What's new

Lightning Rod Status

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
^One of the "smaller issues" they are apparently dealing with is padding the trains, but originally the trains did have trouble lining up with the launch.
*may not be accurate

Hutch

Strata Poster
When I rode LR (luckily I was able to get on it 4 times) at the end of April, I don't remember the bottom of the hill being rough. I just remember the quad down literally taking my breath away.
I got 13 rides, but it actually took me several rides to notice the roughness at the bottom. Some seats handle it much better than others.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I noticed the bump, but it didn't detract from the awesomeness.
I heard somewhere that it was the electrical energy storage in the trains which was malfunctioning (you can hear it on the brake run in the front seat), and it was failing to park correctly in the station (saw this myself). I know nothing about the launch being a major issue, and while running in the wind and rain it never once failed to clear the top of the launch.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know nothing about the launch being a major issue, and while running in the wind and rain it never once failed to clear the top of the launch.
I don't think that was ever the issue, really. The launch wasn't failing to accelerate the train properly - rather it was going in to fault and 'e-stopping' the launches.

The sensors along the launch track monitor the position of the train and adjust the launch power appropriately to get the train to the right speed (that's how LSMs work, fundamentally). From how it's been described, for some reason the launch wasn't providing a consistent enough speed, and therefore kept throwing the sensors out. One train would launch fine, but the next one would underspeed slightly and the sensor further up the track would 'panic' and e-stop the launch. Next train overspeeds, next is correct, etc etc. I think the net result is that the sensors keep tripping because of the irregularity. This is pretty much how this was explained to us by Pete during our tour in 2016. What causes the irregularity? Not sure anyone really knows for sure.

The train/station sensor issues - probably something else.
The restraints - probably something else.
The rough drop - definitely something else.

It all then adds up.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The sensors along the launch track monitor the position of the train and adjust the launch power appropriately to get the train to the right speed (that's how LSMs work, fundamentally). From how it's been described, for some reason the launch wasn't providing a consistent enough speed, and therefore kept throwing the sensors out. One train would launch fine, but the next one would underspeed slightly and the sensor further up the track would 'panic' and e-stop the launch. Next train overspeeds, next is correct, etc etc. I think the net result is that the sensors keep tripping because of the irregularity. This is pretty much how this was explained to us by Pete during our tour in 2016. What causes the irregularity? Not sure anyone really knows for sure.
Strange that it was an error happening sporadically then as there was no downtime when I visited, at least not on the first day in the wind and rain. 2nd day it did go down just before I left for the day but was running fine all morning.
I would have thought that a fault like that would be regular, maybe it was and they were managing in via the console. Only Jesus knows.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Strange that it was an error happening sporadically then as there was no downtime when I visited, at least not on the first day in the wind and rain. 2nd day it did go down just before I left for the day but was running fine all morning.
I would have thought that a fault like that would be regular, maybe it was and they were managing in via the console. Only Jesus knows.
Like I say, there was plausibly a few different issues. Maybe the launch was fixed by that point, and when you were there it was something else? I think it's the irregularity that causes the problem - if it was regular it'd be easier to fix!

Pear

Strata Poster
Was closed today.

On another note Mystery Mine was also closed and rides kept breaking all day and at one point, the only major coasters open were Firechaser and Tennesse Tornado. I ended up getting a refund and leaving the park.

Matt N

CF Legend
Was closed today.

On another note Mystery Mine was also closed and rides kept breaking all day and at one point, the only major coasters open were Firechaser and Tennesse Tornado. I ended up getting a refund and leaving the park.
At least you'll have a +7 if you eventually return!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Was closed today.

Yikes. If that puts a sour taste in your mouth for Dollywood, just realize that most parks wouldn’t even give a refund.

Pear

Strata Poster
Yikes. If that puts a sour taste in your mouth for Dollywood, just realize that most parks wouldn’t even give a refund.
The park itself was still nice and I still like it a lot (I last visited in 2013). It was honestly really sad to see one of my favorite parks in such a state of disrepair, however I will try my best to return next year and finally get on Lrod and visit the new area.

streetmagix

Mega Poster

Most European parks will revalidate tickets if enough rides are down / weather is bad enough. Is it an American thing *not* to do such a thing? I thought Customer Service was a big thing there.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Most European parks will revalidate tickets if enough rides are down / weather is bad enough. Is it an American thing *not* to do such a thing? I thought Customer Service was a big thing there.
Customer service is certainly a specialty in the States, but that doesn’t extend to most amusement parks. They’re supposed to warn you as to which rides are down before you pay for admission (they’re not always good about this!), and then once you’re in, the idea is that you’ve paid for the whole experience, so some down rides are not just cause for refunds. That said, I’ve never been at a park when almost all the rides go down!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Customer service is certainly a specialty in the States, but that doesn’t extend to most amusement parks. They’re supposed to warn you as to which rides are down before you pay for admission (they’re not always good about this!), and then once you’re in, the idea is that you’ve paid for the whole experience, so some down rides are not just cause for refunds. That said, I’ve never been at a park when almost all the rides go down!
Six Flags does **** all if there's bad weather. Customer Service at SFGAm was absolute garbage, like most of the park.
giphy.gif

tomahawk

Strata Poster
On all tickets there is a rain of shine policy that basically says, if rides go down, tough ****.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pear

Strata Poster
I emailed the park asking if it was a mistake and they said they're planning for the ride to be on ERT then so maybe there's hope.

If it does open I'm hoping to head back there about 2 weeks after the 6th.

Snoo

The Legend
I mean they’ve also been planning to have the ride open for a hot minute. Proof is in the pudding after all. Gotta see this puppy moving first then I’ll start peeing my panties.