What's new

Helix vs Taron.

Which is bestest?

• Total voters

Howie

Donkey in a hat
This being the case (the sound effect thing, not the me talking bollocks thing), that must mean that different areas of Klugheim are playing different segments of the ride music at the same time, right? In the absence of any actual on board audio, if the music is timed to one lap of the coaster, and there's more than one train in operation, then the music must be 'staggered' throughout the speakers on the ride circuit, yes? Otherwise the launch music at the start wouldn't be in time for one or more of the trains, correct?
Not arguing with anyone, just an observation. If true, that's quite clever, that. I'm impressed.

Anyways, back on topic - 11 votes each. G'waaaaaan Helix!
So glad this isn't the whitewash I was expecting :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This being the case (the sound effect thing, not the me talking bollocks thing), that must mean that different areas of Klugheim are playing different segments of the ride music at the same time, right? In the absence of any actual on board audio, if the music is timed to one lap of the coaster, and there's more than one train in operation, then the music must be 'staggered' throughout the speakers on the ride circuit, yes? Otherwise the launch music at the start wouldn't be in time for one or more of the trains, correct?
Not arguing with anyone, just an observation. If true, that's quite clever, that. I'm impressed.
I think you're right - but I think they also do use speakers in the tunnels and trenches to direct sound towards the train, which may be harder to hear from the pathways above. No proof of this, mind!

Anyways, back on topic - 11 votes each. G'waaaaaan Helix!
So glad this isn't the whitewash I was expecting
Oh, I'd forgotten to vote. That should help. ;)

Sandman

Giga Poster
My guess is that sections of Klugheim (near Taron) has short clips of audio which are somehow triggered and reset each time a train passes. It's more like IMAscore have packaged Phantasialand with different individual sections of sound effects separate from the actual soundtrack to use at different points. The sound effect after the second launch sort of blends in quite well with the natural sounds though, so maybe that's the confusion? ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'm just glad you've all done the legwork to prove my initial point and that I wasn't going bat**** crazy.

Also, I know most of the talk is about that flutter by the waterfall, but the soundtrack posted last also shows that there's a slight acceleration sound building into it that amplifies that sensation too. The bulk of the roar will be from the launch itself though.

See I think that Taron pushes everything to the limit far more than Helix. Personally I'm more about speed than inversions so perhaps that's the main reason I love Taron so so much. Don't get me wrong, Helix is still fab but for me just felt a bit floaty and not massively intense. You're right in that the soundtrack plays a massive part, but it's still a part of the ride so I'm counting it as part of the whole experience and a justified reason to love it. Also agree that the way in which they built helix around everything else is incredibly impressive, I just don't like the coaster as much as Taron.

It doesn't push airtime to the limit like Helix does, nothing on Taron comes remotely close to the airtime you get on Helix, and there's twice as much of it too.

Helix. Floaty? Assuming you mean the ride overall and not the airtime or inversions.

Helix's soundtrack is better than Taron's for me, but I mentioned the sound backing because I was specifically on about it enhancing the feeling of force with that second launch.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
It doesn't push airtime to the limit like Helix does, nothing on Taron comes remotely close to the airtime you get on Helix, and there's twice as much of it too.

Helix. Floaty? Assuming you mean the ride overall and not the airtime or inversions.

Helix's soundtrack is better than Taron's for me, but I mentioned the sound backing because I was specifically on about it enhancing the feeling of force with that second launch.

I'll give you the airtime- there's more of it on Helix and more forceful. I'll still stick to my guns with floaty as an overall descriptor for the coaster though.

Fair enough re the sound backing, I'm not sure whether it's genuine or not but I still love it...

It does seem like most of the love is for Helix over Taron, but I just still looooove Taron :)

zazobo

Hyper Poster
That's where I'm struggling with this concept.
Oooh look at that, the whole rest of the park below me and upside down.
Oooh look at that, a Lisebergbanan train racing us along the hill.
Oooh look at that, people on the flume waving at us.
Oh sh*t an uppswinget car in my face.
Oh look at that, the city skyline which I'm just about to become a part of.
None of that stuff interests you?
But wait, it's not just a lack of interest, it's a specific reason to mark it down.
We're one step away from saying it felt a bit too much like I was on a rollercoaster.

I still appreciate those things, totally, but can get ride interaction at many parks, even some of the more bland UK rides (runaway mine train and river rapids, for example) but I've not yet been anywhere as immersive as Klugheim personally. I just prefer mythical to real, personal taste only and not to say that what they've done with Helix isn't fab and joyous, just for me it's not AS special as Taron.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
It's a strange one for me - whilst I prefer taron, by quite a big margin, I can totally understand why people prefer helix.

Helix is such a special coaster - brilliant layout, smooth, great elements, good launches and just feels "big", yet somehow I don't like it as much as I think I should, and can't put my finger on why.

On the other hand taron has such snappy transitions, and is just great fun to ride.

All being said, I'm actually a little surprised quite a few other people prefer taron..

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
You do talk some bollocks sometimes.

Helix has 2 minor failings, weak assed launches and the heartline roll. Taron has no minor failings. Both are just ok during the day and excel at night.
They are pretty close to each other, at one point I preferred Helix, but Taron is better, by a little bit.
Taron doesn't have a heartline roll though ;)

I say Helix as it seems a lot more complete. Taron has a very repetitive layout

Sandman

Giga Poster
^ One of the reasons I love Taron is actually because it is unapologetically repetitive. It's very brash and brazen in it's delivery and doesn't try and cram in too much variation or conform to what is expected of these types of coasters nowadays. I feel as though they could have easily gone and chucked in a few inversions (since it seems neigh on impossible for a coaster of this size/length not to have at least 1). I also think whereas Helix seems to be an attempt to build a "complete" coaster, Phantasialand designed Taron with a specific idea of how it would thrill. I reckon Taron will always be more Marmite for people than Helix because it isn't an attempting to offer a wide range of elements and unique sections. But I suppose having more doesn't always mean being 'better'.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
^ One of the reasons I love Taron is actually because it is unapologetically repetitive. It's very brash and brazen in it's delivery and doesn't try and cram in too much variation or conform to what is expected of these types of coasters nowadays. I feel as though they could have easily gone and chucked in a few inversions (since it seems neigh on impossible for a coaster of this size/length not to have at least 1). I also think whereas Helix seems to be an attempt to build a "complete" coaster, Phantasialand designed Taron with a specific idea of how it would thrill. I reckon Taron will always be more Marmite for people than Helix because it isn't an attempting to offer a wide range of elements and unique sections. But I suppose having more doesn't always mean being 'better'.
I think you've explained it much better than I did. I'm all about speed and as Taron does this so well and in the brash and brazen way you rightly pointed out, it's totally up my ally.

Lofty

CF Legend
In terms of Taron's noises near the waterfall, that entire noise is generated through speakers nearby; at first it plays an energy rush/roar followed by the sound of debris and stones falling from the rockwork, it lasts a good 3/4 seconds after the train has even left that part - it's not sound reverberation etc.

Also, Taron pisses over Helix.

Will

Strata Poster
Admittedly, I can only base my opinion of Maverick on what google/rcdb just gave me, but I can't imagine it comparing favourably to Taron. It has nasty trains.

JSM

Mega Poster
Admittedly, I can only base my opinion of Maverick on what google/rcdb just gave me, but I can't imagine it comparing favourably to Taron. It has nasty trains.
If those pictures you are seeing are showing it with the gross hard Intamin OTSR's, just know that it has the soft ones now. I still hate the lap bar part of them though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Yeah Taron is quite a lot better than Maverick and I Loved Mav, that was with the horrible restraints as well. It will be interesting to ride it again after a lot more experience, as it was near the beginning of the journey.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I just remember how hyped up Maverick used to be (pre-Taron, Helix days). It does look pretty insane, but kinda like it could be really rough in the near future.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I just remember how hyped up Maverick used to be (pre-Taron, Helix days). It does look pretty insane, but kinda like it could be really rough in the near future.
It wasn't rough when I rode it but it needed bracing because of the restraints. The switch transitions hurt big time if not braced properly, or they did anyway.