What's new

Efteling Replacing Python.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Just some quotes from the two loopings articles (one newer, one older) that confirm that it is just a retrack without a layout remodel. (First one is the one linked in the first post in the thread.)

"The new Python will be an exact replica. The amusement park has deliberately chosen not to adjust the course of the course. "The Python is an attraction that everyone knows and that people want to pass on to the offspring," says Efteling engineer Joost Schetters. "Everyone has a story with it, which is what the Efteling really wants to sustain.""
https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/8922/Fotos-dit-is-de-nieuwe-baan-van-de-Python-in-de-Efteling.html (with photos of the new track)

"The renewed rollercoaster will open on Saturday 31 March 2018. The course of the job - with two loops and two corkscrews - does not change. "The Python is an icon that we want to keep for future generations," said the information officer. The rail does get a new look."
https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/902...januari-afscheid-van-36-jaar-oude-Python.html

Last edited:

Peet

Giga Poster
Wow it has tubular steel ties instead of flat plates, this is going to look different!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
From Efteling's Facebook.
26240597_10156114157143854_4157233010176722934_o.jpg
26240455_10156114157048854_5035502147726795264_o.jpg

26757042_10156114157058854_5746335244019681569_o.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
Not sure if it's been answered, but will they be adding some new theming/better landscaping when they rebuild this?

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Such as missed opportunity! Couldn't they have designed something like Lech coaster? i.e. in the 'spirit' of the original (Vekoma after all) - but new generation, and with more scope to add a theme?

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Such as missed opportunity! Couldn't they have designed something like Lech coaster? i.e. in the 'spirit' of the original (Vekoma after all) - but new generation, and with more scope to add a theme?
That would mean all the supports would require to be redone. Which to my notice is not.

Ethan

Strata Poster
As the park said in the statement, Python is a beloved coaster across generations, so people would be sad to see it replaced.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
You could have said the same about The Incredible Hulk at Universal, how they could have 'improved' it (LSM launch, different style trains etc) but then it wouldn't have been The Incredible Hulk. Think of it a refresh rather than a replacement.

(I'm aware that the queue line for Hulk was changed but I understand the ride itself is pretty much identical)

Sandman

Giga Poster
^ The Hulk's replacement makes sense. It was still a popular ride, and one of the most recognisable coasters out there to the GP. It still has appeal. To my knowledge, Python isn't THAT popular, it's just loved by some of the Dutch in a nostalgic context. I don't think it gets the queues that the other coasters in the park do. Plus, if it was about nostalgia then the whole 'replacement' thing baffles me, because this coaster is just going to be a newly built clone. Similar to Dreamland in Margate, the whole idea that you are 'preserving' a part of history is unusual because you are literally getting rid of the history and replacing it with a shiny new clone that has no history. I think this is going to be a difficult bugger to market to be honest. "Here's a ride you've all been on before... but shinier and slightly comfier". I generally think they could of just gone the Corkscrew route, give it a good send off and move on, I can't see the punters complaining that way, especially if there's chance of a new major coaster.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Of course they could've replaced it with something better - but that's rather missing the point of the coaster's niche. Whilst something like Lech would be a much better coaster on paper, it just doesn't cater for the same audience as Python does.
Python is an entry level looping coaster nowadays - for guests that are ready to move up to larger creds, but aren't willing to go any further to something that's more intimidating (like Baron for example). It bridges a key gap in the lineup. Incidentally, when I was younger, my entry level loopers were Corkscrew and Magic Mountain at GL - not overly forceful, large or intimidating, but great fun for a kid! Don't underestimate the value of the nostalgia either, which make it something the whole family can ride.

In any case, I'm sure Efteling have space elsewhere if they really want to build something bigger.
Adding some theming to bring it up to the level of the rest of the park wouldn't go amiss though!

Sandman

Giga Poster
I get the sentiment behind the move, I just don't think it's a great idea. I view it in the same sense as Corkscrew, which was probably equally as nostalgic to a similar number of people here in the UK. Python could have had a pretty good send off, and the ride could be remembered fondly by it's fans, perhaps have something installed in the park in it's memory. However, I just can't see how a replacement Python is going to add to the park, surely if anything that nostalgia dissipates slightly due to the fact it is no longer the original ride, which is almost the "character" people love. I don't think Corkscrew fans would have been particularly arsed about a replacement Corkscrew. It's all about the original.

The exception would be if Python had a really good layout worth prolonging for many more generations, but there are plenty of similar rides across the world still standing. I think a totally new, unique "entry level" coaster would have been a perfect replacement for Python, one with a story and some fab Efteling touches to really round off that end of the park. On a side note, I'd totally keep Bob :p

Lofty

CF Legend
42e94bd1-f46a-4245-ab46-3cbb6b5215e0-original.jpeg

Efteling just posted this on to LinkedIn with the title "We hebben vandaag het eerste nieuwe baandeel van de Python geplaatst! ️ De bouw gaat hard, vandaag wordt de eerste looping al geplaatst. ", which translates as "Today we have placed the first new track section of the Python! ️ Construction is going fast, today the first loop is already being placed. "

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Video of the new tracks being put in place. Must say it is rather interesting to see how the track differs to the original track still in place on the drop. ...Although I still think this whole project is a waste of money.