What's new

Schwaben Park | Wilde Hilde | RES Roller Ball

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Oh I can tell how it works, I just thought it was a strange design choice. It's an interesting situation because in most cases, high torsion is only seen on cylindrical rods. Now that's what the spine is in a sense so I get that. It's the weld holding the ties to the spine that I thought were unusual in that that's a lot of shear on that weld. Now obviously it works or they wouldn't be building it.

"That's an unusual design" =/= "I don't understand how this works

There's no denying it's unusual, there's nothing else like it in the world. Unless maybe I'm wrong, is there any coaster type where the track holds the train from the side? Now I'm curious.

Edit: Just thought about this, F.L.Y. will have sideways sections if I’m not mistaken, that’ll put the launch track in torsion for sure if it works the way I think it does.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Just saw this. Looks very weird. I haven't done either the Zacspin or Freespin but this seems like an interesting alternative. The little drops could be fun?

Pear

Strata Poster
It should be a really interesting experience seeing as how the restraints are only lapbars and no vests.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Just thought about this, F.L.Y. will have sideways sections if I’m not mistaken, that’ll put the launch track in torsion for sure if it works the way I think it does.
I am 99% sure FLY 'twists' to the flying position before the launch. Although, a sideways launch like that would be quite the sensation!

Marnit

Roller Poster
I think rumour is that it first has a slow launch, akin to a chain lift sideways, and an actual launch partway through the layout in flying position

Dave

CF Legend
Speaking as a pure simpleton with nothing but pure guess work. It is supported one sided by a large structure which will take the strain of the track and cars.

But what do I know, don't introduce myself as an expert regularly to make a point....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
To be honest the rails themselves will mitigate much of the stress as they will essentially be loaded in a bending case caused by the wheel bogeys of the coach. Plus the fact that the tubes will be supported on both ends just presents a better scenario for stress mitigation.

Also we're talking about 1/4" wall steel tube...maybe even 3/8" wall. Any sort of torsional deflection will likely be minimal.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Schwaben have posted this on Facebook.
We need your help. What design should we use for the gondolas of our world-wide unique roller coaster "Wilde Hilde" - the totally crazy chicken coop?

32578511_1714888108589068_8089495997786357760_n.jpg

32392159_1714888175255728_7036653321439936512_n.jpg

32722982_1714888255255720_8734566520476139520_n.jpg

Jarrett

I like the first one with the hat actually simply for the color but I think 3 looks most like something you'd actually find on a kiddie ride.

Jarrett

Yes but from an engineering standpoint what is the best design?
Well I deliberately didn't post anything along those lines as I didn't want to come across as arrogant or gloaty (yes, I actually do take criticism from posts and run with it, no matter how rude or snarky it may be) but since you bring it up...

They all work the same. Looking at the prints, it's all the same two-dimensional structure onto which the artwork will be applied. Unless there's some need for relief to give it some depth, it's all the same to manufacture. That is, assuming those radii are for the structure and not some sort of envelope, which I doubt as you can clearly see the rider's knee sticking out beyond the space.

So yeah, don't really know because I do admit I'm not an expert but if I'm reading those prints right, it's all the same unless there's relief to the graphic.