What's new

Coasters you really like (but haven't ridden)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
We all know one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and that one shouldn't really judge a coaster before you've been on it an unspecified number of times.

However, that's not always so easy. Often, you come across coasters which look amazing in pictures and videos, other people say they're great, and maybe they include some ride gimmick, design philosophy, or fancy technical solution that really excites you. Without fully meaning to, you end up really liking the coaster, even though you haven't been on it yourself.

For me, this happens with some regularity. I think Maverick was the first coaster to really stand out to me, with its rather novel way to break the mold of "gimmick coasters" by casually including a mix of elements that other coasters would have been completely centered around. Launched lift hill, beyond-vertical drop, airtime, tunnels, terrain hugging, a launch, and inversions... all in one package. It was unique, the coaster got a solid reputation, and it just looked good to. As a final cherry on top of its image, it did it all without breaking any size or stat records, unlike most of the other coasters at Cedar Point. Maverick is a coaster I really like and respect, even though I've never been closer to it than 3000 kilometers or so.

What about you? Have you got some favourites among the coasters you haven't ridden? One where, upon hearing/seeing its name in conversation, you think "yep, that's a good one!"? I'm sure I could come up with other examples of mine, but first I'd like to hear about your un-ridden favourite coasters.

EDIT FOR CLARITY: This was not meant as just a "coasters you would like to ride" thread. It's about the coasters you already have an opinion on, despite not having ridden them, and why you like them already.

Last edited:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Taron and Lech immediately spring to mind.

Most of the RMCs too. SteVe, LR, and WiCy especially.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

TilenB

Strata Poster
We all know one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and that one shouldn't really judge a coaster before you've been on it an unspecified number of times.

Why not? We have a whole competition based on that...

I want to ride an RMC, just to see what the fuss is all about. And I'd gladly ride some of the newer Intamins that have popped up in the recent years. Taron and Flying Aces were nothing short of fantastic for me.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Millennium Force was always the one I liked the look of, especially many years ago when Europe only really had Silver Star & The Big One in terms of 'big coasters'.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Taron is probably the main one for me. Just looks fantastic and seems to have everything I look for in a coaster, including theming. Eejanaika looks like X2 on steroids which is a coaster already on steroids, so, yes, I’m dying to ride it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
There's loads, but top of the pile right now is Storm Chaser, I am a total sucker for aggressive ejector, and the inverting drop...drooooool.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Storm Chaser and Lightning Run look like the two most crazy/insane coasters in the US. Can't believe one park has such a crazy one two punch. I need them in my life. Fury looks amazing too.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Helix, DC Rivals, Wildfire, Lightning Rod, Expedition GeForce, and Flash are the first that come to mind for me.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
T-Express, DC Rivals and Flying Dinosaurs are really high on my bucket list. I tend to overrate rides located very far away from me, and these 3 are among the best exotic creds imo!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
T-Express, DC Rivals and Flying Dinosaurs are really high on my bucket list. I tend to overrate rides located very far away from me, and these 3 are among the best exotic creds imo!
I think I'm slightly less hyped about DC Rivals compared with others. As for Asia, top of my bucket list are some of the same ones: 1. T-Express 2. Flying Dinosaur 3. Starry Sky Ripper 4. Formula Rossa
Europe: 1. Taron 2. Wildfire 3. Expedition GeForce 4. Helix 5. Shambhala 6. Karnan

TLARides

Hyper Poster
The Smiler is one that springs to mind. That's the one I have a good opinion on.

Fury, Maverick, almost every overrated coaster I have a bad opinion on and I've only ridden a small handful of Cedar Point coasters.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I really admire the new Vekoma layouts, the transitions please me like nothing else. Also love how interesting rides like Maverick and Storm Runner are. Everything else falls into "I think I would like this".