514_0edff42b0a_k.jpg

Headed out after a final go on the Dolphin, but kept the wristband on. Just in case.

Got reacquainted with the concept of 'fare adjustment' after a very long journey to the next place. Those damn Tokyo trains.

A friendly bus driver was waiting at the station exit and he showed us the marvels of the automatic change dispenser that is built into their buses, so you can always pay the correct amount.
On closer inspection, coulda walked it, but I'll claim that we were preserving ourselves for the insanity of this particular day.

Tobu Zoo

Well this is far more unassuming than I was expecting.

43198980300_33d108e085_k.jpg

Got as far as the ticket window to see one of those dreaded signs with pictures and names of rides on it. It would appear that the Megalite and one of the small creds aren't open. Please no.
Made friends with the staff lady, who explained the situation as 'they're doing their daily checks on the rides at the moment, it might open afterwards, but no guarantee'. This also included a phone call to the ride staff, which given how quiet it was, could well have been 'open the ride for these lovely people'.

44962618022_1b0e756a1b_k.jpg

With no guarantee, we bought entry only and wandered in for a look. Headed straight for the Megalite, where a man pretty much opened it in our face.
Right, how do we upgrade to a wristband then? He led us over to another super nice person who was making sure we understood the cost implications and how much we would have to ride to make the transaction worthwhile. 4 goes on the big one? Oooh, brave!

31138315938_a67ed169fc_k.jpg

So we had it to ourselves for the afternoon, which could have been amazing, but I've found again that they don't all ride the same and the original is still far superior for whatever reason. We physically struggled to marathon Piraten due to its intensity, but there's something lacking here and it's just going through the motions more than anything.
Ugh, clones.

44291688444_ba855c3acc_k.jpg

The true highlight was the smoke effect on the brake run, along with more OCD despatch checks where two staff make a point of walking to the front of the station, looking out at the sky and/or lift hill, pointing and nodding. 'Yup, no rain/it's still in one piece'.

43199022080_a1fe58bc0a_k.jpg

Right, creds. Tentomushi was round the corner, a classic Tivoli medium. Done.

31138436068_cd533d9f4e_k.jpg

Regina loomed in the distance. Only woodie of the trip, sadly. This'll be interesting.

31138401888_a9b3e42709_k.jpg

There's always that fear these days that the next unsuspecting woodie will be cripplingly rough. This one was fine. A bit something and nothing in terms of what it actually did, the odd off the seat moment here and there, but with a functional shake and comfortable trains, so... 'a bigger Elf' or 'slightly better than the Vekomas', take your pick.

The final cred was indeed down, and remained that way. It had engineers on their backs under the station track most of the time. Ah well.

44291801694_c99764b828_k.jpg

30074796797_6cb8e176c5_k.jpg

44099740305_f0ea231c5c_k.jpg

31138549908_936f395d40_k.jpg

Another park another Ferris Wheel. This one had stuff about cheese, including a narrating girl that was enjoying eating said cheese in a questionably pleasurable manner. Then it turned into anime music. Classic.

30075194897_49db34f9b2_k.jpg

44099895605_7ee1cf299c_k.jpg

44291964884_4ce5fcffa7_k.jpg

45010947911_bf16cbfd77_k.jpg

31138798928_22e0a53d63_k.jpg

Slithered round the zoo for a bit, ending up at the complete opposite end of the park which had another entrance, but headed out the way we came, bus and all.

Don't know why I imagined this place as a significant park. It was far more low key and in line with a lot of other places in Japan - friendly, but a bit run down and haven't done anything for 10 years. Grab them while you can.

Decided that was enough parks for now and headed back into the city for some other bits. In mental preparation for the following days, we completed our ritual of hitting every music shop in town, searching for stupidly rare K-Pop albums. A ritual that very often borders on the excessive.

44291970224_9da5b6296a_k.jpg

Went to heal at the Pokemon Centre.

44962941532_73dee45c74_k.jpg

This one had a far more impressive selection than Osaka, along with some good displays, but no free gift sadly.

30075082287_20cd3cd9a8_k.jpg

Decided to buy everyone's favourite Pokemon.
No, this - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Substitute_(move)

44962927382_7269507025_k.jpg

From there we went to the free observation deck in the government building. Night view wasn't a great idea to be honest, bit generic looking. And still no Mt Fuji.

Normal people would go back to the hotel and sleep at this point, but we picked up our bags and headed to the airport for our 2am flight back to Korea.
There was method to this madness, honest.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Quality. Been a long time since I recall seeing a trip report from Tobo Zoo, and I hadn't ever really realised it was such a dumpy looking park. Looks reminiscent of Walygator! :p

Enjoying this, keep it up! :D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Did the Big O. Karaoke option is available, but had the normal pod which has a touch screen that can read out stories about the history of the park in various languages. Good stuff, though they used to have a lot more creds apparently. More spite.

Got 4 creds there. Sorry about it.

And Tobu Zoo is f**king ratchet. Too bad about Kawasemi though. When I was there, I got there on a Saturday afternoon. While it wasn't busy, there were at least enough people to form a slight queue and it had been running for a few hours already, so it was fab. Your experience here sounds identical to mine at Visionland: a "cold" coaster that was barely leaving the station all day. Shame.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I'll lump the last few days in together, as there's only one more brief jaunt in a park to keep you mildly interested.

The 2am flight was to get us back into Seoul and meet the strict criteria to be able to attend the filming of K-Pop chart tv show Music Bank as part of an airport 'transit' experience.

43269084710_7a97716500_k.jpg

Landed at 5am and proceeded to camp out the desk that would later open to distribute the tickets. The grumpiest man in Korea showed up for the morning shift and very reluctantly handed over the goods after some aggressive questions, without ever looking us in the eye.

Got to the hotel some time mid morning and went to sleep. Woke up mid afternoon and headed to the tv studio.
Getting inside went a lot more smoothly than last year now we knew how things worked, but it had become even more complicated within, as they've started to semi-enforce a seating plan. We learnt before that the locals like to sit in groups of their own fandom to show a stronger presence of support, but in theory anyone that was automatically designated a good viewing spot could kick someone else out or ask security to do it for them.
Didn't realise this was happening at all until someone approached us and sent us on our way, and then our actual seats (which were in a terrible place) had already been taken by a huge group, so ended up in a very prime spot nervously waiting to be moved again.

Show itself was suitably spectacular, but not quite up to the standard what we had the previous year. There's a lot of luck involved in who is going to be promoting at the time and we just happened to catch a disproportionate amount of groups that we knew and liked last time, this year slightly less so...
A show ranging from magnificence

to this.
And not just the one performance of it. They had two bites of the apple.

Luck was irrelavant though, considering who we found and met in Japan, along with what was going to happen to us the next day.

Not being as destroyed as we expected from that experience, we managed an extortionate amount of shopping that evening, which then led me to having one of my genius ideas in the middle of the night - Let's go back to Lotte World tomorrow. And we did.

Day 15 - Lotte World

Basic premise of the visit was that we didn't get Pharoah's Fury last time and it would be rude not to pop in and ride Atlantis again, considering how close we were going to be to the place later that day anyway.

44361982884_527f5a8e8e_k.jpg

Ended up at the South Entrance somehow, which I didn't know existed. Remember running through a mall last time and being spited by how quickly fastpasses dried up due to how insanely busy some of the rides get here. This entrance was on an unassuming street with only a small gathering of people waiting for them to open the doors.

44362093954_20f2ccfad9_k.jpg

It was also directly under the bridge to the 'outdoor' stuff, so great for running to said fastpasses.
Despite being specifically told not to run today, everyone did, and we joined in. Managed to bag a morning slot for Atlantis as well as jump in the main queue for a brief 30 minute wait.

Ride was mostly as I remember. Amazing station with the clapping and singing and pushing of big canvas bag trolleys for loose belongings on the offload platform.

30145338627_a5ed400c06_k.jpg

A layout with some fantastic moments, but full of deeply questionable pacing issues.
Main difference was that I thought the first indoor hill after the launch was the standout airtime moment, but this time it was the one into the archway that nearly cuts your head off.

44362058714_74ed734ebb_k.jpg

This one. Also more mist!

44362001444_f8528f065d_k.jpg

And a new sponsor.

Comet Express was broken sadly. Would have liked to give it another go after how ridiculously good it was. Pharoah's Fury then.

45034149922_8eed8cb605_k.jpg

Had a great queueline that was mostly empty, then some very efficient batching going on in the station. Cars had netted pouchy things for bags but we were specifically not to use them. On the lap bar it goes. Hope it ain't too intense.

45034219622_3bafe726ad_k.jpg

Riding Indy on the same trip may have hurt this slightly, it was probably all very impressive, but more of a return to the out of place jerky movements and there's a little 'outside' section that breaks the magic somewhat. Don't remember a particularly spectacular ending. Seem to recall asking where was the fury?

31209183638_39a9e4cd3c_k.jpg

Forgot French Revolution did that, even without wearing the VR.

44362125574_caec5a69e0_k.jpg

Don't remember them having an ice rink before.

31209130998_88f802ff58_k.jpg

Went back outside to use the fastpass. By this time the machine had already sold out and been covered up for the day with the standby queue, as seems to be the norm, stretching way beyond what it can physically hold and out into the various pathways around the area.

Comet Express still broken. Tried to find something else.

44362157354_0af209af6d_k.jpg

Ended up with Fly Venture, not being sure what it was. Diagrams outside would have you believe it's a Forbidden Journey ride system, but it turned out to be a flying theatre.

It had this elaborate Steampunk theming and queueline with a preshow featuring some inventor bloke talking about a fantastic journey travelling through time and space (with poorly translated subs). Could be interesting then. Nah, the ride had absolutely nothing to do with the theme and the preshow, just your generic flying over scenery (Korean in this case) in the present day. Ugh... deception.

Without wanting to commit to any large queues for something that wasn't new, our visit came to an end.

So I talked about luck earlier. Some time after this trip was fully booked and planned to the nth degree, another of our absolute favourite K-Pop groups announced some concert dates. Full blown concerts in this industry aren't common to start with, it's just not the way they make money/gain popularity. It was happening in Seoul. We were in Seoul for 72 hours at best on this trip. It was on the only full day we had there. The only day we had free. This was fate.

The tale of what was involved in acquiring the tickets alone would probably be longer than this trip report, involving serious levels of unprofessionalism on my part, copious amounts of spending, learning that consumer laws are irrelevant, becoming best friends with Paypal, becoming mortal enemies with my bank and hopefully ruining a Korean man's life.
So it meant quite a lot.

I won't describe the evening beyond 'lifechanging', as you probably got bored long ago.

Here's some token culture.

45034348202_a564797d91_k.jpg

43269234430_8d2159b887_k.jpg

30145517217_3c061ba093_k.jpg

Worryingly far from the first time I've seen Koreans playing with their old timey torture devices.

Will probably do a stat page to finish, now that I've got into the habit. Stay tuned for that excitement.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Pharaoh's Fury was a big disappointment last time I went there compared to when it first opened. The queue line used to be much, much longer (around 1km) and was easily one of the best ever - it was more like a walkthrough than a queue - but it's been massively cut now.

The ride itself also seemed quite neutered. There were a bunch of fire effects which I assume had been removed, but I guess they could have just been off on that day. It was all a bit of a shame really considering how huge and expensive the whole thing was (biggest investment they'd ever made up to that point - probably still). It had also gone from 2-hour queues to practically walk-on. I think Sinbad is the better dark ride now.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^Yes. 'Needs more fire' was very near the top of things on my mind.

Summary

As promised, the fun of numbers and maps.

31244551488_f3304c93e5_o.png

New creds - 56
Total parks - 19
Jet coasters - 7
Shooting dark rides - 8
Best coaster - Eejanaika
Spites - 8/64 (12.5%)

Always a pleasure.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
That's such a high spite ratio! Would be interested to know how this compares with your other trips (if you have the data). Some great reports there though - really interesting reading.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
That's absolutely crazy. I've only been on five overseas park trips, but I've only ever had one spite. These have been in Europe though so I guess that's the difference.
So it's mainly the rain that's causing this I presume?

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
'Rain' writes entire parks off, so it's the main killer yes.
'Wind' took out a chunk on a few occasions.
'Cold' has been a thing - been quoted 15 degrees as a cut off once...
'Maintenance' is claimed a lot, sometimes true, sometimes not.
There's also a thing in Chinese parks that have more than say 4 creds, where they don't really feel the need to have them all open at the same time - you've got enough to keep you happy.
Take any excuse to not run something is the attitude that comes across really. Whether that stems from bad regulations or cost cutting and knowing that the locals won't complain/expect it, I have yet to determine.

Out of interest, the previous Korea and Japan trip was 10/59 (16.9%)
Improvement.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Been doing some catching up - I'm up to day 10. :)
Had a few stress-free days there didn't you, eh? This can't be right, I thought, but Fuji Q came in and threw in a bit of tension and drama.
Not gonna lie - it's a much more gripping read when things are going wrong - but I'm genuinely glad you got it done in the end. The hero triumphs!
You should write crime novels or something, they'd be real page-turners.... and I haven't even got to the typhoons yet!