What's new

Phantasialand - Old rumours/ unbuilt attractions

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Despite visiting Phantasialand for the first time last Autumn, I've been keeping an eye on the parks development for years, and always considered it one of the most exciting and unique parks around, with each development pretty much hitting the nail on the head with originality.

Anyway occasionally I was in the habit of copying and pasting design proposals and rumours (especially if they where thematically descriptive) usually from Screamscape - who aren't always known for there accuracy - however, it has always been a great resource as a 'go to all' for whats happening in the park world!

Anyway the other day I came across the word document I'd copied and pasted some of these descriptions into, and thought Id share two descriptions for two 'Speculated' attractions at Phantasialand Circa 2004-2007 (before and around the development of Black Mamba).

These are exact copy and pastes.....What I love is how descriptive they are (hense why I saved them):-

2007 - Unknown Project - (6/18/04) Sources tell us that the next big plan
for the park won't open until 2007 to coincide with the 40th Anniversary of
the park. Along with the plans for the P1 site, we've heard that an all new
main gate area will be built and could be open in time for the 2005 season
to allow for the 2007 project to move forward. As for the ride itself, this
rumor claims it will be a combination dark ride and coaster with no
inversions but three launch zones, and one backwards section of track. The
story, so far, is about traveling through an old haunted building past
ghosts, animatronics and projected effects. You'll slowly climb a staircase
to encounter ghosts at the top pushing a large table down the stairs at
you... where you will kick off the backwards section of the ride and via a
track switch, you'll take a short wild ride through the building until you
end up in a dark room full of spider webs. The train will rotate on a
turntable towards a big fireplace with an empty rocking chair moving back
and forth. As you face the chair a ghost appears, laughs at you, and boom...
you launch through the fireplace through a tunnel full of false fire
effects. You'll end up in a haunted kitchen next before the final coaster
portion of the ride kicks into gear within a huge greenhouse where you will
exit the ride, leaving the empty cars to venture back into the building for
the next load of riders. So far the cars will be small, said to only hold 8
riders so far, but the ride will be large enough to use up to 20 of these
cars at one time. So far the park is still seeking building permission for
the ride, but they should get their answer before the summer is over.

From the description this sounds very much like a combination of Curse of Darkastle at BG Williamsburg (which opened in 2005- so dates match) and Revenge of the mummy at Universal! (which opened in 2004 - again similar period)....but thematically set in Disney's Haunted Mansion!

The Second unbuilt ride was:-

Dark Thrill Ride - Rumor - (6/1/07) The latest gossip says that this project has been pushed back for redevelopment. Seems the plans would have required the demolition of the Silverado Theatre to make room and they have reconsidered.
(5/7/07) The timeline here is only a guess at this point, but we’ve heard a popular idea being tossed around, canceled and possibly brought back to life was the idea of an Africa themed Jeep Safari dark ride adventure. Apparently the idea was born after riding both Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens Tampa and the wonderful Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. From the sound of things, riders would climb aboard jeeps to go on a quest for a mystical diamond. Rival treasure hunters make chase and turn your jungle safari into a high speed adventure where you eventually lose them, discover the hidden jungle temple and drive inside to find the diamond. Of course, in classic Indiana Jones fashion the temple begins to self-destruct and the ride is on again as you attempt to escape, which apparently involves a final escape route down a small river and over a waterfall. Our source did manage to capture a piece of artwork showing off one of the Jeep’s on the edge of this very waterfall, where you can also see the hidden coaster track under the water. Sounds like fun to me, but certainly an expensive ride and one that will certainly have to use some cutting edge technology as well. Getting a little too cutting edge has burned the park before in the case of the Winjas coasters that were delayed a whole season, so time will tell if they are willing to experiment again.

I REMEMBER seeing concept art on the above mentioned attraction - wish I'd saved that! I also remember a vague concept sketch for the other haunted house coaster attraction.

I remember thinking both these attractions sounded EPIC! and still do, they both seem VERY Phantasialand! tonally. Screamscape removed these rumours years ago! I don't know where the rumours would have come from or if there was any truth in either of them!

Does anyone else remember any epic sounding rumours-that-never-were (aside from Disney that has whole books worth of never-wheres)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I came across an article from 2005 or so a while back, after TusenFryd had just announced SpeedMonster. Liseberg's CEO was asked to comment on their rival's plans, and responded: "We have big plans. It will be bigger and better than SpeedMonster". Later in the article: "We will have the best, but not necessarily the biggest. What counts is the experience." (the article is all in Norwegian, by the way).

As we all know, Helix certainly fits all those descriptions. But Helix opened in 2014, nine years later. Even with the fairly long project periods for large coasters, it is unlikely to be the same project. But between 2003 and 2014, Liseberg only opened two small kiddy coasters. So at some point, the park had planned something big, which never came to be. I wonder what that would have been like?

A shame loefet isn't around here any more, he'd probably know a lot more.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The Second unbuilt ride was:-
Dark Thrill Ride - Rumor - (6/1/07) The latest gossip says that this project has been pushed back for redevelopment. Seems the plans would have required the demolition of the Silverado Theatre to make room and they have reconsidered.
(5/7/07) The timeline here is only a guess at this point, but we’ve heard a popular idea being tossed around, canceled and possibly brought back to life was the idea of an Africa themed Jeep Safari dark ride adventure. Apparently the idea was born after riding both Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens Tampa and the wonderful Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. From the sound of things, riders would climb aboard jeeps to go on a quest for a mystical diamond. Rival treasure hunters make chase and turn your jungle safari into a high speed adventure where you eventually lose them, discover the hidden jungle temple and drive inside to find the diamond. Of course, in classic Indiana Jones fashion the temple begins to self-destruct and the ride is on again as you attempt to escape, which apparently involves a final escape route down a small river and over a waterfall. Our source did manage to capture a piece of artwork showing off one of the Jeep’s on the edge of this very waterfall, where you can also see the hidden coaster track under the water. Sounds like fun to me, but certainly an expensive ride and one that will certainly have to use some cutting edge technology as well. Getting a little too cutting edge has burned the park before in the case of the Winjas coasters that were delayed a whole season, so time will tell if they are willing to experiment again.
THIS.
I want this ride in Phantasialand so much. Exactly the sort of modern exciting family dark ride the park really needs. And the Africa area could do with another ride.

Also that Theatre needs demolishing its still Western themed, the back of it looks like a warehouse, the pathway between it and Tikal to Colorado Adventure it is too small for the crowds these days and the rockwork front looks rather unrealistic compared to the modern rocks elsewhere in the park.
Honestly I'd prefer it they'd remodel this area first - giving Colorado its long rumoured + overdue new Mexican theming and build this African dark ride - and then replace Hollywood Tour and Temple of the Nighthawk (the rumoured next project).

Thanks for sharing these. I always find stories of unbuild attractions interesting.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
THIS.
I want this ride in Phantasialand so much. Exactly the sort of modern exciting family dark ride the park really needs. And the Africa area could do with another ride.

Also that Theatre needs demolishing its still Western themed, the back of it looks like a warehouse, the pathway between it and Tikal to Colorado Adventure it is too small for the crowds these days and the rockwork front looks rather unrealistic compared to the modern rocks elsewhere in the park.
Honestly I'd prefer it they'd remodel this area first - giving Colorado its long rumoured + overdue new Mexican theming and build this African dark ride - and then replace Hollywood Tour and Temple of the Nighthawk (the rumoured next project).

Thanks for sharing these. I always find stories of unbuild attractions interesting.

I know - it would have been A-MAZE-ING - however even if they demolish the stadium, I don't think they have the space now - this plan was BEFORE Hotel Matumba was built - which has taken up much of the space this ride would have needed in that corner of the park!

toofpikk

Mega Poster
There was a rumour floating around 10 years ago, right around when Mamba was made about a B&M Flyer. It used to float around another forum I'm on a lot right before the development of Taron. I can't find the concept art but it was very crystal wings-esque, but some argued the tower looked like that of Black Mambas and it was likely that it was probably just an alternative design for that.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
There was a rumour floating around 10 years ago, right around when Mamba was made about a B&M Flyer. It used to float around another forum I'm on a lot right before the development of Taron. I can't find the concept art but it was very crystal wings-esque, but some argued the tower looked like that of Black Mambas and it was likely that it was probably just an alternative design for that.

Yes I remember that - I think before Black Mamba was confirmed the rumours were that it was going to be a b&m flyer as apposed to the inverted that it ended up being.......And now we're getting a flyer anyway.... albeit a very different theme

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As for other parks (the title specifies Phantasialand, but the OP asks for other examples too), Toverland is the king of these things, I think. Or at least a grand duke of cancellations.

In 2008 or so, they were rumoured to get a slightly modified Batman clone. It got to the stage of blueprints being shown, then... nothing. The relevant CF thread has unfortunately been lost to time.

Then in 2009, news arrived of a coaster coming in 2010. It was announced by the park director on Dutch TV. The investment was said to be €12 m, a hefty sum for a mid-size park. People were speculating about a B&M, in light of the recent Batman clone story. Then it was said to not be a coaster per se, but more of a Mack SuperSplash. It was postponed until 2011, then dropped altogether. But a Mack Spinning Coaster called Dwervelwind was built in 2012, hardly anything like the rumours ever said. The investment sum was not disclosed, but it's a clone of Twist at Le Pal, which Wikipedia states to have cost €3.9 m.

Come summer of 2012, and new rumours about the next big coaster, due to arrive in 2015. A Mega coaster of unknown make and model, to be precise, to the tune of €20 m. CF was quickly on the ball. Once again park officials were out in the media, with the park director stating that a lot of the money would go towards themeing. 2015 came and went, and Toverland built nothing. They did replace their Bobkart ride, however. It probably didn't cost €20 m.

At some point (2014 or so?) a hotel was announced. It still isn't built. I can't find the source for it, though.

And now they have announced a B&M Wing Coaster. It will come in 2018, they say. CF has a thread for it. However, there has been no official announcement detailing the nature of the ride, nor have B&M made any comments. Neither CF nor TPR has had any construction updates on the ride. This time, I'll remain on the fence until the coaster is actually open.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
On the topic of unbuilt Phantasialand projects while reading on PhantaFriends.de about the park's expansion plan I came across this detailed proposal to make the park larger and more of a resort from 2008. The local government didn't approve them and the plans have been shelved but it's interesting to see what might have been.

61b2710cfb05b29f7047ba694fd1db1f.jpg

Multifunctional theater
The seating capacity is between 3,000 and 6,000 visitors. There will be a show program for the day visitors as well as exclusive evening shows and special events. In order to ensure the weather-independent operation of the theater outside the normal opening hours, Parkdecks are set up next to the theater and concert hall.

Playground
Due to the limited space available, the Phantasialand offers little space for children to play and romp. Therefore, a sufficiently large and varied playground is to be designed.

Picnic Area
A considerable part of the visitors bring their own meals. Currently, the Phantasialand does not have a picnic area, because the old picnic area was replaced with a hotel. In addition to the quality of the play, for the erection, as well as for the specific location in the extension area, safety aspects also play a role, since brought along carts, bags and rucksacks are left unattended and represent a potential risk.

Campsite
There is a lack of adequate and modern pitches for tents and mobile homes, which is a disadvantage compared to other competitors.

Hotel
The new hotel is planned as a further "Erlebnishotel" with its own thematization. Due to its planned location in the park, guests do not have to leave the amusement park during their stay or meeting, which contributes to a significant increase in the recreational value during the stay.

Edutainment offer
Conception and topics of two edutainment offers are coordinated with the different target groups and the duration of the visitors. On the one hand, the "Edutainment complex" at the new hotel during the season forms part of the leisure park and outside of the season a supplementary offer of the hotel. This also includes a "plant house" for garden and nature lovers, in which the connections of nature and landscape, the flora and fauna as well as the geological features of the brown coal area are to be experienced. From the "Edutainment complex" the "Edutainment Center", which is planned exclusively as an attraction for the leisure park visitors. An element will be the "Science Center", where visitors and visitors will be introduced to technical and scientific connections through their own playful experimentation.

Water park
The Aquapark is to offer varied entertainment in and around the water and is aimed at hotel guests, campers, other short-term tourists as well as visitors to the leisure park. It closes a gap in the entertainment offer on hot summer days and increases the attractiveness for short holidays/stays.

House of Action
Here entertainment is to be offered without large machines (rides). The visitors themselves have to be active in order to experience something.

Open-air theater
A complement to the show performances in the existing enclosed premises. This allows open-air events to be offered in the summer, while at the same time offering greater flexibility in the design of stage effects.

Arena of Sports
The arena opens up the theme of "sport" for the leisure park. A combination of indoor and outdoor offers is planned, in which the visitors can actively experience extraordinary experiences of the performance athletes. Furthermore, new or well-known sports can exercise and learn, or be entertained by them.

Rapid theme park attraction - Large Wooden Rollercoaster
According to the present state of the planning a so-called "Holzachterbahn", which is clearly different from a steel coaster in the ride experience.

Other Theme park attractions
Real audience magnets. Their exact type (rapid, interactive, etc.) has not yet been determined.​

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Feng Ju Palace and River Quest - not quite unbuilt attractions but for both these rides the original plans did not materialise.

Firstly a bit of background - in May 2001 as the result of a cable fire the Gebirgsbahn and Grand Canyon Bahn coasters burnt down. The old 70s fake rock theming caught fire and the fire quickly spread destroying part of the Western Town and the Tanagra Theatre in China Town resulting in 38 million DM of property damage. (The park had also just invested in modernising the technical systems of the coasters the year before.)
The park shut for 15 days afterwards as any old flammable material was removed and 2 million euros was invested in fire protection features across the park. The opening of Wuze Town and Winjas Fear & Force that summer was postponed to 2002, as was construction of the park's first hotel (eventually opened in 2003 as Hotel PhantASIA, today Ling Bao Hotel).
The park wanted to replace the buildings that were destroyed as quickly as possible. Both River Quest (replacing the Gebirgsbahn) and Feng Ju Palace (replacing the Tanagra Theatre) opened in the summer of 2002. However the initial plans for both attractions were too ambitious for what the park could afford at the time and their budgets were cut.

River Quest would have featured more theming (As anyone who rode it pre-Klugheim may remember the upper level of the ride ended up being bare concrete - earning it the affectionate nickname 'multi-storey car park rapids'), multiple water falls, pathways through the castle and the entrance would have been located next to Mystery Castle's.
56605544a8fb0_rqunterschied1.thumb.jpg.b5e549dfe7c80936185e99fdcc6d7720.jpg

Water falls along the roundel after the third drop. The catchment basins for these waterfalls exist today but the pumps were never built in.
566055b16a27f_rqunterschied2.thumb.jpg.7ad75acdaaade617f0b36f9ad7e1764c.jpg

River Quest was also going to feature a 'trick track' trapdoor section - which was actually built and exists to this day however the TUV (health and safety) would not sign it off unless the boats had restraints.
Boats would have come to a stop (held by the stoppers marked in red) and then the trap door element - you would have fallen down, albeit sideways like a seesaw. Boats would then continue along. Today the mechanism remains folded up and serves as a normal drop (the ride's 3rd and final one).
e0d5c5ea4e19d2067e4da1aad9096093.thumb.jpg.3be86b87c4fc871ad3c7357d4be3ef97.jpg

(C) Bild: Borusse30 - PhantaFriends.de
post-28-0-01315700-1417114409_thumb.jpg

Feng Ju Palace

A company called NOB Décor created the original concept for Feng Ju Palace, called ‘Thunder Temple’. In this concept, the story and design would have revolved around five gods (representing the five Chinese cardinal points or elements) that lived and ruled in harmony until a sixth god came along and abducted one of them. The other four gods then set out to rescue him.
The preshow would have been similar to the one that exists today with the four statues (gods) in each corner. However the actual show was allegedly going to be one of the most innovative and spectacular mad houses ever featuring water, fog and laser effects. The large pots in the centre of the room were originally intended for catching water from the rain effects (A thunder storm would have been simulated). Today the middle pot simply houses the projector for the current show’s finale.
tempel.jpg
Source: http://themeparkfreaks.eu/de-geschiedenis-van-phantasialand/
The park took the decision to scrap the original concept and create their own story and lower budget show which is the Feng Ju Palace that exists today.

Given that River Quest has now after all these years been improved and fully themed as part of the Klugheim project, presumably Feng Ju Palace will receive some attention when the China is refurbished and Geister Rikscha replaced. It would be nice if they could borrow some ideas from the original concept.

The question also remains; given that the space theme was removed in 2001 to fit with Wuze Town was more theming ever planned for Temple of the Nighthawk and in the aftermath of the fire the plans were scrapped? We'll probably never know.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Wow, both those original designs are incredible! Such a shame they didn't follow through with the mad house ideas. It's currently one of the weaker rides at the park and all those effects could have raised it up to the typical Phantasialand level IMO.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
THIS.

I totally agree with you. A darkride would fit in the Deep in Africa area instead of the arena.

I guess now the fantasy area will get a refurbishment first before Rookburgh opens the doors. After that they'll refurbish the China & Mexico area. Maybe they could retheme China Town so it could become a part of Mystery.

I hope they'll also put the queue from Colorado Adventure behind tikal so that whole area where the queue is atm can be used for the China area. Then Mexico and China Town are very well separated. At the same time they can do something about the rockwork and the back of the theater.

When Rookburgh opens, they may demolish ToTNH and HT in my opinion. It would makes the park looking better until it would be replaced by a new attraction.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
When Rookburgh opens, they may demolish ToTNH and HT in my opinion. It would makes the park looking better until it would be replaced by a new attraction.

Isn't Geister Rikscha supposed to be the next attraction to be removed from the park? I have a soft spot for both Temple and Hollywood Tour, so would love it if they weren't next in the firing line.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ I thought the next step was to redevelop both Temple of the ****ehawk and Hollywood Boat Tour? Saying that, we don't actually know yet, it's all speculative.

I do hope they theme up Colorado Adventure's queue line, because it's a ****ing mess, let's face it.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Isn't the reason that ****ehawk continually gets a pass the fact that the building houses their evening dinner show, and they don't have a suitable replacement yet?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^ I thought the next step was to redevelop both Temple of the :emoji_poop:ehawk and Hollywood Boat Tour? Saying that, we don't actually know yet, it's all speculative.

I do hope they theme up Colorado Adventure's queue line, because it's a :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing mess, let's face it.
Yeah at the moment its all speculation.
The only thing that we can be sure of is that Geister Rikscha, Temple of the Nighthawk and Hollywood Tour will all be removed in the near future.

We know the China area will be refurbished/modernised, and it is rumoured/speculated that a refurb of Feng Ju Palace and Colorado Adventure (new entrance, queue, refurbed station + new theming around the layout) will be part of this project.

Question is what will happen first? The China project or replacing Temple & Hollywood.
I think it goes without saying that Temple & Hollywood do not fit into the park at all. And Geister is in a far better condition than Hollywood Tour (although that didn't save Silbermine). So it really should be them on the chopping block next. I really want it to be them next.

However standing in the way of their removal is as @Dar pointed out Fantissima, the park's dinner show. (and for all we know there may be other factors for removing Geister first) It was planned to move Fantissima into a new venue as part of the park's expansion plans but so far they have been unsuccessful in getting the land for the expansion. Removing Geister first would give some more time to relocate the show or build a new revenue elsewhere. (Perhaps Silverado Theatre will be spited and replaced with a new entrance and queue for Colorado, and a new theatre for Fantissima - which as it is part of the resort offering would be then ideally located between the two hotels)

However the sign teasing Rookburgh mentions "experiences by day & night" - there are numerous theories for what this means but one theory is that Fantissima will move into a new venue in Rookburgh, therefore paving the way for Temple and Hollywood to be removed next.

But yeah as said at the start it's all speculation at the moment. We'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Also it's interesting to note that Temple of the Nighthawk and Hollywood Tour are the only attractions that don't have their own pages on the Phantasialand website and haven't for a number of years. They are merely listed as a footnote on the family attractions page. Previously the only other ride without its own page on the website was Race for Atlantis.

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Thanks for sharing about Feng Ju. It's such a shame, as the whole story at the moment doesn't suit a madhouse in my opinion, and they don't really use the effects that well - the original plan sounded pretty much bang on though! Also +1 for wanting trap door on River Quest...I'm sure any stains on underwear would be cleaned by the splash on the last drop...

Personally, I hope that Geister Rikscha / China is the next for major redevelopment, just because (purely selfishly) I actually enjoy Hollywood enough to want to see it around for a couple more years. But at the same time, the park could probably do a lot more with that building than the China area, so I wouldn't mind seeing that spited sooner rather than later.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
Screenshot_20180310-004750.png

About the redevelopment of the Colorado Adventure area & China Town:

A rumour that I've read months ago and which wouldn't be unusual at all when it comes to demolishing and replacing attractions, because we've seen in the past that Phantasialand isn't afraid to make big changes, is that they'll transform the whole China area into another theme to fit the Mystery area of the park.

If wouldn't surprise me to be honest and I'll tell you why.

When we have a look at China Town, Especially to Fen Ju Palace. It's been themed with rocks from Klugheim all around the building and it doesn't fit in my opinion. That makes China Town doesn't come to its fullest 360° believable experience.

This makes it logical for me to integrate the whole area into Mystery. (blue delineated on the first picture above)

When we have look at Colorado Adventure, there are possibilities to separate Mexiko completely from the China area. Just move the queue line under the station building (in red on that picture above) and make the entrance where the orange dot is. The exit can be moved to the extension-queue line and current entrance under the rocks of the Silverado Theatre (green line).

It would make all the areas looking uncluttered when they would be separated in "straight blocks".

I've been making a quick overview of my own expectations and my personally necessary additions to the park, which you can see on my map below. I know it's messy and there will be grammar mistakes etc in it but you'll get it. Screenshot_20180310-145109.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180310-145533.png
    Screenshot_20180310-145533.png
    628.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20180310-145922.png
    Screenshot_20180310-145922.png
    441.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Jared

Hyper Poster
The biggest issue with that is Hotel Ling-Bao being Chinese themed. It would stick out like a sore thumb, unless of course they plan to retheme the hotel, which considering the design, roofs and structures would be a huge undertaking.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Wasn't the most plausible rumour that the China area and Ling Bao will be themed to a Tibetan village? Hopefully this will happen but obviously we won't know for years I guess. I think expanding Mystery into China would be a mistake tbh, Mystery/Klugheim are big enough I'd say.