What's new

Silver Dollar City | Time Traveler | Mack Looping Launched Spinner

davidm

Strata Poster
^ I thought that initially, but then the second video (when you can see the cars) they are slowly rotating on the second launch - or maybe the second launch is a lot tamer?

Lofty

CF Legend
I think the stop is there so the cars have time to align with the track before the train launches. The cars don't appear to spin during the launch, so they are probably locked to one direction to avoid uncomfortable laterals.
Pretty sure from the beginning it's been stated that there was meant to be a show scene there but it got cut due to budgetary requirements...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^ I thought that initially, but then the second video (when you can see the cars) they are slowly rotating on the second launch - or maybe the second launch is a lot tamer?

Yeah, that's the hitch in the theory, combined with what @Lofty said above. It could be that the second launch is a lot tamer, but... so would the first launch be if it was a rolling launch and not a launch from a standstill.

EDIT: The POV of the ride from CF's own YouTube channel proved me wrong. It may indeed go sideways on the first launch as well.

Last edited:

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The pacing is ****ing horrendous. Nobody can deny that. The rest of the ride could be an out of body experience, but pacing is so vital, see TC and that second lift.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dar

Hyper Poster
Some of those near misses look pretty good, especially the support over the second launch.

I'd ride it just for that transition after the vertical loop tbh

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It looks decent and fun, but my days it'd look SO much better if it didn't stop before the first launch. Such a shame </3

Hopefully we see more of these pop up over the next few years. There's tonnes of potential with the concept, which I'd love to see realised.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
After having seen this I still wish it had been a more regular Mack Launched coaster, that said aside from the horrible pacing of the stop, it doesn't look too bad, just sad for what I imagine it could've been.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
If you think of the stop as a "pause in time", and then you accelrate forwards in time, I don't think it'll be that bad? As long as you are spinninga bit, I don't think it'll bother many people.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I imagine a 'stop on time's would have been the point of the show scene if it wasn't cut. But it's not really good for a coaster that you have to imagine a non-existent scene to justify it, really?

And if the above POV is anything to go by, it doesn't look like you're spinning much at the stop. I could almost understand it if it was for a breather mid-ride, but it's too soon in the ride for it..

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Stop in time? Sorry that's absolute bollocks.
Thing is, if they had kept all the theming and that launch did have some sort of show which explained the stop (and subsequent launch) it wouldn't be as bad. I can believe that's why the launch track is configured like that. If that was the case, some sort of "time jump" is plausible - you are riding in a time machine, after all.

I'm surprised that given the show was spited, they didn't just make it a rolling launch.

Lofty

CF Legend
Oh absolutely. If the narrative was there, the theming was there, the actual show scene was there, I'd get it - much akin to FireChaser Express' mid-way show scene, but it's not. There's absolutely no way on earth they can justify and portray a 'stop in time' by temporarily pausing the train in the open with absolutely nothing happening.

I'm extremely shocked that it's actually passed the final sign-off like this and that there wasn't a way to rewrite the scripting of the controls to be able to bypass the halt altogether.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Oh absolutely. If the narrative was there, the theming was there, the actual show scene was there, I'd get it - much akin to FireChaser Express' mid-way show scene, but it's not. There's absolutely no way on earth they can justify and portray a 'stop in time' by temporarily pausing the train in the open with absolutely nothing happening.

I'm extremely shocked that it's actually passed the final sign-off like this and that there wasn't a way to rewrite the scripting of the controls to be able to bypass the halt altogether.
I agree, I'm gutted as I thought this would be decent, but trimmed drop, stop mid ride, weak launches and poor spinning, just such a letdown. Edit - based on vids, could be fab, I'll let you know in 12 weeks.
They also probably looked at throughput and decided a 5 second stop(10 second overall delay) mid ride will be preferable to stacking hence not changing it. I'd prefer to be stacked.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Silver dollar city is one of my bucket list parks. But the theaming or lack thereof is a bit of a joke here tbh! it either needs theaming corrcectly or re-programming! nothing in between will do

Pear

Strata Poster
I'd assume that they'd probably add the show building in the off season or sometime in the near future and the speakers are just a placeholder for now.

Or maybe I'm putting too much faith in them.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
I'd assume that they'd probably add the show building in the off season or sometime in the near future and the speakers are just a placeholder for now.

Or maybe I'm putting too much faith in them.
Lets hope so, as it stands at the moment it's like a car park coaster only worse..

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So is this not the world's longest spinning coaster, because SDC doesn't seem to have claimed that record. It's just that I cant think of any spinning coasters that would be longer than this.

And Thunderation is longer than Time Traveler by 2ft, which I think is kind of funny.