What's new

Are there any bad Schwarzkopfs?

Gazza

Giga Poster
Something I was pondering in the lead up to my trip to Germany....Are there any bad Schwarzkopf coasters?
I don't think I've ridden one I didn't enjoy or found uncomfortable...

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Worst I've got down is the thing at Skyline. Not bad as such, just a Zyklon / Galaxi that doesn't feel like it's falling apart. Haven't yet decided if that makes it better.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I am a fan of them but the worst one I've done is the one at pleasurewood hills. Not done a wildcat though.

Will

Strata Poster
I've only done 11 (plus Munich Looping and Alpinabahn) - the worst were Nigloland's old Bobsleigh and the thing at Pleasurewood with awful capacity, so none were awful as such.
They're mostly a bit 'meh' by modern standards, but get extra love because some (Knightmare, Magnum Force etc.) are forceful with decent restraints - or just out of nostalgia. I think all the Wildcat type models I've met have been Pinfaris.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
No, they're all fantastic!

Actually that's not true, the Jet Star models are a bit meh. The Black Hole was good cos it was in a big dark tent, but I was never a fan of The Beast(s).
But all the others are fantastic.

jayjay

Giga Poster
They're nothing like the worst, but one or two are definitely rough. The fact that they're classic and almost universally solid wins it though.

Matt N

CF Legend
Would you guys say that Schwarzkopf in the 70's and 80's were like B&M were in the 90's and Mack/RMC seem to be now? By that I mean; were they the quality steel roller coaster manufacturer that all the top parks were rushing towards? B&M are still a quality manufacturer and still by far my favourite manufacturer, but the number of new coasters built by them has definitely decreased in recent years. Actually, I think a better way to put it is that B&M's share of the new coaster market has decreased in recent years, with companies like Mack and RMC ruling the roost. Anyway, before I turn this into a B&M discussion, the point I'm trying to get across is that Schwarzkopf seem like they were the B&M of their era.

Last edited:

Jared

Hyper Poster
I think the reason B&Ms market share of new coasters has lowered slightly is not so much that they aren’t wanted, I think it’s more a case of Wooden Coasters being more of a draw lately. Theme Parks to me are like schools and they go through phases where a certain type of toy becomes popular and wanted. I think it’s more that RMC is at the top of the must have list.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'd also say that the rise of Mack as a thrill ride manufacturer may have played a part.

Anyway, I've never actually ridden any Schwarzkopfs, so I can't make a judgement on whether any are bad or not.

Lofty

CF Legend
Literally what Gavin wrote - I don't think any of them are particularly good? They're all pretty forgettable.

Peet

Giga Poster
Olympia Looping is anything but forgettable! Very intense and quite smooth. Lisebergbanan, Knightmare and Jetline are all excellent. I've only had one ride on a shuttle loop (Turbine) and that was great too. I would say Revolution at Magic Mountain isn't great, but it's just dated, not "bad". And the Jet Star 2 (Black Hole) and Wildcat (Rat/Raptor) that I've been on are decent fun family coasters.
So based on my experience I'm going to say no there aren't any bad ones!

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
I've done SuperDooperLooper and Scorpion and liked both of them. I think if you take them for what they are they can be enjoyable. Perhaps if you ride more of them they become less interesting, but I don't think any of them would actually be bad.