What's new

Oscars 2018

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
In the past, somebody has usually created a thread before now about Oscar predictions etc. It's a bit late considering the ceremony is tomorrow night, but hey ho. Let's start this off with your thoughts/predictions, and follow up with thoughts on the results.

Full lists are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90th_Academy_Awards#Nominees

Here's mine, not including s**te that nobody watches (foreign language, documentary etc.) or overly technical categories.

Best Picture

I've seen all of these now. Well, apart from The Post, which I gave up on halfway through. I think at least 5 of the 9 can be totally discounted to be honest.

Personal Choice: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Likely Winner: The Shape of Water, or Get Out as a bit of an underdog

Best Director

Got a feeling it could turn into a bit of a political/statement vote on this one.

Personal Choice: Guillermo Del Toro
Likely Winner: Guillermo Del Toro, but Greta Gerwig or Jordan Peele are also very likely given recent awards/Hollywood controversies, not that either one isn't deserving since both of their films were excellent.

Best Actor

I haven't seen the film with Denzel Washington, but that doesn't stop me "knowing" it won't be him.

Personal Choice: Daniel Kaluuya, though, honestly, none of them have blown me away. Not a strong year.
Likely Winner: equal chance between Daniel Day Lewis, since it's his "final" film, or Gary Oldman because impersonations always do well and it's his "turn".

Best Actress

Really strong category here, apart from the obvious inclusion of Meryl Streep for no reason other that it's Meryl Streep. Nope.

Personal Choice: Saoirse Ronan - effortless, but it's not her time yet.
Likely Winner: Frances McDormand - also totally deserved

Supporting Actor

I haven't seen Christopher Plummer's film, but as an "impersonation" role, he could get it.

Personal Choice: Sam Rockwell, but there's little to no chance since the "Ebbing, Missouri" vote will be split between him and Woodie Harrelson.
Likely Winner: Willem Defoe - deserved, since he was excellent in The Florida Project, but it's also his "turn".

Supporting Actress

Again, very strong.

Personal Choice: Laurie Metcalf - brilliant in Lady Bird and deserves more recognition generally.
Likely Winner : Alison Janney - not mad at this either; she's great in the role and again deserves the recognition.

Original Screenplay

I didn't see The Big Sick, but given its lack of nominations in other areas, it's not happening.

Personal Choice: Very torn between Three Billboards and Lady Bird - both were really witty, intelligent scripts
Likely Winner: Three Billboards, but it could very easily go to Lady Bird or Get Out

Adapted Screenplay

I haven't seen Mudbound, so no idea and don't know enough to make a judgement call. However:

Personal Choice: Molly's Game - it deserves a bit more recognition really.
Likely Winner: Call me by Your Name - because that boring load of s**te has to get something, and it's not taking the Acting or Picture awards.

Animated Feature Film

This is the one that annoys me every year since they vote "incorrectly". The vote should be for the best FILM that happens to be animated, but they always vote for the best animation, as in the technique. It's why s**t like Brave won; a f**king awful film with amazingly-animated hair. Anyway, this is a two-horse race between Coco and Loving Vincent. A shockingly bad selection apart from those two.

Personal Choice: Coco - Fantastic film, and it also has a very good chance because the animation is also gorgeous
Likely Winner: Loving Vincent - and this will be down to the animation technique; it's not as strong an overall package

Original Score

Honestly, I'm having to choose based on what I noticed/remember, which doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.

Personal Choice: Jonny Greenwood/Phantom Thread - gorgeous, very classic Hollywood/Max Steiner style
Likely Winner: Hans Zimmer/Dunkirk - because it really stood out in the film and was very in-your-face, it'll be remembered more by voters

Original Song

Hmmmmm, didn't think this was too strong this year.

Personal Choice: Mighty River - because Mary J. Blige
Likely Winner: This is Me - because it was f**king everywhere despite being all kinds of cliched triteness.

Production Design

I didn't see Blade Runner, but I don't think it's in with a chance anyway.

Personal Choice: Beauty and the Beast. Close second is The Shape of Water.
Likely Winner: Dunkirk - because war films always do well and it's less likely to win elsewhere - but Shape of Water could easily clinch it.

Cinematography

Haven't seen Mudbound.

Personal Choice: The Shape of Water
Likely Winner: Dunkirk (see above)

Sick of this now, can't be arsed with make-up/costume etc.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Best Picture

I haven't seen Phantom Thread yet (will try to during the weekend), but I'd rank the others as follows:
1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: I absolutely loved this, heads and shoulders above the rest for me. It has won quite a few awards, but the fact McDonagh hasn't been nominated for directing might not be too much in its favor.
2. Lady Bird: This was good fun and pretty well made for the genre.
3. Get Out: It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying it quite a lot.
4. Darkest Hour: The fact I can put this one so high shows this year's nominees haven't been quite up to part compared to some of the previous years'. Gary Oldman's performance certainly made what would've been an average movie pretty good.
5. The Shape of Water: Really well made, but the story was just a very regular fairytale and rather cliché.
6. Dunkirk: Again, very well made, but just not my cup of tea, since it was all about shots and effects, rather than an actual plot.
7. Call Me by Your Name: Started out really promising, but it was just too dragged out in the end. I remember checking the hour on my phone every minute towards the end of it. I liked the setting.
8. The Post: Boooring

Best Director

It'd be a surprise if Del Toro doesn't win this, though I'd personally prefer Nolan this year.

Best Actor

Gary Oldman, see above.

Best Actress

Some really good nominees this year (apart from Meryl Streep), but I loved Frances too much to even consider any of the others.

Supporting Actor

Sam Rockwell, loved him. Willem Dafoe was great too, Florida Project was very underrated, IMO.

Supporting Actress

Allison Janney, she was great in I, Tonya (plus that movie was better than half of the best picture nominees).

Original Screenplay

Three Billboards for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the others get it.

Adapted Screenplay

I haven't seen much here, but I'd be 'surprised' if Call Me By Your Name wins it. Was there really nothing better?

And that's about it from me, I haven't seen any of the films that only got nominations in technical categories, plus I never really know the exact difference between some of them, so I'm not commenting on those.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Best Picture
Personal Choice: Lady Bird
Likely Winner: I'm thinking Lady Bird. After Moonlight's win and with a much darker controversy having been revealed this year, I think the academy will be ready for some female representation. If not that, then probably Shape of Water cause Hollywood loves films about itself.

Best Director

Personal Choice: Paul Thomas Anderson
Likely Winner: Guillermo Del Toro, but I hope Greta Gerwig gets it because it's time for a female director to finally win.

Best Actor

Personal Choice: Daniel Day Lewis cause he is always amazing
Likely Winner: Gary Oldman, easy

Best Actress

Personal Choice: Frances McDormand
Likely Winner: Frances McDormand

Supporting Actor

Personal Choice: Willem Defoe, Rockwell did great, but I just have too many problems with his performance and the film.
Likely Winner: Sam Rockwell cause he's won all the other award shows. Defoe could win for his long career, but he is also a bit too indie and not an "Oscar" seeking actor usually. See Antichrist for example.

Supporting Actress

Personal Choice: Laurie Metcalf, amazing.
Likely Winner : Alison Janney, meh.

Original Screenplay

Personal Choice: Three Billboards
Likely Winner: Get Out, I think that the academy will want some good publicity, but it is also well deserved.

Adapted Screenplay

Personal Choice: Call me by your Name. Idc I love it <3.
Likely Winner: Call me by Your Name.

Animated Feature Film

Personal Choice: Breadwinner
Likely Winner: Coco, cause ABC runs it, and you'll never guess who owns ABC...

Original Score

Personal Choice: Phantom Thread
Likely Winner: Hans Zimmer/Dunkirk - because it really stood out in the film and was very in-your-face, it'll be remembered more by voters

Production Design

Personal Choice: Blade Runner 2049
Likely Winner: Shape of Water

Cinematography

Personal Choice: Blade Runner 2049
Likely Winner: Blade Runner 2049 cause Roger Deakins is a legend without an Oscar.

Little List of ones no one cares about
Film Editing: Baby Driver (probably Dunkirk tho)
Documentary: Faces Places
Best Foreign Language Film: A Fantastic Woman
Costume Design: Phantom Thread
Best Sound Editing: Baby Driver (Dunkirk will win, and it's offensive because Baby Driver has some of the best sound editing and mixing I've ever seen in a movie. THE MUSIC MATCHED WITH THE GUNSHOTS)
Best Sound mixing: Baby Driver
Best visual effects: Star Wars cause ABC

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Couldn't give a rat's arse about some famous people clapping each other on the back, sorry.

Yeah I'm with Sue and GWAS, not really arsed about the Oscars generally... but I am made up for Gary Oldman. Guy is a legend. Congratulations fella!