Best family coaster in England?

Best family rollercoaster in England?

• Big dipper ( Blackpool)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Th13teen ( Alton Towers)

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Green Scream ( Southend)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The flight of the pterosaur ( Paultons)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Vampire ( Chessington)

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Excellarator ( Ben10) ( Drayton Manor)

• Flying fish ( Thorpe park)

• Ultimate ( Lightwater Valley)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Hero ( Flamingo Land)

• Fantasy mouse ( Fantasy Island, Skegness)

• Wickerman ( Alton Towers)

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Dragon's Fury ( Chessington)

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Avalanche

• The runaway mine train ( Alton Towers)

• Total voters

INfusionBPBrules!

Roller Poster
As a fan of my family rollercoasters, I thought I'd put up a poll on the subject. I've gone for the top nine parks in England, so which is the best family ride out there?. Like my previous poll, please feel free to put suggestions forward that otherwise haven't being mentioned. Personal fav for me is Vampire at Chessi. Love that coaster! The Vekoma trains suit it so well IMO.

Will

Strata Poster
Ultimate's the best coaster on that list, but I'm not certain I'd call it a family ride if not for its height restriction. It's really not for the faint of heart...

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
That's an interesting question, mainly because there isn't much of significance in the family coaster bracket in the UK. Dragon's Fury at Chessington probably takes it for me, with honourable mentions going to Vampire at Chessington, and Flight of the Pterosaur at Paultons.

It's a shame actually, as I'd much rather ride a good, fun, family oriented coaster where everything comes together well, rather than the poor excuses for "thrill" coasters that we've been getting in the UK lately. Unfortunately, most UK parks seem to be about as good at building good family attractions as they are at building thrill ones :(. Thumbs up to Paultons for the best new family coasters I've seen over here in a long while.

I do wonder whether some of these polls would benefit from an "other" option, as inevitably someone will have something obscure and unexpected as a favourite.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Call it nostalgia but I'm still voting for Vampire. Thirteen is also excellent as a family cred. Both have gothic themes and although, technically, Thirteen does more, Vampire has the way cooler soundtrack. Strong mention of Flight of the Pterosaur, also.

INfusionBPBrules!

Roller Poster
That's an interesting question, mainly because there isn't much of significance in the family coaster bracket in the UK. Dragon's Fury at Chessington probably takes it for me, with honourable mentions going to Vampire at Chessington, and Flight of the Pterosaur at Paultons.

It's a shame actually, as I'd much rather ride a good, fun, family oriented coaster where everything comes together well, rather than the poor excuses for "thrill" coasters that we've been getting in the UK lately. Unfortunately, most UK parks seem to be about as good at building good family attractions as they are at building thrill ones :(. Thumbs up to Paultons for the best new family coasters I've seen over here in a long while.

I do wonder whether some of these polls would benefit from an "other" option, as inevitably someone will have something obscure and unexpected as a favourite.
Very good reply.
Your choice for the poll is on the option list as is " other" which is really a good suggestion and I will take that on board for future polls.
Glad you acknowledged Vampire there. A 1990 Arrow classic which is a lot more thrilling that it's counterpart " The big one" at BPB ( IMO of course).
Again, like you say it is important we have smooth " inferior" rides out there rather than the " headbashers" we've got.
I'm a annual pass holder at Chessi so done Dragon's Fury a fair few times and yep, it's a fairly good ride. Better than Spinball Whizzer at Towers I reckon.
It's funny that you mention Paulton' s Park. I'm visiting it on Friday as it's a new park for me. Will give me chance to do the Vekoma Goodness and really see if The Flight of the Pterosaur IS a better ride than Vampire.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I can't vote for this list (Haven't been to England yet!), but why the frick is Hero at Flamingo Land on this list? 1: It's a flying coaster and 2: It's a fricking Volare!

However, both Wicker Man and Ultimate look like great family thrill coasters!

vaugc002

Mega Poster
@Mysterious Sue I'm thinking on the same track to you tbh - although for me Thirteen pips it just for having a bit more variety. Agreed both are standout in this comparison tho :)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Dragon's Fury is my pick. It's got the chaos of Maurer spinners, with the added feeling of going on an adventure across the park.
Interesting potential debate here about how you'd classify family coaster. Th-thirteen-teen is themed/marketed towards adults but is blatantly family in ride intensity, while The Ultimate has the opposite problem (cute little plastic trains). My favourite of your list is The Ultimate but would never consider it a family coaster

nadroJ

CF Legend
God, we have quite a lot of really good family coasters don’t we?

I’m saying Vampire, and that’s purely for nostalgic reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Feel like Fury is the better coaster, but Thirteen is best complete package out of all that. (Wicker notwithstanding)

Wouldn't subject family to the brutality of Ultimate. Took me a lot of experience to learn to like it.

Peet

Giga Poster
I agree with Will - The Ultimate is the best ride listed (I have a real soft spot for it), but a family ride it is not.

The Wicker Man takes this for me, a brilliant fun coaster that even hardened thrill seekers could ride all day, and the theme is a cut above the rest too.

Matt N

CF Legend
Even though Wicker Man is listed, and I do prefer Wicker Man to any of the others on that list (it's in my top 10!), I wouldn't personally call it a family coaster, despite the 1.2m height restriction and seemingly low stats. I would class it as a thrill ride with a 1.2m height restriction, personally, even though 42 coasters probably isn't enough to make a judgement based on! So for that reason, I've voted for Thirteen. It's great fun, the drop actually has some really good airtime if you are sat towards the back, the backwards section and drop are great, it's incredibly smooth considering it's now 8 years old; it's just great for the families! Contrary to popular opinion, I actually find the outdoor section pretty fun as well!

Will

Strata Poster
Until I read that recent trip report, I had never realised that Flying Fish and Scorpion Express were the same ride. Minus 10 goon points for Will...

Also, I've switched my vote to Dragon's Fury, which is probably one of the 5 best coasters in the UK. The Ultimate continuing to not really be a family ride :)

v It was indeed :) I've not been to CWOA since the 'retheme 'to Scorpion Express and never noticed it when the mountain facade thing was still there.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Until I read that recent trip report, I had never realised that Flying Fish and Scorpion Express were the same ride. Minus 10 goon points for Will...
Mine? If it is mine, then I'm very flattered that I taught you something!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Mine? If it is mine, then I'm very flattered that I taught you something!

Make that 2 - I didn't know they were the same ride either.

As for the poll, T'Ultimate and Wicker Dude are my personal favourites out of that lot. By quite a margin actually.
Maybe a bit intense for family coasters... but they're in the poll so I voted for 'em.
If Alton's Runaway Train was in the poll, I'd probably vote for that too.
Hang on a minute... why isn't it in the poll? o_O

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'd also say Avalanche is one of the better family coasters in the UK, can we add that to the list? Come to think of it, is Avalanche one of the more overlooked UK coasters? It's always pretty rammed with families whenever I visit but enthusiasts never really give it much love.