What's new

Lakemont Park, Leap The Dips Closed in 2017-18 for Renovations

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Lakemont Park has announced plans to remain closed throughout 2017 for major renovations to the park.
Lakemont Park's Facebook Page said:
LAKEMONT PARK TO UNDERGO RENOVATIONS
DURING SUMMER OF 2017

Lakemont Park will be closed for renovations during the summer of 2017, but will reopen on Friday, November 17, 2017 for the 21st Annual Holiday Lights On The Lake. Due to the significant time it takes to set-up for Holiday Lights On The Lake in the fall and tear down in the late Winter-early Spring, any significant renovations that are necessary must be done during the summer season, so as not to interfere with this popular holiday tradition. For the safety of the Lakemont Park guests and staff, the Park will not be able to remain open during the renovations.

Changes planned for Lakemont Park include replacing some of the older amusement rides with a new miniature golf course, batting cages, playgrounds, basketball and sand volleyball courts, and expanded picnic areas, while keeping and enhancing attractions, such as the waterpark, paddle boats, train, roller coasters, antique cars, and go-karts.

These changes will give Lakemont Park the feel of a traditional community park, as well as a family entertainment center. It will also make the park affordable to all guests, as admission will be free and attractions will be available on a per use basis and in discounted packages. There will be food concessions, as well as picnic pavilions and catering for groups. Special events will be planned, such as basketball and volleyball tournaments, as well as July 4th fireworks and more. The Park will be open daily from late May through early September beginning in 2018.

Additional details will be made available throughout the renovation process.

This will make Wild One at Six Flags America the oldest operating roller coaster in the United States as well for 2017.

While the park will hold on to major attractions, including Leap the Dips (world's oldest roller coaster), Skyliner, and Tobaggan. Other, minor flat rides will be removed however to make way for new addition.

https://www.altoonamirror.com/news/local-news/2017/04/judge-signs-off-on-lakemont-plans/

davidm

Strata Poster
"but will reopen on Friday, November 17, 2017" - so thats not closed throughout 2017 then.

Not good news for the place though, any bets on it never reopening? (and then your headline would be right ;) )

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Really sad about this. Leap the Dips has been on my bucket list for years and I was finally hoping to pick it up this year. Love me a classic woodie. :(

Snoo

The Legend
I will say that Leap the Dips is insanity. Had such a fun time there a few years back. Very happy we got to ride it. I do feel that the park will be fine. The place could have used some TLC to spruce it up a bit.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
It’s now March of 2018 — is there still no official news on this? I have seen statements many months ago — official assurances that selling off some rides doesn’t mean closing the park, etc., but do we still not have official word on a re-opening for the ‘18 season?

I’ve now booked everything for a July coaster trip, but I have one blank spot in the itinerary, a day when I hope I can be riding Leap-the-Dips but have no idea whether that will be possible.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Right off the website.

View attachment 2488
I didn’t see that — or maybe I just glossed right over it because it’s so uninformative, but I guess you’re right if you’re implying this is an optimistic sign: it’s clearly suggesting there will be a 2018 season! It’s just awfully late to have no information, and I hope that isn’t a bad sign. I know some really small parks can be slow in getting their scheduling act together, and in this case there are probably still quite a lot of decisions and logistics to sort out.

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out to me.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In that case, I can still say I have ridden the oldest operating wooden coaster in America - Wild One. :p

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
BUMP
After a two year closure for renovations, the park has announced that it will be reopening for the 2019 season, but not as a traditional amusement park. The focus will be on hosting events, including family reunions, summer camps, and sports games on new basketball and volleyball courts. Leap The Dips, Skyliner and Little Leaper will continue to operate on an individual ticket basis, however the Toboggan has been removed. More info can be found here: http://www.lakemontparkfun.com/renovations.html

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
BUMP
After a two year closure for renovations, the park has announced that it will be reopening for the 2019 season, but not as a traditional amusement park. The focus will be on hosting events, including family reunions, summer camps, and sports games on new basketball and volleyball courts. Leap The Dips, Skyliner and Little Leaper will continue to operate on an individual ticket basis, however the Toboggan has been removed. More info can be found here: http://www.lakemontparkfun.com/renovations.html
Thank you, ECG, for posting this news here — much appreciated.

It’s sad that the amusement park as it was is gone, as are some of the rides, but if this was the shift that was absolutely necessary to keep Lakemont Park in existence, then kudos to those who made it happen. Whatever the changes, all enthusiasts everywhere should be celebrating that the oldest coaster in the world will be reopening. That is awesome news.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Leap might not be amazing but it's a fun tiny ride... And has historical value. Although the parks other woodie would be a shame to lose. I haven't visited the park since 2007 but am trying to make a stop next summer, if it gets up and running.... On my way to or from Kennywood.

Snoo

The Legend
Shame you guys didn't truly enjoy it. I loved Leap the Dips! Yeah, it's not a world beater, but it didn't kill me. We rode it a number of times a few years back and enjoyed it. TBH, we may have kept riding it had we not had to leave. I think the park being a craphole didn't help. Hopefully these renovations really make it pop.