What's new

"Now Showing"

Edward M

Strata Poster
Then we have IT. Where to start on this.

It's probably the one book I've re-read the most in my life. It's not my favourite book, but I find it really easy and enjoyable to just drop back into and to read again and again. So I know the source material really well. There was very little chance that the film could ever meet the full potential of the book, and I'm kind of okay with that. There's a lot of stuff King writes which is brilliant on the page, but utterly laughable on screen (I'll circle back round to this in a bit).

The basic story is simple though. Group of kids discover that an evil monster is in town killing kids. They band together and defeat it. So far, so Goonies. The film captures that basic story very well. It helps that (for the most part) the face of the monster is a terrifying clown. The acting is excellent and it's great to see some really good filmwork happening in a Stephen King adaptation. Hurrah for modern filmmaking by numbers.

However, it kind of all falls apart somewhere. I think the issue is that the focus on the heart of the story was lost and instead the focus fell on "The Clown". As good an antagonist as Pennywise (and as well presented in the film), you never felt like anyone was ever in any danger. There wasn't enough peril because all the time Pennywise was backing off or taking it too slowly. I know this is to produce suspense (and part of the idea of the whole idea of Pennywise), but it didn't work. It just felt a bit cheap.

So reasons it missed? Mostly it's the bond between the kids. The story revolves around their friendship. They're thrown together (much as they are in the film), but there's a special connection that they grow between them (not just the underage sex thing at the end :p ). It's built on the growing paranoia that Derry has hanging over them and the town. The place is constantly ominous, with the kid's trust in the adult world slowly eroded away that makes them cling together. Each has a near fatal meeting with Pennywise that helps them then adhere in a force against IT. Their experiences are all potentially deadly. It's never Pennywise in their first encounters either.

So that brings us back round to the point earlier. Some of the things they experience in the book would be stupid. Even the house which appears to become a clown and be ready to eat them (which could have been done in a decent enough way I guess if subtle) is thankfully missing. However, Eddie's leper isn't. Even worse, it looks like a reject CGI model from Scooby-Doo. But... I kind of think that's how it should be. In the book, what the kids see is something "cartoonish", the things they encounter are terrifying to them, but clearly unreal. However, it just didn't work in the context of THIS film as it looked stupid.

So the film is missing the heart of the book. It doesn't touch on the latent skills each child possesses that makes them - as a group - a formidable enemy to IT. Without that side of things, you feel it's just a run of the mill horror - which it pretty much is - only you know the main characters won't die like they do in grown up horrors.

It's just another Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday 13th - introducing a new evil character for the film industry to abuse for years to come. Don't get me wrong, Pennywise is great at times, it's just that he seems toothless (haha) and a bit incompetent. IT in the book is arrogant, but never stupid. Never ridiculous...
1e5.gif

Point proven.

Anyway, I detached myself from the source (I really did) and watched it as a film in itself, on its own merits. It's a mediocre horror. Clowns are scary. Kids getting attacked by clowns is scary. IT made damn sure it got the mileage out of those two things. Great acting, some good visuals and directions. Tension here and there (but mostly a damp squib). 6/10

I'll go and see the second part, but I'm not excited to go and see it.

This. This is exactly what I felt. It just felt like the studio wanted another Freddy Kreuger or Jason (like you said). They wanted a film where on Twitter people say "IT was sooo scary! Oh my god that clown wtf." It worked. It's likely going to be the biggest horror film ever and is making the money that superhero blockbusters make. The marketing was brilliant, and it was the kind of film that people would say "You have to see. That clown was sooo scary." It was also a film that was good enough. No one is going to leave IT offended; it's serviceable. However, I think that the current curse of Hollywood films is not the bad movie but the mediocre movie. Marvel films are mainly mediocre, serviceable fun that make $1 billion. This makes more creative decisions harder to greenlight for a studio. Serviceable fun is unoffensive and easy to swallow; it's what a studio wants. In the end, film is not an art form to a studio. It's a money making machine. Universal didn't like Get Out more than Jurassic World. They are going to make a Jurassic World cinematic universe because it is going to make insane amounts of money. I have no issue with studios making films for money; it is a business after all. It's just sad to see film after film be servicable, mediocre, and ultimately forgettable. In the end, we will get 52 Jurassic Worlds for every Mad Max: Fury Road. Also this:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Kingsman: The Golden Circle.
Yep yep, good stuff. More of the same, really, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
It's brash, loud, preposterous, gratuitous, sexist, foul mouthed and thoroughly reprehensible. On the other hand, it's 2 and a bit hours of some of the most thrilling, entertaining nonsense you'll see for a while. Is it as good as the first one? Hmm, not sure, ultimately that will be down to personal taste, but I reckon most viewers should rate it as there or thereabouts. There's plenty of what made the first one so enjoyable, but just about enough new stuff to keep it from being a literal remake.
Killer robot dogs are a highlight.
As is Elton John.
Julianne Moore looks strangely arousing as a megalomaniac nut job.
The term 'Goons' is actually used.
Yep, I liked it. 4/5.

Will

Strata Poster
I had a free afternoon and I usually really like Darren Aronofsky, so I went to see Mother.
As many of the critics have said - disappointing. The first hour was alright and built up mood and suspense, which ultimately didn't really deliver anything, other than a further hour of random strangers trashing a house while Jennifer Lawrence wailed a lot.

I was expecting the usual obsessive/fanatic/addict slowly loses their tenuous grip on reality which is the recipe for basically all of his other films, but a quick google tells me this was not the case. It'd probably make more sense with a second viewing... but that would mean sitting through the boring bits again, and there were a lot of them. 5.5/10

davidm

Strata Poster
Blade Runner?
Yeah.
Let me tell you about Blade Runner...

--

Went to see Blade Runner 2049 last night. Firstly though, you have to understand something about my relationship with Blade Runner (the original I mean); well, it's "my film" - that film that just works for you. You acknowledge its flaws, yet they don't matter, you just love it because of what it is. I first saw it when it first came out in the cinema, was a AA rating and so we acted older than we were and got into the Saturday afternoon matinee (was actually the second week of its release, but we'd all been talking about it in school through the week). Vividly recall sitting there in the darkness (in what is now the Wetherspoons in Stafford) and the low bass notes of the opening sounds of the movie vibrating through my entire body. I was hooked from then on. Through watching it obsessively on crap TVs and poor quality videos (FFWD thru the ad breaks), then home video was a thing and I had a "clean" copy, then rumours started about "directors cut" - back in the cinema to see that then - and mysterious "workprint" versions... then widescreen videos happened (god awful picture on a widescreen VHS of course, but that did not matter), had the PC video game back in '97, then DVDs of it, "final cuts" as well, books about it (ended up buying that twice as the second version had a new chapter) - ending with the ultimate collection DVD box set of a few years ago (and that elusive "workprint" version).

Yeah so ; "my film".

So when it turned out that 35 years after the original came out there was going to be a frankly inconceivable sequel to "my film", I was worried. Very worried. Would they just ruin it all? The people involved in making the sequel had a lot of credibility though (and rather glad Ridley Scott was not directing it to be honest as his re-visitations to his other sci-fi franchise, while I have quite liked them, have not been great) so this did temper my worry a bit.

I'll put this in a spoiler block, but I'll try not to spoil it anyway;

Had avoided any reviews of course, but had got the general impression from the "buzz" in the last few weeks that it was going to be OK so booked up to catch it opening night (like I was going to be able to wait any longer than THAT) on the local huge IMAX screen (actually for an IMAX its not that big a screen I think, picture is good though and the sound superb) and settled down probably more excited than nervous by now.

It opened well - deliberately echoing the opening of the original, but different and then for the next 2.5 hours or so (its a long, slow film) I was back in my world of 30-odd years of stored up geekness - LOVED IT.

So yeah - pretty slow, absolutely beautiful to look at and the sound/score was also awesome. Still a few flaws plot wise and a few dodgy scenes, but full of clever stuff like the original, full of little references to the original (which worked better than the bigger references to the original I think). But different enough to the original to be standalone and Gosling was a worthy Blade Runner #2 to Ford in the original - even if a lot of the film was just Gosling wandering around quite slowly, looking somewhat confused by it all :)

TL;DR - yeah, great stuff - happy. Phew.

And one of the first characters we meet in the film is called Morton, how can you not like that! :p

--

Couple of extra comments ; IMAX was good to see it on, 3D not necessarily though, movie wasn't better for it and wearing the silly 3D specs for that long was uncomfortable. They were giving out some mini-promo posters as I left, so picked up a cheapo frame at lunch today - new geek artefact obtained :)
37487705836_3a269efd89_o.jpg

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
So, was it any good or not?
I liked the backstory bit - the tv version, the VHS version, the widescreen VHS version, the director's cut, etc etc etc...
Been there, done all that, just.... not with this movie. Certain other Sci Fi franchises, sure, just not this one. Was never a fan, sorry. I mean, it's lovely to look at, and very well acted, etc... but man, there's not a laugh in it. Not one.

Edit: And erm... 'AA rating? How old are you, again?? :eek:

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
AA was 14 rating back in the day, you can work it out...

(and actually there were at least 2 laughs in the new one :) )

--

Also meant to say that theres 3 prequel "shorts" for the film too - only just watched them, the first one is a bit rubbish (10 min anime) but the other two are OK in a "deleted scenes" kinda way;

2022 : _www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ
2036 : _www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ
2048 : _www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg
(just posted the links rather than previews, as bits are a bit graphic)

Last edited:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blade Runner?
You acknowledge its flaws,

Wash your filthy mouth out!!! ;)

I don't have quite as complex a relationship with Blade Runner, but it's also one of my all time favourite bits of cinematic experience. I never saw the original in the cinema (AA? I didn't realise you were THAT much older than my Lord M!), but when it premièred on TV I wasn't missing it - as both a huge Ford and Scott fan I just couldn't.

It was quite a shock. I loved Alien by that point (and all Sci-Fi, but Alien in particular), but the pacing and sheer spectacle of Blade Runner was like nothing I'd experienced. The pondering, gorgeously lit scenes, this incredible world with the superb bluesy/futuristic/noire soundtrack. It just all came together in an incredible experience.

Along with Alien, it's the one film I've tried to experience on every format released. VHS initially, cinema (Alien they did a trilogy showing at the Apollo in Stafford in 1992 I think it was - Blade Runner the director's cut), special edition releases on VHS, DVD and finally Blu-Ray. Also soundtracks :)

So I do understand the kind of obsession. It's not just generational though, Minor_Furie also adores Blade Runner.

So I took him to see 2049. Wow. It was another spectacle of light, sound, pondering and just - well - it's just watching pure art on the screen. It's almost a pure cinema experience. Minor_Furie at one point was so engrossed he almost fell off his seat he was drawn in so much. It's just an assault on your eyes and eyes.

I loved that the soundtrack was lovely and "dirty" in a way that was counterpoint to the dirt city and cleaner sound in the original, but the city was as clean as the sound in the original. Like visual and audio swapped between films to set a slightly different mood.

Again, the film is ponderous and meandering - it's not a film you watch to be excited.

There's one scene where K is flying over the city too which is right out of Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep (yes, I read the novel many years back too :) ). It was great to see that it used the source book and also stuff from the original film continued in this version.

It's not the perfect film, it's not a film for everyone, but it was for me :) 5/5

I also managed to catch Baby Driver. The film starts brilliantly. I did wonder though "can the film keep up this level of brilliance right through?" No, it couldn't. It starts with this slight kind of fantasy nod, like you're living Baby's day dreams and it was superb. It slowly descended into much more common action film faire, but it's still a cut above most others. It's got a fantastic style and flair - plus a killer soundtrack. It just never lived up to the expectations it set out in the first half an hour or so, but still a brilliant, entertaining watch. 4/5

I can't remember if I reviewed IT on here, but no need to because Furie basically hit the nail on the head. I didn't feel any sense of dread of horror throughout the film, and it lacked any extremely suspenseful moments, but it did have good acting and was fairly decent entertainment.

Anyway, on the topic of good old Stephen King, I watched Gerald's Game last night and it was actually pretty good apart from the very end which I didn't love and found quite unnecessary. The acting was pretty good, and for a movie that is almost entirely about a lady chained to a bed with some flashbacks of her past thrown in, the movie did a good job of keeping my attention. There were a few creepy moments and one very creepy character, as well as one moment where the gore actually got to me a little bit (I am not one to be disturbed by blood or guts almost ever). Simple premise and good execution, though I am not sure how it compares to the book as I have never read it. 7.5/10

I also watched The Babadook, which I thought was a decent horror film. I thought the acting was really good and they really did a good job setting such a bleak and dank atmosphere. You can really sense the despair and dread in both the main characters and it didn't feel like most horror films where there is no character development at all, resulting in a lack of concern about what happens to them. The Babadook was a unique and creepy character, and the book was equally frightening! I felt it was a bit slow to get started, although that did add to the character development so I guess I can't really complain. 7/10

peep

CF Legend
I saw some films at the weekend. Started with Lego Ninjago Movie. I love the previous two Lego films, they've been pretty amusing and they look incredible. Well this one was still fun but nowhere near as good. The visual effects team yet again did an amazing job creating a world out of fake lego bricks and I love the little scratches and lego logos on individual pieces. It's worth catching on a chill Sunday afternoon or something.

Blade Runner 2049. This film looks absolutely wonderful, I love the use of colour and the way everything felt futuristic. However it might be one of the most boring films I've ever seen. A film that had a story that could be told in 90 minutes stretched out to nearly 3 hours is just self-indulgent and unnecessary no matter how pretty it looks.

The Party. I remember seeing the trailer a while back and thinking it looked amusing but maybe artsy and annoying. I didn't need to worry, it was absolutely superb. It takes a little while establishing the characters and then it all kicks off and it's an absolute joy with some hilarious moments. It reminded me of the film/play Carnage with how it's essentially a bunch of peeps in a room arguing in an amusing way. If you get a chance to check it out (probably on TV/home release as the cinema release has been tiny) I highly recommend.

The Snowman. I was semi-not looking forward to this, I love a good detective film/show but I found the girl with the dragon tattoo a little dull and so being from the same book writer I was hesitant. With a decent cast and (some would say great director) I still went in hopeful. Oh jeez it was a huge mess and umm, save yourselves and don't bother. The director has since come out and said they rushed into production and didn't film everything to tell the story and well that was very clearly the case. There's stuff in the trailer that even hints at bigger scenes that just never happen. It's just poorly made with huge gaps in the story and a terrible ending and on top of that Val Kilmer is weird and constantly looks like he isn't saying anything remotely to the words you hear. Just avoid.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I anticipated that Blade Runner 2049 might be boring after hearing so many stories, but I really didn't have a problem with that. I was so immersed into the film that I didn't mind that they took the time to tell the story. Audio-visually it's a masterpiece. Great atmosphere too. Story-wise it's quite good but not groundbreakingly amazing. So basically, similar to the original Blade Runner. Pretty much what most of the fans were hoping for anyway, I guess.

peep

CF Legend
Last night I went to see Thor Ragnarok and it was awesome. I love the director's previous work (What we do in the shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople) so was excited to see what he'd do with a huge Marvel blockbuster. Well, it certainly has a lot more humour and the colours and soundtrack are really exciting. It feels like a lot happens and at times it does jump around from location to location quite a bit. There are certainly some bits that work better than others but overall it's just extremely fun.

I don't recommend seeing it in 3D and there are two end credit scenes.

Will

Strata Poster
I finally got around to watching The Hive last night.
Despite ending up a little zombified, Kat Prescott's character was probably the least interesting in a film that actually delivered a fair bit more than I was expecting - with a better budget and production values, it could actually have ended up being pretty good. The genre is an interesting mix of horror, mystery and sci-fi, although the dash of teenage romance thrown into the mix somewhat detracted from the end product - I don't approve of things being cured by 'love', especially when the characters have known eachother under a week and spent approximately no screen time together.
That rant aside however, the plot was interesting and kept my attention and I appreciated the obvious nods to other films.

peep

CF Legend
Saw The death of Stalin last night. It was good but the trailer spoiled a lot of the best bits for me. The cast is fantastic, Simon Russell Beale is brilliant, steals pretty much every scene he's in. It drags in some places and I think some parts are probably funnier if you have a better understanding of the history of Russia (I certainly don't). So it's alright and certainly not for everyone but if you enjoy The thick of it/Veep then you'll enjoy this.

Will

Strata Poster
I watched Angel Heart last night.
Despite decent performances from most involved, the film disappointed and after a promising start completely died on its arse for a tedious hour, before a rushed and relatively predictable climax. Felt like it had been done (better) before on several occasions.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The Snowman. I was semi-not looking forward to this, I love a good detective film/show but I found the girl with the dragon tattoo a little dull and so being from the same book writer I was hesitant.

Tsk, tsk. Not the same guy. Not even a guy from the same country. Stieg Larsson, a Swedish writer, wrote The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The Snowman is by Norwegian Jo Nesbø. Not defending the movie here, but get your geography straight. Yes, you struck a sore nerve. Confusing Norway and Sweden, what has the world come to...

I just saw Geostorm. And I'm just amazed. Flabbergasted. Dumbstruck. As in, struck by how incredibly DUMB this movie was.

Having seen the trailer, I knew the filmmakers didn't quite understand the fundamentals of termodynamics. But as the movie went on, it went from "They didn't get the thermodynamics right" through "Actually, they didn't get the physics right at all" to "Nobody involved with the creative process of this movie could possibly have passed - nay, attended - Science class on a secondary school level". And then after butchering physics, it went on to repeatedly leap in the face of all logic like a salmon up a waterfall. I patiently waited, tried to pay close attention, and thought it all through afterwards, and I didn't find a single instance of the film getting a single piece of scientific or technical detail right. Not one. They got everything wrong. Literally. The technical stuff I could understand, but neither did it understand anything about management, politics, basic decisionmaking, human reactions to any situation whatsoever, any natural phenomenon, even goddamn traffic. The film also went through every cliché on the checklist. Name it, it was in there. The evil Brit. The black guy (well, minority) who dies first. The brothers reconciling. The noble heroic sacrifice the hero makes it out of anyway. When the big, red countdown to disaster (90 minutes, to the second!) appeared on a large screen, the whole audience laughed.

It got to the point where it could have worked as a spoof film. It could have been salvaged if it had dared go all over the top. But it took itself way too seriously for even that. Apparently, this movie was made with a straight face.

On my way home from the cinema, I debated whether this or After Earth was the dumbest, most intellectually insulting movie I've ever seen. I think I'd call it a tie. It's not a "leave your brain at the door" film. It's a "leave your brain and your whole education at the door, and forget it where you put it afterwards" film.

Final verdict: 1/3

peep

CF Legend
Tsk, tsk. Not the same guy. Not even a guy from the same country. Stieg Larsson, a Swedish writer, wrote The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The Snowman is by Norwegian Jo Nesbø.

Ha, apologies. I think my brain thought it read that somewhere (the same writer), didn't even bother checking who wrote Dragon tattoo.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Thor Fragglerock

I've never been a fan of Thor films. Thought they were pure garbage to be honest. After GotG2, seeing the trailer for this had my cringing. After the forced comedy of that movie, I was afraid this was going to be the same. It was genuinely funny. Stupid funny, but not beat you over the head Grown Ups 2 in space (GotG2) "funny."

I thought the way they had the different parts of the movie were great. Thor can't carry a film on his own, neither can Hulk, but together it was great. I wanted to hate it going in, but I just couldn't.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk